HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6101  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:19 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,000
YOW February pax stats:

Sector / Feb-21 / Feb-22 / % Change
Dom: / 19,182 / 103,471 / +439.4%
TB: 0 / 5,271 / #DIV/0!
Int'l: 0 / 10,432 / #DIV/0!
TTL: 19,182 / 119,174 / +521.3%

Sector / YTD 2020 / YTD 2021 / % Change
Dom: 53,256 / 201,232 / +277.9%
TB: 0 / 10,539 / #DIV/0!
Int'l: 0 / 20,075 / #DIV/0!
TTL: 53,256 / 231,846 / +335.3%

12 Months Rolling / % Change vs Year End 2020
Dom: 1,291,926 / +25.2%
TB: 21,781 / -86.6%
Int'l: 35,672 / -78.8%
TTL: 1,349,379 / -73.6%

The meaningful indicator these days

Month-Over-Month Change
Sector / Jan-21 / Feb-21 / % Change
Dom: 97,761 / 103,471 / +5.8%
TB: 5,268 / 5,271 / +0.1%
Int'l: 9,643 / 10,432 / +8.2%
TTL: 112,672 / 119,174 / +5.8%
Avg/Day: 3,635 / 4,256 / +17.1%
     
     
  #6102  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 4:32 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Through comments on Porter's Instagram page, they have indicated that their E195-E2 seating configuration will be similar to their Dash 8-400s, with two seats on each side of the cabin, all within the same class.

They indicated, again, that routes will be announced in the coming months. Apparently the E195-E2 is due to visit them again in a few weeks.
I can't wait for Porter to start in YOW!!! I'm hoping they add bare basic routes for a city of 1.5 million people like Las Vegas or San Fran.
     
     
  #6103  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:16 PM
VaskoYOW VaskoYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
I can't wait for Porter to start in YOW!!! I'm hoping they add bare basic routes for a city of 1.5 million people like Las Vegas or San Fran.
Porter are currently flying from YOW to Toronto YTZ, Halifax, Fredericton and Moncton! With the addition of the E195-E2 hopefully we do get some transborder routes and maybe Mexico.
     
     
  #6104  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:15 AM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
Porter are currently flying from YOW to Toronto YTZ, Halifax, Fredericton and Moncton! With the addition of the E195-E2 hopefully we do get some transborder routes and maybe Mexico.
Sorry, that's what I meant haha. I meant I can't wait for them to start with the new jets. Ottawa is long overdue for destinations like Vegas and California. Could Porter finally be the one to fill those gaps? I hope so.
     
     
  #6105  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:11 PM
wingman's Avatar
wingman wingman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
Sorry, that's what I meant haha. I meant I can't wait for them to start with the new jets. Ottawa is long overdue for destinations like Vegas and California. Could Porter finally be the one to fill those gaps? I hope so.
Depends on their connection options imo. For single destination, they would be major winners I think... but for onward travellers, AC would more than likely still be king in the short term. That being said, there is a major opportunity there. My understanding is Porter has an agreement with JetBlue from BOS and EWR.
     
     
  #6106  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 4:39 PM
Tesladom Tesladom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 590
Not enough demand for YOW-SFO without factoring US and international connections agreements from SFO, but that would be tricky since all you connections need to line up.
Westjet used to do YOW-LAS, there is a market there for 3x weekly especially if conventions really start up again
     
     
  #6107  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 10:24 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Not enough demand for YOW-SFO without factoring US and international connections agreements from SFO, but that would be tricky since all you connections need to line up.
Westjet used to do YOW-LAS, there is a market there for 3x weekly especially if conventions really start up again
They'd definitely need two things to make YOW-SFO/LAX/LAS work:
1) A bank of feed flights
2) Interlines with international carriers and a codeshare with the likes of AS that is #2 at SFO.

Today's departure count: 48
     
     
  #6108  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 11:03 PM
Coho Coho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 132
Long time lurker, first time poster..

I would love to see some more evening transborder flights out of YOW to allow for post-work connections. Would definitely utilize them to get out of town on a Friday night after work and come back Sunday evening for quick weekend trips to Boston, NYC, Washington, etc.

I was disappointed to see that UA had removed their 3rd daily YOW-EWR that left around 6 or 7 pm (started in June I think?). I'm also booked on AC's YOW-DCA on a Friday in May that was scheduled to leave at 6pm but have to now use a vacation day since it was changed to an 8am departure.

As for Porter, if they could Interline with Alaska that would be amazing. I'm originally from the West Coast so have a ton of Alaska miles as they were always my go to when flying to the US but now they're somewhat orphaned since AA doesn't even fly from YOW. If I want to redeem them I'd have to fly out of/into YUL.
     
     
  #6109  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 11:28 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
They'd definitely need two things to make YOW-SFO/LAX/LAS work:
1) A bank of feed flights
2) Interlines with international carriers and a codeshare with the likes of AS that is #2 at SFO.

