HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7821  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 7:54 PM
Highwayman Highwayman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I expect we'll get a storm of happy-thought pieces from Jets management and our local sports media about the Bowness hiring, but unless he's able to start putting a considerable amount of wins together I doubt Jets fans will be buying. Hate to say it, but it looks like the decade (or more) of mediocrity has begun.
Doubtful. He's not a bad coach and he did well in Dallas. He's the exact opposite of Maurice and that's what we need. We seen what having Maurice 2.0 in Lowry did. Absolutely nothing. Just another coach that caved into the old man's club on the team.

I think this will be a better decade as we pretty much flushed 75% of the useless coaching staff away. There is so much more going on then just head coach here. New Head coach, New assistant coach , New defensive coach. Only one I wish they also got ride of was our Goalie coach as he's done nothing with Helles game. Almost all the other teams in the NHL just replaced their head coach. We did alot more. And we've been asking for this to happen since 2018.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7822  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 8:40 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
Frank Seravalli on his show today said emphatically jets won't trade Scheifele. I am ok with that as he still has probably 3 to 5 years of prime hockey left in him. So obviously Wheeler and PLD will be the main targets to move out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7823  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 1:10 PM
pspeid's Avatar
pspeid pspeid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Doubtful. He's not a bad coach and he did well in Dallas. He's the exact opposite of Maurice and that's what we need. We seen what having Maurice 2.0 in Lowry did. Absolutely nothing. Just another coach that caved into the old man's club on the team.
True, but I'm not sure the Jets needed "not a bad coach" at this point in their history. I think Jets fans have held out hope that their deep playoff run of a few seasons ago could be repeated with a "big name" as coach. This hiring seems to confirm that Jets fans have to lower their expectations for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7824  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 6:03 PM
Danny D Oh Danny D Oh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Frank Seravalli on his show today said emphatically jets won't trade Scheifele. I am ok with that as he still has probably 3 to 5 years of prime hockey left in him. So obviously Wheeler and PLD will be the main targets to move out.
I put zero stock into any rumours like this on the Jets because the organization is so closed that there are hardly ever any leaks, especially on the personnel side.

I mean two of the main insiders just reported that Tocchet was the hire.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7825  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 7:10 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,723
The hiring of Bowness is a disappointment and it just proves in my mind that the Jets braintrust has to change before things are going to get better. I was willing to give Chevy the benefit of the doubt until this happened but he needs to go. They need to revamp their front office. They could have used the Blackhawks debacle to get rid of him at that point but unfortunately they didn't. Bowness is going to be a caretaker at best.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7826  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 7:16 PM
Highwayman Highwayman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
True, but I'm not sure the Jets needed "not a bad coach" at this point in their history. I think Jets fans have held out hope that their deep playoff run of a few seasons ago could be repeated with a "big name" as coach. This hiring seems to confirm that Jets fans have to lower their expectations for the foreseeable future.
But really was Trotz going to take this team to the cup? There was so much hype around him we sounded like Leafs fans, the parade was already booked.

There is a reason why he was fired.
There is a reason all the other teams backed down on him.
I personally think the man was being honest when he said his heart is not 100% into the game anymore. So even if he did sign. What were we getting? Not the Trotz of the media's hype that's for sure.

Yet this new coach is not like we just picked anyone. He's got a good track record in the last 5 years. I don't honestly care what a coach did 15 years ago. It's the present which is important. He also isn't going to bow down to Wheeler. Which is the best thing I can ever hear. He's got a very good track record with the players. All of them speak highly of him ( Dallas ).

I think if we can dump Wheeler, keep PLD ( which I'm very sure he will stay if Wheeler is gone ). Scheif isn't going to leave. We might be able to sign a nice veteran D if we dump Wheeler . Everyone thinks the team is in rebuild mode. Far far from it. You are in rebuild when you don't have any star players signed. And we still have the core. A core alot of teams would die for. We have a goalie that teams would die for ( yes he had an off year ) big deal. All goalies do. And maybe Helle was just tired of Wheeler's — also. An unhappy team isn't going to play well. And that was proven as each time Wheeler was gone the team played better and won more. The moment he came back the team fell apart. There is a common denominator in that.

Remember the Blues a few years ago....last place and won the cup. Then look this year. President Trophy winners ( Panthers ). Out first round.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7827  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 7:20 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,723
Sorry, but I fear you will be sorely disappointed. Bowness is not the answer and he didn't have to be. They would have been better off taking a chance on an up and coming younger coach. I'm a big Jets fan but I'm being realistic. Bowness was a comfortable choice by a front office that needs revamping.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7828  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 7:29 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Sorry, but I fear you will be sorely disappointed. Bowness is not the answer and he didn't have to be. They would have been better off taking a chance on an up and coming younger coach. I'm a big Jets fan but I'm being realistic. Bowness was a comfortable choice by a front office that needs revamping.
bingo!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7829  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 8:54 PM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,854
Nolan Baumgartner as a possible defensive assistant!? Baumgartner was run out of Vancouver along with Green due to the shitshow that was the Vancouver Canuck's defense the past several seasons. Their defensive structure improved after he left.

