HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11981  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:35 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,901
Is that a City of Toronto Logo to the right ("Mainstreet")? It has the same font and colour and everything, and looks like the little city hall logo too.
     
     
  #11982  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:11 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
There's much to love, and hate, about Winnipeg. The area around rndsqr's 90 Alexander is a good example: on the one hand, rich kids are moving in pushing out the poor; on the other, there's still plenty of rundown vacant properties and grunge. This project is taking forever it seems.
Interesting take, but I wouldn't say the stuff in the East Exchange is pushing the poor out... the area was mainly light industrial (warehouses, sewing factories, in the case of 90 Alexander, metal manufacturing) before the recent wave of residential conversions.

You would have a hard time finding an example in Winnipeg of classic gentrified neighbourhoods where young money comes in and pushes out working class or poor residents.
     
     
  #11983  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:36 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
Brenton Suites in Halifax. This one's interesting to me in that it would have qualified as a major project in about 2005 but now it feels like one of many background projects. Partly that is because it is on a side street surrounded by other buildings of similar height. The one built behind this in 2010 or so looks very dated now (it kinda looked dated then). The stacked box already feels a bit old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
This looks pretty much done from the street now. Upper levels almost completely cladded. Cute chocolate shop/cafe at street level. I think it turned out very well!



     
     
  #11984  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:42 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Y'all may get the impression I hate Calgary; not true: I was rather sad to leave the city for Edmonton on Saturday, 16th July. (OTOH, I was relieved to be escaping Deadmonton the following Monday morning.)

One of the most interesting new rental buildings I saw, CY 33 by rndsqr in Marda Loop:

OMG! That's the finished product?!? I felt the overhyped renderings to be unrealistic but, that's a huge downtgrade. I personally don't find it interesting. I'm not a fan of the cladding. I've seen it used alot so one can't even say it's different. I certainly don't like the two tone stripes either.

rendering
https://www.avenuecalgary.com/sponsored/rndsqr-is-making-waves-in-marda-loop-with-cy33/
     
     
  #11985  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:54 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
It looks like the Edmonton library had a goiter and threw it at Calgary.

Awful.

Awful and embarrassing.
     
     
  #11986  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:04 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ LMAO... now that is one colourful description
     
     
  #11987  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:21 PM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
I agree CY33 looks very different than its renderings. It looks like it belongs in Winnipeg or Saskatoon - aka very agricultural. I wouldn't want to rent there.

I took most of these photos end of June to early July. Here's an eyesore rising downtown Nanaimo:

Another one in Sidney:

D'arcy Jones produces mostly good stuff in Victoria. Rotunda is my favorite:



Not so appealing, at least in grey stucco (something more colorful would work) is Pearl Block

Stucco can look great if its colourful, like Wilson Commons in Esquimalt


Otherwise, Victoria's building functional yet dull buildings



And horrendous suburban sprawl in Langford etc
     
     
  #11988  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:40 AM
zoomer's Avatar
zoomer zoomer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,055
/\ good Victoria pictures actually. For the most part yes, functional if somewhat dull buildings - I mean they look decent, the street interaction is usually quite good. I do think we need more buildings that are really stand out, or are beautiful in their simplicity or thoughtfulness in design. After the Big One destroys most of downtown and the real interesting buildings (that were ridiculously huge and bold well over a hundred years ago and even now - Empress, Parliament, etc.) what will be left - but a sea of meh..

The third to last pic you posted is.. well functional - it’s the new downtown firehalls with affordable housing above, yet I think it’s pretty cool. I mean how many downtown firehall in Canada look like this? My pic of the front side, obviously still under construction:

Johnson Street Firehall - July 2, 2022 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Another recent completion - nothing wrong here, wouldn’t even call this one dull, just ‘nice’, but that means it’ll likely stand the test of time.

Quadra and Johnson Street - Victoria BC by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Hudson One - I’d say it’s one of the best 20-30 storey condos built in Canada this past decade:



Source

DSC02422_DxO by Gary Hoyer, on Flickr

Although now it has an ugly rental sibling tower behind it.

As for mentioning urban sprawl in Langford - what city are you from again? I’m sure you know Victoria has one of the lowest private auto only commuter rates in the country, one of the highest percentage of all dwellings being multi-unit buildings and a high proportion of residents being close to downtown - check and compare and contemplate reasons why for Canadian cities here:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/220209/t008b-eng.htm

Those are just a few measures, others I’m sure are out there that get to the heart of sprawl. Langford is the only area where there is any land left to build SFH subdivisions, and the lack of such options is why prices here are so high as the rest of the core has long since been built out or the land protected. There is not much land to sprawl, although true, they did sprawl all over Bear Mountain, yet how is that Langford sprawl any different than North Vancouver or West Vancouver which has way more houses all up the mountain for miles. Langford is building towers now with plenty in the high teens, low 20 storeys in the proposal stage - heck even on top of Bear Mountain there are plenty of condos, including this 18 storey beast one under construction:



Source: https://www.victoriahomesgroup.com/building_details/bldg-16874/OneBearMountain
     
     
  #11989  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:00 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Re: Stucco

I would say what makes it is the rough finish more than the colour.


Victoria is exactly what I wish Kitchener, etc would follow or continue on that trajectory. The high rises tend to be modest in statue and design. It's the human scale street level activities that are top notch. Some of these sites have a significant slope much like Kitchener.
     
     
  #11990  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:05 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
It looks like the Edmonton library had a goiter and threw it at Calgary.

Awful.