Today's departure count: 48
YOW's O&D numbers for SFO seems to be close to 50k and Vegas over 50k from the data that was posted here back in 2017. Honestly in my opinion, I have full confidence this could work! Especially if they feed Ottawa with passengers from Moncton, Fredericton, and Halifax and time the flights properly so they can connect here. I do hope Porter does some type of codeshare with AA. Pure speculation on my part: but I think they might, because if you look at Porter's future route map, almost all US destinations are hubs for AA. but again, 100% speculation and hopeful thinking. Would be nice to slash off 2-3 hours of travel time from Ottawa to Hawaii let's say by going through SFO than YVR.
     
     
  #6110  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 11:37 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 9,255
I am taking an evening YUL-SFO flight next month and would love a direct flight from YOW. Was there ever a direct flight during the 1990s high tech boom to SFO or SJC?
     
     
  #6111  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 12:42 AM
HighwayStar's Avatar
HighwayStar HighwayStar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PHX (by way of YOW)
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I am taking an evening YUL-SFO flight next month and would love a direct flight from YOW. Was there ever a direct flight during the 1990s high tech boom to SFO or SJC?
Yes…. YOW-SJC (believe it or not) on AC with a 319 in 2001…. Lasted for just a couple of months. I was working at Nortel at the time and was THRILLED as Nortel was about 20 minutes from SJC. Never did fly it though.

Not sure if 9/11 was the nail in the coffin, or something else.

Only “proof” I can find is this tangential reference.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/432720-time-yow-sjc-again.html
     
     
  #6112  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 2:39 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster..

I would love to see some more evening transborder flights out of YOW to allow for post-work connections. Would definitely utilize them to get out of town on a Friday night after work and come back Sunday evening for quick weekend trips to Boston, NYC, Washington, etc.

I was disappointed to see that UA had removed their 3rd daily YOW-EWR that left around 6 or 7 pm (started in June I think?). I'm also booked on AC's YOW-DCA on a Friday in May that was scheduled to leave at 6pm but have to now use a vacation day since it was changed to an 8am departure.

As for Porter, if they could Interline with Alaska that would be amazing. I'm originally from the West Coast so have a ton of Alaska miles as they were always my go to when flying to the US but now they're somewhat orphaned since AA doesn't even fly from YOW. If I want to redeem them I'd have to fly out of/into YUL.
Lurk no longer. Welcome to the forum!
     
     
  #6113  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 7:25 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,000
Today's departure count: 41
     
     
  #6114  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 9:55 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,000
Today's departure count: 44
     
     
  #6115  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 12:58 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Yes…. YOW-SJC (believe it or not) on AC with a 319 in 2001…. Lasted for just a couple of months. I was working at Nortel at the time and was THRILLED as Nortel was about 20 minutes from SJC. Never did fly it though.

Not sure if 9/11 was the nail in the coffin, or something else.

Only “proof” I can find is this tangential reference.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/432720-time-yow-sjc-again.html
I also remember it. I think it was the huge tech slowdown in the early 2000's that killed it (though I am sure 9/11 didn't help either).
     
     
  #6116  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:30 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I also remember it. I think it was the huge tech slowdown in the early 2000's that killed it (though I am sure 9/11 didn't help either).
What also killed it was everyone wanted SFO for connections to UA, but AC didn't want to hand over traffic to UA, especially transpac traffic. So AC essentially set it up destined to fail. Remember RDU, which was dubbed the Nortel Shuttle and was sustainable with 50 pax 'cause it could be flown with a CRJ, also died shortly after SJC...but it lasted a lot longer and for a couple of years even peaked at 2x daily.

Today's departure count: 49 - the most since early January + a hockey charter to DTW.

Last edited by Dominion301; Apr 11, 2022 at 5:17 PM.
     
     
  #6117  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:32 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 760
Wow SJC.... Never thought that ever existed. Either way, I'm way too excited to hear what Porter's plans will be for their new jets! Apparently they commented on someone's post on Facebook stating that they will release plans for initial routes in late spring. Here's my major hopes that are pure speculation for me: a codeshare deal with AA (easier access Pacific destinations from SFO, slashing at least 2 hours from travel time), basic transborder routes for a city of 1.5 million people where we don't have to go through Toronto for (LA, SFO, LAX, etc.), and free wifi (haha).

By the way, is this article true?
https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/202...e-seats-available-from-frankfurt-airport

It says Lufthansa is starting in Ottawa this June but nothing is bookable.

Last edited by fanofYOW; Apr 12, 2022 at 3:56 PM.
     
     
  #6118  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 6:28 PM
RomanR27 RomanR27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
By the way, is this article true?
https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/202...e-seats-available-from-frankfurt-airport

It says Lufthansa is starting in Ottawa this June but nothing is bookable.
Doesn't appear so. Interesting though, the St. Louis mentioned in that presser is bookable. Would be funny if FRA on LH came back before AC888/889.
     
     
  #6119  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:05 PM
YOWflier's Avatar
YOWflier YOWflier is offline
Melissa: fabulous.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YOW/CYOW/CUUP
Posts: 3,197
Makes you wonder what information the author has that made her write it.
     
     
  #6120  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:32 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
Makes you wonder what information the author has that made her write it.
Either the outdated pre-COVID info or maybe she has insider info that it'll launch in 2023?

Today's departure count: 43
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.