HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7941  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 2:54 PM
InTheBurbs InTheBurbs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan.x.ito View Post
ADOT has released the Final Tier 1 EIS today, and it looks like they've chosen Alternative 7 as their selected route for Sonoran Corridor. (This is the alternative that starts at Rita and ends at El Toro) https://azdot.gov/planning/transportatio...or-tier-1-environmental-impact-statement
If they follow the Alvernon alignment south of the airport, hopefully when they decide on the 210 extension to I-10 they continue south and link the two. But it looks like there might be a gap between I-10 or Valencia and Aerospace by the airport.

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/interstate-10-and-state-route-210-study



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7942  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 8:01 PM
AZ71 AZ71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Tucson
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
If they follow the Alvernon alignment south of the airport, hopefully when they decide on the 210 extension to I-10 they continue south and link the two. But it looks like there might be a gap between I-10 or Valencia and Aerospace by the airport.

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/interstate-10-and-state-route-210-study



It would be smart to plan for such a thing like connecting freeways, but since there is no timeline on the 210 hitting the I-10..and they're saying Sonoran Corridor (if built) wouldn't be till 2035...I just honestly doubt anything will happen. The only good thing is the connection at El Toro Rd South. Whether you like it or not...at least they made that terminus line up with I-11 Intermountain Corridor through Avra Valley if that ever gets built that direction, (which I doubt). I still think an El Toro Rd to Houghton Rd link would have been smarter for the flow of traffic in the region. At least people could have continued northbound on the newly widened Houghton Corridor they've been working on the past decade that goes from I-10 to Tanque Verde Rd. Rita Rd just kind of ends right there. There is no way to even continue it northbound without taking out the entire Rita Ranch Subdivision. They only made Rita Rd the terminus on I-10 because the UA Tech Industrial park is there and the Target Distribution Center. So maybe their plan is to build that entire Rita Rd area with a ton of goods and supply destination companies.


Last edited by AZ71; Nov 6, 2021 at 9:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7943  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 3:26 AM
somethingfast's Avatar
somethingfast somethingfast is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In A Van Down By The River
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post

Okay so I really don't understand why they are building I-11 pretty much parallel and not that far from I-10...what's the point? Why not just widen I-10??? Can anyone give me some insight as to this rationale ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7944  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 4:00 PM
xymox xymox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Okay so I really don't understand why they are building I-11 pretty much parallel and not that far from I-10...what's the point? Why not just widen I-10??? Can anyone give me some insight as to this rationale ?
I can think of a few reasons...

This portion of I-11 was supposed to be part of the I-10 alternative route plan to allow truckers to bypass Tucson.

Also, I-11 is supposed to contain a rail element as well - so I only suppose that they wanted a new corridor where they didn't have any existing constraints to deal with.

And finally, I'd imagine that sometimes this also has to do with where they can get the land as well - additional right of way along I-10 could be difficult - especially through urban areas like Tucson. Seems a lot easier to route it through state land where there is zero existing development or people in the way.

Personally I think just widening I-10 to carry the capacity they want on I-11 would make it a nightmare of a freeway to drive. It's already pretty congested as it is. Adding more lanes isn't going to solve that problem.
__________________
mmmm skyscraper, I love you....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7945  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 4:10 PM
somethingfast's Avatar
somethingfast somethingfast is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In A Van Down By The River
Posts: 887
thanks for your thoughts - they make sense for the most part...especially the rail component...which i kinda doubt we'll see in my lifetime but who knows. i would counter your points on right of way that Tucson has lots of open space around I-10 - way more than Phoenix every did and they widened Maricopa Fwy over the years and will do it again. i still think widening and maybe adding dedicated trucks lanes or feeder lanes is way more economical that an entirely new roadway out in the middle of nowhere. but either way i'm a-okay with Tucson getting some add'l lanes as driving in Tucson is just an absolute joke for a city that is only about 15 miles wide and 20 north-south. just a cluster-eff of bad planning...so anything helps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7946  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 8:44 PM
AZ71 AZ71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Tucson
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
thanks for your thoughts - they make sense for the most part...especially the rail component...which i kinda doubt we'll see in my lifetime but who knows. i would counter your points on right of way that Tucson has lots of open space around I-10 - way more than Phoenix every did and they widened Maricopa Fwy over the years and will do it again. i still think widening and maybe adding dedicated trucks lanes or feeder lanes is way more economical that an entirely new roadway out in the middle of nowhere. but either way i'm a-okay with Tucson getting some add'l lanes as driving in Tucson is just an absolute joke for a city that is only about 15 miles wide and 20 north-south. just a cluster-eff of bad planning...so anything helps.
I know it visually seems close on maps, but I-11 through Avra Valley is really about 25 miles away from Tucson from the core of the city. But yes as it goes north to Marana it does get close. I've never heard the rail element as part of this, though. I've only read its strictly a highway project to transport goods from Nogalas to Nevada. I honestly dont see how they could expand I-10 on either side any more. Especially after all the new interchanges they just built on I-10 to go over the railroad tracks at Twin Peaks, Ina, Rutharauff and more are coming. I think the only thing they could do is build an elevated lane down the center (like the elevated carpool lanes in CA) which for some reason I think people will be outraged at that too as being too tall.

