HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #14481  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:08 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
They're still trying.

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #14482  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:17 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Yay!

Distressed Deals Pile Up in Canada’s Once-Booming Housing Market
Prices are falling in some of the urban markets that had the biggest increases over the past two years. That’s leading to broken and renegotiated deals.
By Ari Altstedter
June 17, 2022

Zohal Habibi hadn’t even moved into her new home in the suburbs of Toronto when she started regretting the purchase. “We took a very bad decision,” she says.

It’s not about the house itself. She and her husband are excited about the extra space it’ll give them and their two young kids. The problem is the price they agreed to pay for the three-bedroom home in March: C$920,000 ($711,000).

Not long after, prices started to slide, and quickly. By the time their lender got around to appraising the house in May, it marked the value down to C$800,000. A second appraisal a few weeks later was even grimmer -- C$740,000...

... In the US, 30-year mortgage rates have nearly doubled in a year, reaching levels not seen since 2008, while in New Zealand houses are failing to sell at auction since the central bank started raising rates.

In Canada, though, the market downturn is starting to develop a momentum of its own, and flashing a warning to policy makers elsewhere trying to use shock therapy to bring their own wild housing markets to heel...


https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...market?srnd=premium-canada&sref=x4rjnz06
     
     
  #14483  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:31 PM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yay!

Distressed Deals Pile Up in Canada’s Once-Booming Housing Market
Prices are falling in some of the urban markets that had the biggest increases over the past two years. That’s leading to broken and renegotiated deals.
By Ari Altstedter
June 17, 2022

Zohal Habibi hadn’t even moved into her new home in the suburbs of Toronto when she started regretting the purchase. “We took a very bad decision,” she says.

It’s not about the house itself. She and her husband are excited about the extra space it’ll give them and their two young kids. The problem is the price they agreed to pay for the three-bedroom home in March: C$920,000 ($711,000).

Not long after, prices started to slide, and quickly. By the time their lender got around to appraising the house in May, it marked the value down to C$800,000. A second appraisal a few weeks later was even grimmer -- C$740,000...

... In the US, 30-year mortgage rates have nearly doubled in a year, reaching levels not seen since 2008, while in New Zealand houses are failing to sell at auction since the central bank started raising rates.

In Canada, though, the market downturn is starting to develop a momentum of its own, and flashing a warning to policy makers elsewhere trying to use shock therapy to bring their own wild housing markets to heel...


https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...market?srnd=premium-canada&sref=x4rjnz06
Deeply concerning. This goes back to the bank being far to aggressive. I do hope they are now seeing that their actions were to much to quickly.
     
     
  #14484  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:30 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Deeply concerning. This goes back to the bank being far to aggressive. I do hope they are now seeing that their actions were to much to quickly.
Hardly. This doesn't even bring housing prices remotely into line with incomes.

Bring the hammer down down and only those who were foolish enough to wildly overpay during the last 18 months get hurt.
     
     
  #14485  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:32 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Deeply concerning. This goes back to the bank being far to aggressive. I do hope they are now seeing that their actions were to much to quickly.
You mean the Bank of Canada? Inflation rates are still way above target and real interest rates in Canada are negative. The US raised rates by 0.75% and most people seem to think the BoC will do 0.5-0.75% in July.

I think it shows how much we are in la-la land with runaway inflation, insane asset prices, and lots of people freaking out at the prospect of going up past 1.5% interest rates or so, which are historically low (roughly just what we had in 2019?).
     
     
  #14486  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:33 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Hardly. This doesn't even bring housing prices remotely into line with incomes.

Bring the hammer down down and only those who were foolish enough to wildly overpay during the last 18 months get hurt.
exactly this phony real estate economy bubble needs to end.
     
     
  #14487  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:34 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You mean the Bank of Canada? Inflation rates are still way above target and real interest rates in Canada are negative. The US raised rates by 0.75% and most people seem to think the BoC will do 0.5-0.75% in July.
Yep and if the BoC doesn't keep up with US rates the loonie will dive, making inflation even worse for Canadians.
     