Awful and embarrassing.
The Edmonton Library did cross my mind but I settled on a self storage structure. There's a massive self storage boom underway in the GTA (at least) with many buildings having this scale. The amount of storage space will probably double in the next 5 years.
     
     
  #11991  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:57 AM
cranes's Avatar
cranes cranes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 474
Kitchener Garment Street Tower 3 (27 floors)
First wave of occupancy expected September 2022
Realtor tour posted Aug 11, 2022

• Video Link
     
     
  #11992  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:39 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,901
love that shot at 1:40 above King St. Exciting to see Kitchener start to finally develop a real skyline.
     
     
  #11993  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:03 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
the above grade parking levels suggest an eventual super block podium. The parking is well hidden and the first phase is interesting at street level.
     
     
  #11994  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:03 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
love that shot at 1:40 above King St. Exciting to see Kitchener start to finally develop a real skyline.
Yeah, it's really exciting to see Kitchener develop a denser and tighter core. Looking like more and more of a downtown with each passing year.
     
     
  #11995  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:45 PM
Maldive's Avatar
Maldive Maldive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,163
55 Mercer | 155.5m | 47s | CentreCourt | IBI Group l u/c

Great start on the red and charcoal precast brick … pretty much exactly what CentreCourt render-promised. Great developer.


Red Mars

Red Mars

Love the warehouse vibe of the podium. Elevation drawing below:


UT

Red Mars

Red Mars

UT

Canary Landing | 89.61m | 26s | Dream | COBE Architects l u/c

The light play on the tallest tower is amazing from some angles. Like a complete grey scale though the cladding is white.


Rascacielo

The (actual) white angled cladding.

skycandy

Rascacielo

75 Broadway Avenue | 117.34m | 38s | Hazelview | WZMH l u/c


3D

Domenico

St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour l u/c


Red Mars

Red Mars

Love the deep blue curtain-wall above the orange fins.

Red Mars

In the shadows (centre of photo) behind historic St. Lawrence Hall with One Yonge’s “Prestige” on the right and the 2 towers of Sugar Wharf Phase 1 left of centre rising behind.

kotsy

19 Duncan | 186.53m | 58s | Westbank | Hariri Pontarini u/c

19 Duncan u/c on a glorious day.

Red_Bulmer

Red Mars
     
     
  #11996  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:39 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
I'm pleasantly surprised with the faux warehouse podiums too. This should be bare minimum at the price per square foot in Toronto but, alas, it isn't. Canary Landing is growing on me. It was never the architecture. It's that it occupies a very long street front with slight design variations using the same materials and colours. I'm definitely not feeling Sugar Wharf's wallpaper but, kudos to aA in finding another wallpaper concept. North Market is great.
     
     
  #11997  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 8:49 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
Some Halifax updates:

Werkliv student housing by Dalhousie

Source


The Mills. This one will have a courtyard in the middle.

Source


The Governor

Source


Townhouses, part of Ben's Bakery redevelopment near Quinpool Rd

Source


Cunard

Source


The crane visible behind the Cunard site in the previous photo is for some construction happening around the base of Fenwick Tower

Source


5415 Cogswell

Source


Source


Elevation on Robie

Source


Richmond Yards

Source
     
     
  #11998  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:06 PM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised with the faux warehouse podiums too. This should be bare minimum at the price per square foot in Toronto but, alas, it isn't. Canary Landing is growing on me. It was never the architecture. It's that it occupies a very long street front with slight design variations using the same materials and colours. I'm definitely not feeling Sugar Wharf's wallpaper but, kudos to aA in finding another wallpaper concept. North Market is great.
I agree. Making podiums contribute more toward the streetwall with masonry and retail activation is a great contributer to a solid urban neighbourhood like this.
Canary Landing may not be the most attractive project necessarily, but it's interesting, and does a great job with it's materials.
I'm liking how 19 Duncan is turnign out. I recall being excited for it 7 years ago, but nowadays I find it more interesting for it's mixed use elements rather than it's architecture.
     
     
  #11999  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:51 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
7177 Quinpool Rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post
     
     
  #12000  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:30 PM
Maldive's Avatar
Maldive Maldive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,163
11 YV | 212.44m | 62s | Metropia | Sweeny &Co l u/c

Picking up the pace now that it’s out of the ground.

Benito
Like the new yorkie stepped massing.

UT

Garden District Condos | 99.97m | 32s | Hyde Park | a—A l u/c

Typical aA rectangle except for the cantilever and the complete “recreation”/reconstruction of the facades of three-storey brick buildings dating from the 1860s (combining Victorian gables with Georgian massing).

PMT

Benito

PMT

Benito

PMT

JAC Condos | 108.5m | 34s | Graywood | Turner Fleischer l u/c

Includes another (see above) heritage “recreation”/reconstruction, this one is a 1865-built Beaux Arts style heritage home that was on site (the Sheard Mansion).

UT

Benito

UT

4800 Yonge Street | 168.24m | 49s | Menkes | Arquitectonica l excavation

168 metres is quite tall for North York. I think this tops Hullmark Centre by .27 metres, so new tallest in North York.

Link

AlbertC

North York isn't tall but can be shapely with 4800 Yonge, the 2 flaring Emerald Park Towers and the Nestle Tower all clustered together.

Link

Ivy Condos | 102.41m | 32s | Dream | RAW Design l u/c


Benito

UT

900 St Clair West | 43.69m | 12s | Canderel | BDP Quadrangle l u/c


UT

AlbertC

Not sure if there's a thread for Laneway Housing, but if you're looking for land downtown to build on... there’s a pile of laneways in the city (plus they’re cool). Here's a few:


Link

Ward8

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.