On a side note, the Phx area has approved the new "North/South Corridor" which will link Picacho Peak to Apache Junction through the growing San Tan Valley. I suspect this will be built way faster than any Tucson project (210, Sonoran Corridor, I-11, etc). Phx knows how to build things quick and has the $$ to do so. But I never understood not making the terminus on I-10 match up with the Marana connector between the I-11 & I-10. That doesn't make sense.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7947  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 9:02 PM
juan.x.ito juan.x.ito is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
I know it visually seems close on maps, but I-11 through Avra Valley is really about 25 miles away from Tucson from the core of the city. But yes as it goes north to Marana it does get close. I've never heard the rail element as part of this, though. I've only read its strictly a highway project to transport goods from Nogalas to Nevada. I honestly dont see how they could expand I-10 on either side any more. Especially after all the new interchanges they just built on I-10 to go over the railroad tracks at Twin Peaks, Ina, Rutharauff and more are coming. I think the only thing they could do is build an elevated lane down the center (like the elevated carpool lanes in CA) which for some reason I think people will be outraged at that too as being too tall.

On a side note, the Phx area has approved the new "North/South Corridor" which will link Picacho Peak to Apache Junction through the growing San Tan Valley. I suspect this will be built way faster than any Tucson project (210, Sonoran Corridor, I-11, etc). Phx knows how to build things quick and has the $$ to do so. But I never understood not making the terminus on I-10 match up with the Marana connector between the I-11 & I-10. That doesn't make sense.



my thoughts are that most people who use i-11 are heading to las vegas and not florence. or maybe they just know with all the nimbys in tucson that i11 will never get built and therefore it was moot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7948  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:49 AM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan.x.ito View Post
my thoughts are that most people who use i-11 are heading to las vegas and not florence. or maybe they just know with all the nimbys in tucson that i11 will never get built and therefore it was moot
I'm not sure what NIMBYs in Tucson have to do with a freeway located miles outside of the city. The southern part of this project in Avra Valley is an ill-advised project that will destroy a relatively untouched environment and perpetuate sprawl. I hope this part is never built.

Also, I thought the rail project was going to be associated more with the North/South Corridor and not I-11. I've never heard anything regarding that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7949  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 3:54 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,902
Yeah I agree that the I-11 south of Casa Grande is a bit redundant, but this whole corridor will continue to grow in population and shipping traffic for many decades to come.

Other alignments say down to Ajo/rocky Point aren't big enough to need a full interstate.

TBH If I was the DOT I would probably continue the I-11 east close to the border hitting the various ports of entry maybe even eventually running it down over to El Paso and trough the Rio Grande Valley all the way to Brownsville.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7950  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:33 PM
AZ71 AZ71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Tucson
Posts: 305
Kino Sports Complex South is undergoing design changes. Plans for the Arena & Multi-Family Housing are OUT. A multi-use Sportsplex will be added & UA Hockey Program will relocate to the Iceplex in '24 adding seating for games, locker rooms & coach offices.

They're claiming the Arena has to be nixed because if it wasn't built bigger than the TCC arena that it would be competing and the land for Kino South wasn't big enough or the demand strong enough for that size of stadium. So its gone. That is a huge disappointment. I'm fine with the housing being gone. Will be interesting to see the images of the Sportsplex building (Phase 2) and the stadium (Phase 3) that still shows as part of the later phases.

https://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Server...orts%20and%20Entertainment%20Complex.pdf





Last edited by AZ71; Nov 11, 2021 at 2:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7951  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 12:57 PM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 608
Update on Tucson Zoo expansion

Redesign Ready for Reid Park Zoo in Tucson

This is taken from the original article:

New plan in works for Reid Park Zoo expansion
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7952  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:11 AM
ZonaRealtor2021 ZonaRealtor2021 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 110
Did anyone get a chance to see the RN meeting yesterday?

Anything new??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7953  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:12 PM
andrewsaturn's Avatar
andrewsaturn andrewsaturn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona/ Boston, MA
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaRealtor2021 View Post
Did anyone get a chance to see the RN meeting yesterday?