So it's possible Winnipeg would actually replace one terrible defensive coach In Huddy with another in Nolan. But hey, he grew up with the Manitoba Moose and he is familiar so I guess that what counts most.

Chipman and True North seem very Trumpian, " I want loyalty!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7830  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:09 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
I will give Bowness some slack as he has had decent success with Dallas and hopefully can improve our defense. I think people thought Trotz would be the savior like they did in Toronto when they first signed Babcock. I don't think he would have won us a cup. This is a flawed team that lacks a lot of physical presence since Buff left and you need that to be competitive in the Central. I hope we can brush out Wheeler and PLD to help clean up the locker room mopey attitude. If this team makes the playoffs and maybe wins a round that would be a big success for them and at this point i think that is the most we can hope for given the situation of how hard it is to attract players to play here we need to draft and prospect our way out of this rut as usual.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7831  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:09 AM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is online now
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,380
I'm giving Bowness a chance. Depending on free agency in the coming weeks, and any pending trades on what will eventually be our roster after training camp, I'll be gauging our team's progress in December/January.

By then, if we have a very good record, then we are on the right track. If we are barely edging over or just below .500, then we have narrowed down who the factors are in the Jets success, provided that the current core remains intact by then, or if Wheeler is shipped out before training camp.

I've been hearing so much doom and gloom associated with Bowness, but you know what? I don't care. We have a coach now, and the results will speak for themselves come next season.

I trust Chipman at this point that Chevy is kept at a short leash. I've mentioned this previously, but if we royally f**ked up this season with a crappy record, well below .500, we are going on a rebuild in the season after.

This coming season we are hanging on by a thread, and this will be the last ditch effort of any chance of making it into the playoffs next year.

If by a series of fortunate events, and a bit of dumb luck, happens to come our way, then maybe some suspected "locker room cancer" that we (probably) traded away in the off season did work in our favour.

Again, this is all speculative.

Despite from what I'm reading from other channels and social media, again, I'm giving Bowness a chance. I'd take his recent successes over his overall failures over his coaching career any day. Whether one or the other weighs more would be a you problem at that point.

My expectations have gone low going into the next season and beyond. I just hope that this won't be the only shakeup in the next year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7832  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 2:28 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,204
The list of coaching finalists just shows how important a connection to the Jets or Manitoba is for True North. It also shows how they continue to chase the well worn paths instead of taking risks on younger players and coaches.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7833  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:25 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,371
I feel like Bowness is a stop gap waiting for Trotz next year,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7834  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:26 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
Trotz ain't happening and Trotz wouldn't change much as our roster has many flaws we are not a cup contender
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7835  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:36 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,371
Trotz is happening somewhere next season.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7836  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:53 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
Arniel will be an assistant. I am wondering how many other former Winnipeg products are out there to round out the staff?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7837  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:09 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Arniel will be an assistant. I am wondering how many other former Winnipeg products are out there to round out the staff?
Still waiting on confirmation of Lucien Deblois, Hannu Jarvenpaa and Eldon Reddick's intentions to join the coaching staff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7838  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:23 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Arniel will be an assistant. I am wondering how many other former Winnipeg products are out there to round out the staff?
Mike Eagles and Troy Murray will be brought on as analytics consultants and Dave Manson will be brought in as a part time anthem singer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7839  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:35 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
From Twitter

Illegal Curve Hockey Retweeted
Dave Minuk @ICdave

Rick Bowness said he’s already spoken to Mark Scheifele and Adam Lowry.

Went on to speak about how great the conversation went with 55.

Said the Jets centre is “all in” for next season.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7840  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 9:36 PM
Highwayman Highwayman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 311
LeBrun is also reporting that the Winnipeg Jets have a third-year option on Rick Bowness’ new coaching contract worth $2.5 million per season. LeBrun writes, “Rick Bowness’s two-year deal also includes a club option for a third season. So it’s two years guaranteed plus the option. Salary for the third option year closer to $3M


***I didn't know coaches went that low for salary lol.**** Least we know he's only here for 2 years and maybe 3. Sounds to me like that Trotz option can still happen when he's ready. I also understand that Rick may not have wanted to coach longer then 2 to 3 years given his age. But I like to think positive so I'm going with the Trotz plan or if Queenville is allowed to coach again as he said he'd like to, and now it's up to ButtMan
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.