Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604
Purely speculative but I also think that's what one can expect, except for the 2nd station at UBC and maybe Sasamat/Blanca.
Stations are super expensive and I wouldn't be surprised if three were proposed by the entities that actually have to pay for them. As opposed to those that just think "a station would be nice here." Macdonald, Alma, UBC. That's right, you heard it here first, three. Just look at Canada line.. a long long stretch between 49th Ave and Marine Drive Stations. King Ed to 41 is pretty long too. I know there are possible future stations between those but being super expensive and an easy way to cut from final plan to reduce ballooning costs, some just don't make it into the first build.
UBC station: Basically the same as someone running from Arbutus to UBC, huffing and puffing. The runner finally gets to Wesbrook Mall & University Blvd and they are way out of breath and sit down saying, "So so far... I'm finally here.. No more. No way I'm going further down to 16th now." Except it is the provincial/federal budget for this extension, huffing and puffing as well. And totally out of steam the very moment it reaches UBC. Unless UBC somehow wants to cough up the $$$ to pay for 16th themselves.
Make your prediction here of what number of stations actually make it into stage-1 of this thing, if it ever gets built. Super way down the road prize: bragging rights amongst the nerds of SSP.
|
Totally agree with this. They are already dragging their feet, kicking and screaming against their will to get this built. The problem is it's kind of pointless to just take this extension out to Arbutus, the plan and purpose for this construction was to go to UBC to begin with. I'm thinking they will get this done with the absolute minimally acceptable stations possible, and you've probably pointed out the correct three, in order of importance:
1. UBC - it's the UBC extension, not the Sasamat extension... or the Arbutus extension for that matter. We all know it's a half-way incomplete build at this point.
2. Macdonald - I can't see them skipping this, it's already a busy corridor here with important bus connections & walking distance to Kits beach.
3. Alma - I'm trying to wrap my head around whether they would ever consider skipping this and making it a 2 station extension, but that would just be insane to justify the cost of the tunneling and construction. IF a 2 station extension was ever proposed in fantasyland, it would be UBC & Alma rather than UBC and Macdonald, that gulf is just far too wide to leave empty.
4. W 16th. I mean they are really densifying that part of UBC and it isn't really walkable of a community to central campus UBC, so this would make sense but would require additional tunneling beyond the minimum required to complete the line to UBC - I'm not convinced with the limited budget and expense it will ultimately be done here.
5. Sasamat - it'll make sense to give this an option for a future station like they had with the Canada line at several stops, but it's just not really a rapid transit priority neighborhood I feel. Very sleepy in spite of the shops and most people have cars here. I don't think it'll be part of the initial construction but a down the line pipe dream like 33rd and 57th are.