Your Weekend Assignment
It's one thing to love Denver; to know and love Colorado is a whole higher level and this is the time of year when you don't have to go far to enjoy the Aspens. So if you're young and restless but a relative Virgin to the Rockies then it's time to drive.
My favorite route was the Peak to Peak Byway: reference
HERE and
HERE. I preferred this route to I-70 but if you can afford more time then by all means go to Breckenridge/Summit County or even Glenwood Springs/Aspen. The Peak-to-Peak can be done in one day; making it an overnighter makes it easier and more relaxing but either which way it's worth the effort.
Here I Am
(Just Kidding)
Source
Packing a lunch is a good idea. You absolutely want to stop, hike, pee in the bushes and eat something with all the bugs along the way. Otherwise, what's the point. Or at least stop along the way at a small town restaurant to break up the drive.
And if not this weekend then go next weekend.