I am not sure why but up until recently it felt a little like the stretch of downtown in the middle of this shot was cursed (Sackville to Salter, from Granville to the water; it used to run farther south near the water too). Then in the early 2000's it got some fairly crappy development, and more recently it's getting some good buildings. If you look at old pictures from before WWII this area had quite a few nice historic buildings, including substantial office blocks, but they were almost all torn down. The large waterfront parking lot visible is the new art gallery site.
The block with the Maple, across the street from what's now a parking lot and that mural and parking garage, looked like this. I think that 4 storey building farther back was built around 1830. The Queen Hotel burned down, but I'm not sure what happened to all these buildings. Hollis has a nice collection of Georgian era buildings left but it's just a fraction of what survived to 1940-1970.
I am not sure why but up until recently it felt a little like the stretch of downtown in the middle of this shot was cursed (Sackville to Salter, from Granville to the water; it used to run farther south near the water too). Then in the early 2000's it got some fairly crappy development, and more recently it's getting some good buildings. If you look at old pictures from before WWII this area had quite a few nice historic buildings, including substantial office blocks, but they were almost all torn down. The large waterfront parking lot visible is the new art gallery site.
Yes, Calgary has a great skyline, but from street level, it's quite clear Denver is a bigger city. Also, it has neighbourhoods that Calgary doesn't quite compare with.
To the right of the Confed Line, Mechanicsville, Bayview and LeBreton, with the CBD in the background. To thge left, Hindenburg, Little Italy, Chinatown and Centretown.
One or two relatively tall towers in the CBD in Ottawa would make a huge difference... and I don't mean trinity towers either,I mean, like right in the CBD.. I'm not talking super tall.. just an extra 10-15 floors taller than the existing tallest. Ottawa looks best on foot.
Also, the foreground in that pic.. we can just go right ahead and crop that — out..