HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10641  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:07 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am pretty sure they fastened those plywood boards to the building by screwing into the brass window frames.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any other way those boards could be fastened in there.

And if that is the case - well, it's really 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 and disrespectful. Not really much else to say.
It actually kind of looks like they created some sort of frame on the inside of the windows and fastened it to that. There's definitely some sort of framing around the edges, not just plywood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10642  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:35 AM
pegcity's Avatar
pegcity pegcity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Winnipeg.
Posts: 461
Decathlon Canada currently has a job posting for a Winnipeg store director.
__________________
bright.future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10643  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:36 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is weird. The City has standards for seemingly everything but you want to board up one of the most prominent buildings in town on one of the most prominent streets in town? Sure, have at 'er!

Boarding up the store seemed like a pointed gesture by HBC to turn up the heat on the City and Province to do something about this and reach a deal.

When Eaton's closed I don't remember any windows being boarded up except for one window that was removed and placed on the second level of Bell MTS Place. But these guys had to board up the entire main level as soon as the store closed?!
Think you nailed it. The boarding is definitely a statement, a rather obscene one!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10644  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:19 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,429
I am curious why rock-glass is not used more to prevent glass breakage?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10645  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:36 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am curious why rock-glass is not used more to prevent glass breakage?
Also pull-down shutters... they are becoming a bit more common but still pretty rare here.

I always thought it was a bit odd that posh European streets often have pull down shutters protecting storefronts while here you seldom see much more than plate glass... maybe with bars in the windows in sketchier areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10646  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 11:37 PM
cslusarc cslusarc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 294
Roll down shutters were only approved for installation in the Twin Cities earlier this year in reaction to last year's #BLM riots.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10647  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 6:10 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Protests*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10648  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 10:55 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
I don't know if there is a restriction on steel roll down shutters in Winnipeg as one beauty shop on the 600 block of Munroe Ave has had them since 2012 and looking at Google Maps I see a number of the businesses on North Main also have them.

For sure you don't see them on any of the big retailers protecting their plate glass windows.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10649  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:03 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am curious why rock-glass is not used more to prevent glass breakage?
Its a relatively new product and I think a little more expensive than standard tempered glass.

Insurance will replace with the lowest cost product so it won't go in as a claim replacement even though it would probably cost less on a window that gets broken more than once.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10650  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 12:04 AM
horrorbro123 horrorbro123 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 476
Something Going On Former Aido Accessories Next To Aido Also Miniso is Coming To Polo Park

Last edited by horrorbro123; Jun 21, 2021 at 2:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10651  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 1:31 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
^ dead link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10652  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:54 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
I was out today shopping and on my way home I noticed that the 7/11 on Nairn (west of Panet Rd) has closed up. From what I could see on internet chatter Imperial Oil did not want to renew the lease on the land so that leads me to wonder if they are going to sell it off as it is a fair size lot.

Also looking at the 7/11 web page for Winnipeg I was surprised to see that about half of their locations have reduced their hours over the last little while to 5am to midnight.

I am old enough to remember when it was a big deal in East Kildonan when the one on Watt St. opened up 24 hours, and now its a limited hours store. Only open 3 hours more than when it first opened up. I have not been in that store in probably 45 years so I don't even know what 7-11 sells anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10653  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:55 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
^ slurpees and big gulps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10654  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:40 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Also looking at the 7/11 web page for Winnipeg I was surprised to see that about half of their locations have reduced their hours over the last little while to 5am to midnight.

I am old enough to remember when it was a big deal in East Kildonan when the one on Watt St. opened up 24 hours, and now its a limited hours store. Only open 3 hours more than when it first opened up. I have not been in that store in probably 45 years so I don't even know what 7-11 sells anymore.
Kind of a sad statement but I suppose it just isn't worth the hassle to be open to customers overnight. Just staffing it must be an issue... who the hell would want to work the graveyard shift at a 7-Eleven store? My cousin worked at a Sev on North Main late nights around 30 years ago and it was pretty wild then... I can't imagine what it must be like now.

That said, I did notice that another new one must have opened up within the last year at Inkster and Sheppard. It's not often you see brand new locations open up here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10655  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:54 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Kind of a sad statement but I suppose it just isn't worth the hassle to be open to customers overnight. Just staffing it must be an issue... who the hell would want to work the graveyard shift at a 7-Eleven store? My cousin worked at a Sev on North Main late nights around 30 years ago and it was pretty wild then... I can't imagine what it must be like now.

That said, I did notice that another new one must have opened up within the last year at Inkster and Sheppard. It's not often you see brand new locations open up here.
Even just off the top of my head, in areas that I actually drive by, in the last 5 years new 7-Elevens opened on Pembina near Byng and Portage at Wall. I'm sure there's more even, as sev is the dominant chain in Winnipeg.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10656  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:15 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
And of those 2 the Pembina and Byng is 24 hours and the Portage and Wall is a restricted hour store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10657  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:21 PM
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 1,798
The closures are everywhere too.

Maryland and Ellice
MacGregor and Selkirk
Salter and Aberdeen and Sargent and Isabel a few years ago
William and Isabel

I wonder of the one at Arlington and Ellice is still open. They're always getting robbed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10658  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:27 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
The closures are everywhere too.

Maryland and Ellice
MacGregor and Selkirk
Salter and Aberdeen and Sargent and Isabel a few years ago
William and Isabel

I wonder of the one at Arlington and Ellice is still open. They're always getting robbed.
Still open.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10659  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:33 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
I remember someone saying here a while back (probably CoryB) that they're moving to try and have gas stations at as many locations as possible? I think there was something to do with the Esso deal, and some Esso C-stores will become sevs. Possible those closures are near other upcoming conversions, or the non-gas sales weren't high enough to keep open in light of new strategy?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10660  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 8:14 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Last Henry Armstrongs closing in a couple of days. Nice write up as usual by Christian of West End Dumplings on the history of the chain in the city.

http://westenddumplings.blogspot.com/2021/06/farewell-to-henry-armstrongs-instant.html
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.