     
  #14488  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:07 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,695
I can't be happy about higher interest rates, even if I agree, in theory, that they were far too low for far too long. I am paying a variable rate, and while I bought my home awhile ago (2014, 8 years after purchasing my first home), I still have a substantial mortgage, and every half point rise adds years to paying off my mortgage, and thus extra years that I need to work beyond normal retirement age. Do I really want to have to work 3-5 extra years? Is that better than high inflation?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #14489  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:13 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I can't be happy about higher interest rates, even if I agree, in theory, that they were far too low for far too long. I am paying a variable rate, and while I bought my home awhile ago (2014, 8 years after purchasing my first home), I still have a substantial mortgage, and every half point rise adds years to paying off my mortgage, and thus extra years that I need to work beyond normal retirement age. Do I really want to have to work 3-5 extra years? Is that better than high inflation?
Without knowing how old you are, very few of us were adults during the last period of high inflation when the cost of goods would increase monthly. A constant erosion of your salary and for retirees on fixed incomes it can be devastating.
     
     
  #14490  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:15 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,695
I'm 52, and I recall the stagflation of the 70s/80s very well.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #14491  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 11:04 PM
theman23's Avatar
theman23 theman23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ville de Québec
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I can't be happy about higher interest rates, even if I agree, in theory, that they were far too low for far too long. I am paying a variable rate, and while I bought my home awhile ago (2014, 8 years after purchasing my first home), I still have a substantial mortgage, and every half point rise adds years to paying off my mortgage, and thus extra years that I need to work beyond normal retirement age. Do I really want to have to work 3-5 extra years? Is that better than high inflation?
I lived in London until 2014 and recall you could get a genuinely nice house there around that time for 300k. Surely you’ve built up quite a bit of equity since then? Might be a good idea to sell and move back to a cheaper jurisdiction like Quebec when you’re ready to retire.
__________________
For entertainment purposes only. Not financial advice.
     
     
  #14492  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:40 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
Rural Canada renaissance could be great. With investment in housing stock. So much cheaper land so close to the city. Especially in old railroad suburbs. The best bones. Vegreville is 1H from downtown Edmonton on a direct to downtown CN line. But mostly abandoned. Prices are 1/3 the city. Reopen Vegreville subdivision to passenger service and boom! Town!
     
     
  #14493  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:43 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
How would I know? My old hometown. It's quirky charming and was damn near made the capital in 1905. It finished 3 to Edmonton and Calgary and has had a complex about it ever since. It also used to have the most important county fair besides Calgary in Alberta. All for a town that maxed out at 5700 souls since the 1970's
     
     
  #14494  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 4:35 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I'm 52, and I recall the stagflation of the 70s/80s very well.
We are heading into another period of stagflation, when you account for how the formula to calculate the CPI has been manipulated. It's not the same CPI that was used in the 70s-80s.

Central banks will never be able to achieve real positive interest rates due to unprecedented levels of debt.

Interest rates that are 9-10% lower than the real double digit inflation % is still extremely dovish. All the hawks are extinct.
     
     
  #14495  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 7:20 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,226
West Vancouver illustrates how local governments contribute to Canada’s housing woes

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-vancouver-canada-housing-crisis-policy/

Quote:
The result is that three-quarters of the people who work in West Van don’t live here, according to estimates by the district. Only 9 per cent of our municipal staff – including firefighters, police officers, bus drivers and librarians – live in the community. Among major employers, fewer than 10 per cent of workers with BC Ferries’ Horseshoe Bay terminal in the west and less than a quarter of public school teachers live in West Van, according to figures I received from the district.
     
     
  #14496  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 8:18 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
I hope this threads title finally makes sense. I'm feel8ng pressures from family in B.C to pack up and move there from Toronto. I really don't want to leave Toronto for tge Sunshine Coast. If only the name was the reality of the climate.
     
     
  #14497  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 8:30 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Well hey at least they have the mildest winters in the country lol.
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #14498  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 8:42 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
True but put me down as someone that likes all 4 seasons, though I'm usually good with a short winter. Fall being my favorite season can't be beat in eastern Canada.
     
     
  #14499  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 8:48 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Ya in Fall everything on the West Coast is still green.
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #14500  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 9:29 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Well hey at least they have the mildest winters in the country lol.
They're the tallest midget
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.