HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10661  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 8:30 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
The closures are everywhere too.

Maryland and Ellice
MacGregor and Selkirk
Salter and Aberdeen and Sargent and Isabel a few years ago
William and Isabel

I wonder of the one at Arlington and Ellice is still open. They're always getting robbed.
I don't ever remember there being one at MacGregor and Selkirk... are you thinking of another street?

IIRC the Salter and Aberdeen location which closed some 20-odd years ago was the first inner city location to shut down due to crime.

I've noticed that the remaining central locations have fairly little inventory on hand. Those stores do not look like the suburban ones.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10662  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 8:36 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't ever remember there being one at MacGregor and Selkirk... are you thinking of another street?

IIRC the Salter and Aberdeen location which closed some 20-odd years ago was the first inner city location to shut down due to crime.

I've noticed that the remaining central locations have fairly little inventory on hand. Those stores do not look like the suburban ones.
Yeah I don't think there was ever a 7/11 there. There was a Mac's at Selkirk and Arlington which is now an off brand convenience store.
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10663  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 8:46 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Also looking at the 7/11 web page for Winnipeg I was surprised to see that about half of their locations have reduced their hours over the last little while to 5am to midnight.
I have heard it elsewhere that CERB is making it challenging to staff some lower paying jobs. Nothing specific to 7-11 there but I had heard in the past the overnight shift was more challenging to staff. It wouldn't be surprising to see it related.

As for the 7-11/gas station news, that does sound like something I might have posted in the past. Doing a quick search turns up news from 2016 like this:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/7-...of-imperial-oil-locations-571444681.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10664  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 8:51 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yeah I don't think there was ever a 7/11 there. There was a Mac's at Selkirk and Arlington which is now an off brand convenience store.
The weirdly named "Ur's Convenience Store"

I used to go there for slurpees when I was a teenager and it was a Mac's. I haven't been in there to see what it's like now, though.

Speaking of former Mac's stores, what's the one on Central Park called now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10665  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:00 PM
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 1,798
^Yep. Wrong location, wrong store. I should have googled it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10666  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 4:12 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Interesting news about the Kenaston power centre... one of the units is going to have a pool installed and it will become the Aqua Essence Swim Academy.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2021/06/24/aqua-essence-swim-academy-winnipeg/

I always thought you needed a purpose built structure to handle the humidity levels of a pool, but apparently not?

It's hot on the heels of the H20 Academy which recently completed its facility nearby just off McGillivray.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10667  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:30 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I always thought you needed a purpose built structure to handle the humidity levels of a pool, but apparently not?
No. Easy, but not cheap, to upgrade the ventilation for that space. High capacity HRV. May need to do a special paint on the walls too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10668  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:35 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
I'm honestly shocked they're filling these spaces and not just starting over and redeveloping into residential mixed use of some sort. That part of the area is horrendous. Do something like the Polo Park plans or even what's happening near Outlet Collection... such a waste of space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10669  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 11:11 PM
morty morty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting news about the Kenaston power centre... one of the units is going to have a pool installed and it will become the Aqua Essence Swim Academy.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2021/06/24/aqua-essence-swim-academy-winnipeg/

I always thought you needed a purpose built structure to handle the humidity levels of a pool, but apparently not?

It's hot on the heels of the H20 Academy which recently completed its facility nearby just off McGillivray.
It's definitely smart on their part to be leasing the space rather than owning it, but as long as it's well maintained and properly renovated to support a pool they should be ok. It looks like it'll be a very small teaching pool which should help to control humidity. The AHUs in probably over 50% of the City's pools don't even work properly; it really all comes down to proper maintenance and upkeep.

It'll be interesting to see how these private pool situations work out. These types of providers currently make ridiculous amounts of money as the lessons aren't cheap and they use the City's pool space at (heavily subsidized) normal admission rates. Making the numbers work once the City is no longer indirectly covering a huge portion of your operating costs will be a bit more difficult. Great quality swim lessons though, so I hope it works out for them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10670  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 10:11 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
The City is reviewing the opaque window bylaw for cannabis shops

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/...t-opaque-business-windows-574713282.html

I like this, the frosted windows that these shops are required to have make the units look vacant. You really notice it in pedestrian areas like Osborne Village.

