HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


View Poll Results: Electric Vehicle Ownership Poll
I own a BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) 7 21.88%
I own a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) 2 6.25%
I own an HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) 2 6.25%
I'm considering a BEV (Tesla, LEAF, Bolt, etc.) 6 18.75%
I'm considering a PHEV (Volt, etc.) 6 18.75%
I'm considering a HEV (Prius, etc.) 3 9.38%
I would only buy a non-electric gas or diesel car 3 9.38%
I don't want a car 4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 4:42 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yes adding trucks would spread some love to more rural areas but of course most would be purchased by suburban commuters anyway. Even the cheapest vehicles are more than most Canadians spend on a vehicle if you include used.
EVs are more expensive than the average new vehicle. But the average new vehicle in Canada costs over $45k. The average used vehicle price is over $25k. Hardly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Given what we spent on pandemic support if we are really in a climate crisis shouldn't we spend whatever it takes? Everybody has a price. Most of my driving is road trips so I'd need a substantial discount and probably a ICE tax before I would switch but 90% penetration is probably doable with a $25k subsidy.
We neither need, nor could manage an immediate jump to 90% penetration. Also, EVs already have a lower total cost of ownership compared to gas vehicles. And that difference is only going to grow with larger electrified vehicles like pickup trucks. The most attractive thing about the F-50 Lightning is going to be that it costs $10-24 to fill up (pricing depends on when charging is done at home) compared to $120 for the usual gas F150 fill. So really, the subsidies are about closing the purchase price gap enough to get buyers to seal the deal. That doesn't mean massive subsidies are needed. The price difference between a similar gas/diesel and electric vehicle is $10-15k depending on the model. The subsidy probably need to about half to two thirds of that difference to increase adoption. And that gap will go down over time, so the subsidy should too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Back of the envelope that would cost maybe $40 billion a year. Climate change aside it probably saves just from air pollution more lives than $40 billion in Covid spending.
If we're spending $40B a year, there's a lot better ways to cut emissions than subsidizing people's cars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:23 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.