Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204
A concern of the West valley line from Downtown to Lewis Farm Estates, is how are they going to lay the tracks down Stony Plain Road from 124 St to 139 St NW? I've driven through the area numerous times, and unless they are planning on buying tons of homes and razing them, I have no idea how they are going to make room for a rail line, unless they completely close off all vehicle traffic, and make it into a LRT/bike lane route only.
|
It's going to cause a snarl and that's almost the intention.
I attended three consultation sessions and focused specifically on the section of the route between 121 St and 142 St. We were told each time that the route and the configuration were always in draft form and that issues such as running a streetcar down the middle of the road and removing car lanes were never intended to be permanent fixtures in the design.
The Glenora stop is especially weird. An LRT requires density to operate efficiently and that's what you see at most stops along each route. But Glenora has a lot of development restrictions so there's going to be a stand-alone stop in the midst of a lot of single-family dwellings. Sure, there's a school, but that accounts for perhaps four stops per day.
I've spoken to a few property owners there and they assure me that my concerns about density there are unfounded. I think they're dreaming. Once the route and the stop is chiseled in stone then the rezoning and property development will follow.