HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7361  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 8:37 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
That’s what makes LIM propulsion so great, the wheel don’t require traction.
Not for propulsion anyways. MIPS might correct me, but I'd imagine the 6% spec is related to emergency brake function. The LIM wouldn't be able to do much breaking in the event of a power failure.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
     
     
  #7362  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 9:44 PM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I seriously hope they go back to building stations more like the original expo line. So more using the same design over and over again to speed things up and keep costs down. The stations don't all have to be unique. I totally understand the foundation portions and some minor adjustments may be required but really not every station needs to be like re-inventing the wheel and all. They can spruce things up by adding art or something while keeping station design uniform...
I wonder if they can get all the functional parts up and running first and then work on the aesthetics during revenue service.
     
     
  #7363  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 10:26 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
With reference to the tunnel like effect that bents over the road cause, One thing that’s nice about a tunnel-like effect is it typically tends to slow down cars and makes it nicer for bicycles. One of my favourite parts of the millennium line to ride under is the section from Renfrew to Gilmore as much of it is under the tracks and you have protection from rain.

I know cycling isn’t that popular in Surrey especially on Fraser Highway but I would chalk that up to it being a major fast moving traffic Corridor which is very friendly for cycling.

     
     
  #7364  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 11:32 PM
madog222 madog222 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I seriously hope they go back to building stations more like the original expo line. So more using the same design over and over again to speed things up and keep costs down. The stations don't all have to be unique. I totally understand the foundation portions and some minor adjustments may be required but really not every station needs to be like re-inventing the wheel and all. They can spruce things up by adding art or something while keeping station design uniform...
It was only the Phase 1 Millennium Line with unique stations, everything since has been based on standardized designs.
     
     
  #7365  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 3:33 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It was only the Phase 1 Millennium Line with unique stations, everything since has been based on standardized designs.
Yeah the initial images I saw showed 'big glass box' stations similar to the above ground Canada and Evergreen line stations - also the renos they've done on a few Expo Line stations.
     
     
  #7366  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 3:40 AM
scryer scryer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,964
Not to completely change topics, but I am kind of curious as to what the final station names will end up being?
__________________
There is a housing crisis, and we simply need to speak up about it.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.
     
     
  #7367  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 4:10 AM
Diegotheartist1's Avatar
Diegotheartist1 Diegotheartist1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Not to completely change topics, but I am kind of curious as to what the final station names will end up being?
As far as I'm aware of, the final names are not determined yet. The names are chosen to reflect the area it serves. I assume the stations might have these names:
  • Green Timbers / Outpatient Care
  • Applewood / South Guildford / Johnston (original name of 152 St.) / West Fleetwood
  • Fleetwood Centre / Fleetwood
  • Bakerview / Coast Meridian (original name of 168 St.)
  • North Cloverdale
  • Clayton
  • Willowbrook
  • Langley Centre / Langley City

These are the possible names for the stations I could think of. There could be more names being determined from the planning process, which may or may not match my predictions.
     
     
  #7368  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 4:16 AM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It was only the Phase 1 Millennium Line with unique stations, everything since has been based on standardized designs.
I actually kind of disagree… Although station should be functional it’s nice to have a few stations which are key or marquee stations which have some architectural flair to them.

On the millennium line do you have stations like a Renfrew and Rupert which is similar to each other. You could have a couple of themes. Brentwood station is still beautiful and given it’s so prominently placed nice to have.
     
     
  #7369  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 4:57 AM
Vancouver_Highrise's Avatar
Vancouver_Highrise Vancouver_Highrise is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 323
I honestly think the will keep the names pretty simple.

ie. 152nd St Station, Fleetwood Station, Clayton Station. etc
     
     
  #7370  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 5:16 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,180
166th will definitely need a paired-up name. Nobody outside of Fleetwood knows where the hell it is.
     
     
  #7371  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 5:46 AM
Diegotheartist1's Avatar
Diegotheartist1 Diegotheartist1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 163
I also wonder, what if Langley Centre uses a single-track platform like Richmond-Brighouse and YVR-Airport? or maybe Langley Centre can use the Spanish Solution for a single track?
     
     
  #7372  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 5:54 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,180
Don't know about that, what happens if we need a Murrayville extension?
     
     
  #7373  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 6:07 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Nah think of the LIM like some electromagnetic rack and pinion. The wheels are just there to guide it.
Yup - a MagLev on wheels.
     
     
  #7374  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 6:10 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
With reference to the tunnel like effect that bents over the road cause, One thing that’s nice about a tunnel-like effect is ...
I figure it'll be like Expo Blvd under the BC Place concourse (but with trees on either side).
     
     
  #7375  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 6:14 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegotheartist1 View Post
I also wonder, what if Langley Centre uses a single-track platform like Richmond-Brighouse and YVR-Airport? or maybe Langley Centre can use the Spanish Solution for a single track?
Doubt they'd do that again.
Also I think one of the renders was of the terminus station, wasn't it?
     
     
  #7376  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 7:25 AM
Galaxy's Avatar
Galaxy Galaxy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 475
They better not(single track end it) since I expect future extensions to happen including one over the Golden Ears Bridge as it was built so that a train service like Skytrain could potentially go over it in the future.
     
     
  #7377  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 7:30 AM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Not for propulsion anyways. MIPS might correct me, but I'd imagine the 6% spec is related to emergency brake function. The LIM wouldn't be able to do much breaking in the event of a power failure.
They got an emergency brake but beyond that I got no numbers.
     
     
  #7378  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 9:46 AM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
166th will definitely need a paired-up name. Nobody outside of Fleetwood knows where the hell it is.
Maybe something like "street-landmark" or just "landmark".
     
     
  #7379  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 10:53 AM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegotheartist1 View Post
I also wonder, what if Langley Centre uses a single-track platform like Richmond-Brighouse and YVR-Airport? or maybe Langley Centre can use the Spanish Solution for a single track?
If it's single-track, I'd imagine they in the future just truncate trains and reroute busses to Willowbrook while they rebuild the track with a crossover switch and then they could reopen it for single-tracked service while they work on the other side. Would cost a pretty penny, I'm not doubting that. Hopefully by the time that happens, Abbotsford and Mission will be in Translink jurisdiction. Wouldn't hold my breath though, because we might be dead before shovels hit the pavement.
     
     
  #7380  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 2:47 PM
scryer scryer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,964
Yeah, I'm not sure I recall seeing single tracking to Langley being in the cards.

It would be incredibly short sighted and I would like to think that the region has learned its lesson from single tracking in Richmond . Richmond ain't getting no extension anytime soon until they sort that mess out .

Double tracking the Skytrain all the way through will make future extensions easier. And yes, I do feel that we need to do the region a favour by future-proofing the Expo line further east just in case it warrants it. For example, I could legitimately see us extending the Expo line to the area around the Langley Memorial hospital. But that would depend on how eager Langley is to densify to justify that extension as well as many other factors (and it is a very far flung future demand).
__________________
There is a housing crisis, and we simply need to speak up about it.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Jul 18, 2021 at 6:09 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.