Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous
I know this is a dead horse, but Arizona and Texas are terrible models for everything. Except for cherry-picked statistics.
|
My son, his mom and I all live in north central Phoenix and the area is amazingly diverse. Mom is fluent is Spanish from having lived in Mexico City as part of a Christian outreach.
I've gotten to know the Hispanic crews that are renovating Jeremy's apartment complex; they all drive big fancy trucks and own their own home.
I know certain areas or apartments as 'new immigrant' places. They usually know at least some 'welcoming' phrases. Picked up a couple of gals and tried to get to know them. I quickly realized they weren't fluent in English and I asked "no comprendo" and they repeated what I said and added 'Si'.
I know the areas where many Eastern Europeans live.
Grand Canyon University, a Christian sponsored school has grown from a seed to now have 20,000 students. It is located in one of the worst parts of the city west of mid-town. Many of the students do outreach in the neighborhood as a part of their education. Picked up a couple from Washington State whose daughter is going to school there. They were aware it was not in a good area. I told them that 90% of the people were hard working good people. They agreed.
Here's my point:
These people don't care what their children's school scores on some arbitrary test. They tend to love their neighborhood schools and like the teachers and care about their children learning enough so that they can grow up to share in America's dream of opportunity.
Phoenix has an impressive Community College system. Many Hispanics (for example) come out of these places being very desirable employees due to being bi-lingual. Others may go on to graduate from ASU and they get high-paying job offers.
But with respect to the whole metro area it is very diverse is various ways including schools. People find their own comfort zone and I think that is just fine.