I also wish something could be done about The Joint, whose stores are probably among the ugliest ones in Winnipeg. It is as though they are made deliberately hideous...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10671  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 7:58 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
I totally think we should get rid of the opaque window rule – however it sounds like both those councillors don't actually want that. One wants to force the opaqueness to be "art" and the other wants to make some ridiculous rules about where stores can be.

The rule is so dumb – liquor, wine and beer stores can have clear windows, and in those stores they can actually display the product! You can't actually have weed out in the shops here, so what exactly is the window rule trying to hide? Makes no sense. Also, those stores can even advertise on the outside of the building, where cannabis can't. Whether a minor can see into a window of what is clearly a cannabis store is going to have zero effect on them doing... whatever people seem to be afraid of.

This is probably a good one to write your councillor about.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10672  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 8:05 PM
Highwayman Highwayman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The City is reviewing the opaque window bylaw for cannabis shops

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/...t-opaque-business-windows-574713282.html

I like this, the frosted windows that these shops are required to have make the units look vacant. You really notice it in pedestrian areas like Osborne Village.

I also wish something could be done about The Joint, whose stores are probably among the ugliest ones in Winnipeg. It is as though they are made deliberately hideous...
The one on St Mary's just makes me cringe. It was bad enough they took a beautiful red brick historical building and painted it grey. But then the big ugly as sin signage.

I don't know who owns that chain. But I'd think you'd want to make your business not stand out like a word thumb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10673  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:06 AM
AccordTR AccordTR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting news about the Kenaston power centre... one of the units is going to have a pool installed and it will become the Aqua Essence Swim Academy.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2021/06/24/aqua-essence-swim-academy-winnipeg/

I always thought you needed a purpose built structure to handle the humidity levels of a pool, but apparently not?

It's hot on the heels of the H20 Academy which recently completed its facility nearby just off McGillivray.
This is a growing trend. The old Best Buy in Fargo became a swim school.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10674  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:03 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
This is a growing trend. The old Best Buy in Fargo became a swim school.
Interesting. I guess a business opportunity has arisen in places where municipal governments have done such a weak job of maintaining pools and adding new ones. Which may well be the case in Winnipeg... have there been any new public pools built since the 1980s?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10675  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 1:53 AM
AccordTR AccordTR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting. I guess a business opportunity has arisen in places where municipal governments have done such a weak job of maintaining pools and adding new ones. Which may well be the case in Winnipeg... have there been any new public pools built since the 1980s?
I think you nailed it. There is more and more private ice rinks now too so pools/swimming seems inevitable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10676  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:53 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
The ChrisD news feed is saying that is going to be a stainless steel tank and the installers will be coming from Czech Republic later this year. This will only be the 3rd pool of this style in Canada
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10677  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:37 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
The City has plans for a rec campus in waverley west, which I believe includes a pool. They've been trying to get a new YMCA built in Transcona as well.

I think the City overall has taken a stance on not expanding services, but trying to maintain what exists.

I keep going back to it, but holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵 that Police budget is huge, while everything else suffers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10678  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:48 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
The ChrisD news feed is saying that is going to be a stainless steel tank and the installers will be coming from Czech Republic later this year. This will only be the 3rd pool of this style in Canada
^ hopefully it's a salt water pool...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10679  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 6:37 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
New Bianca Amour liquidation center is opening soon in the Eastgate Shopping center at Panet and Narin.

With Princess Auto and Peavy Mart also in the same 1/2 km strip on Panet there will be all sorts of tools and other stuff available at low prices.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10680  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:41 PM
horrorbro123 horrorbro123 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 476
Well Bailey Nelson Is Coming To Polo Park
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.