Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport
I can't be happy about higher interest rates, even if I agree, in theory, that they were far too low for far too long. I am paying a variable rate, and while I bought my home awhile ago (2014, 8 years after purchasing my first home), I still have a substantial mortgage, and every half point rise adds years to paying off my mortgage, and thus extra years that I need to work beyond normal retirement age. Do I really want to have to work 3-5 extra years? Is that better than high inflation?
|
With all due respect, you're crying the privileged woes.
I have a couple of friends who bought way too much house based upon insanely low interest rates. I had a serious talk with one of them.. to no avail.
We knew this day of reckoning was coming, many chose to ignore it. It's as if 2008 never happened, so short is our memory.
Interest rate hikes affect the asset class, inflation DESTROYS the middle and working class.
While I'm sorry that you may have to pay a more realistic mortgage rate, for the other 80% of the population the situation is much more worrisome.
It's amazing to me that we've walked right back into this - after having experienced 2008!
Only this is an everything bubble burst that will make 2008 look like a mere rehearsal.
I'm sure you'll struggle through, somehow. Be strong!