Anything new??
Nothing new. They approved the GPLET for the Volvo site. Bungalow block was appraised higher than expected and they will be offering the developers up to 50% of credit for development costs. They went over their marketing budget as well. Other than that, it was a short meeting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7954  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 12:14 AM
ZonaRealtor2021 ZonaRealtor2021 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Nothing new. They approved the GPLET for the Volvo site. Bungalow block was appraised higher than expected and they will be offering the developers up to 50% of credit for development costs. They went over their marketing budget as well. Other than that, it was a short meeting.
Thanks bud I really appreciate the update!

On another topic I remember sometime during the summer there was some rumors about a major company relocating their headquarters to Tucson in the One South Church building along side the new hotel that they were converting the bottom eight floors into any update on that ??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7955  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 12:56 AM
Hjb Hjb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 1
Tucson Streetcar\lightrail Expansion map

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. With the signing of the Infrastructure bill I feel that this is as good of a time as ever to post my map. I have always been inspired by the map that u/kaneui has made and continued to update throughout the years. I love the Streetcar that Tucson has and would love to see it expanded into a network across the metropolitan area. I have slowly worked on my own map with the transit options over a few years. It is of course a forever work in progress and I would very much appreciate any feedback and constructive criticism. Hopefully with the passing of the new bill by the Biden Administration we will be able to have one or more new lines constructed.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...9432905026005%2C-110.99200139851493&z=13
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7956  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:11 AM
InTheBurbs InTheBurbs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 240
The hotel going into One South Church has been identified. It will be a Marriott Tribute, with 145 rooms and a ground floor restaurant. Work is expected to start in January, with opening planned for December 2022.

That would give Marriott at least 6 hotels near downtown. The AC, the Marriott and Aloft by the University, the Tuxon, the JW Marriott at Starr Pass, and this one.

https://tucson.com/news/local/subscriber/marriott-is-opening-a-new-hotel-in-tucsons-tallest-building/......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7957  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:54 PM
AZ71 AZ71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Tucson
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjb View Post
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. With the signing of the Infrastructure bill I feel that this is as good of a time as ever to post my map. I have always been inspired by the map that u/kaneui has made and continued to update throughout the years. I love the Streetcar that Tucson has and would love to see it expanded into a network across the metropolitan area. I have slowly worked on my own map with the transit options over a few years. It is of course a forever work in progress and I would very much appreciate any feedback and constructive criticism. Hopefully with the passing of the new bill by the Biden Administration we will be able to have one or more new lines constructed.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1...9432905026005%2C-110.99200139851493&z=13
I like it. The only addition I would make is connecting your Grant Rd Line to the Broadway via by Wilmot. And either way, I think a line should end or go by St Joes Hospital (not only for people to get to medical facilities via public transport...but its also a huge workplace destination with the hospital, medical offices and labs that surround it.

Last edited by AZ71; Nov 20, 2021 at 7:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7958  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:19 PM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 608
A couple of quick news updates:

Arizona is hoping the new Biden Infrastructure bill will move along the idea of Amtrak rail service from Tucson on Phoenix. https://realestatedaily-news.com/infrast...x-and-tucson-one-step-closer-to-reality/

Fox Restaurants is opening two restaurants in one location on North Campbell. https://realestatedaily-news.com/fox-restaurant-concepts-makes-site-acquisition-at-campbell-plaza/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7959  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 4:47 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
A couple of quick news updates:

Arizona is hoping the new Biden Infrastructure bill will move along the idea of Amtrak rail service from Tucson on Phoenix. https://realestatedaily-news.com/infrast...x-and-tucson-one-step-closer-to-reality/

Fox Restaurants is opening two restaurants in one location on North Campbell. https://realestatedaily-news.com/fox-restaurant-concepts-makes-site-acquisition-at-campbell-plaza/
Amtrak got the money it wanted, and their proposal for the plan included amtrack up to phoenix and back down to Yuma.

They've already approved funds to rebuild the Yuma Amtrak station: https://azbex.com/yuma-gets-10-6m-grant-for-transportation-project/

Rendering:





I would say its going to happen.


Edit not sure why this shows a spur, everything Ive read and seen shows a line that loops up to Phoenix and back down to Yuma as it did back before 1974 or whatever. I think they should eliminate a Maricopa line, such a waste.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7960  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 10:33 PM
AZ71 AZ71 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Tucson
Posts: 305
Its weird to me there isnt a Phx to Vegas route rail. And even stranger no Vegas to SF (or central CA hookup at Stockton or Merced). Just seem really inefficient to me.

At least the existing Maricopa stop maybe they'll be a Tucson to LA route bypassing Phx altogether saving some time since Amtrak is still going to take SO LONG to get anywhere.

But the stupidest is no service to San Diego? I would say there are more folks that would use a Phx or Tucson to San Diego route than to LA.

This is what you get for using existing 50 year+ lines instead of building a new transportation sytem with High Speed Rail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.