HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5381  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 4:51 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I don't mind this attitude. Some buildings aren't stunners but they just add units and density in an inoffensive way.
I bet he didn’t mean to say that. If I get interviewed I always know the second I say it, what goofball sentence they are going to pluck out of my mouth and use. He probably read that and said, 🞵🞵🞵🞵. That’s not what I meant. Followed by an apologetic phone call to the architect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5382  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:07 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,370
Apologetic phone calls. Jeez, these architects sure are sensitive beings. haha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5383  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:07 AM
post_man post_man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I bet he didn’t mean to say that. If I get interviewed I always know the second I say it, what goofball sentence they are going to pluck out of my mouth and use. He probably read that and said, 🞵🞵🞵🞵. That’s not what I meant. Followed by an apologetic phone call to the architect.
Quote:
Winnipeg architect Verne Reimer
Quote:
Reimer said the building isn’t too flashy, and it’s designed to play along with, not against, the dominant building types in that part of the Exchange, with an exterior white-grey-black gradient accented by splashes of red. "I’m a big fan of background buildings," he said. "You’re not trying to do too much, be too ostentatious. You want a well-designed building to add to the fabric of the city."
It didn't seem to be a controversial statement either. I hope they meant to say it. Rather this honesty than a Barcode-esque essay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5384  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:21 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Ah. I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it was Verne that said it. That’s good. So now he has to apologize to his client for saying he designed a background building. Ha ha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5385  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:49 AM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,370
Hey Vike, what's the height limit on wood structures in Winnipeg now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5386  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:44 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
^ 6 floors
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5387  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:53 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,935
The memory care and supportive housing complex being built on Molson is using some form of laminate wood beam construction and is 6 storeys. I haven't seen this type of construction before in Winnipeg. Just like steel girder construction but with wood. I forget it's technical term.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5388  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:15 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The memory care and supportive housing complex being built on Molson is using some form of laminate wood beam construction and is 6 storeys. I haven't seen this type of construction before in Winnipeg. Just like steel girder construction but with wood. I forget it's technical term.
Mass Timber, includes cross laminated timber (CLT) and other products that are basically beams and columns fabricated similar to glu-lam or plywood.

Very strong, comparatively light weight and $$
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5389  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:53 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Mass Timber, includes cross laminated timber (CLT) and other products that are basically beams and columns fabricated similar to glu-lam or plywood.

Very strong, comparatively light weight and $$
Not to mention surprisingly fire resistant
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5390  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:33 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The memory care and supportive housing complex being built on Molson is using some form of laminate wood beam construction and is 6 storeys. I haven't seen this type of construction before in Winnipeg. Just like steel girder construction but with wood. I forget it's technical term.
Where's that exactly? Next to the Shoppers?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5391  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:18 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,935
No, down by Chief Peguis. It is on the site where Schriemers Garden Centre used to be.
Molson St and Red Oak Dr if you are looking on Google Earth.




Wow that is a big image
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5392  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:28 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,370
Oh right. Thanks. Next to Bloom and Timber.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5393  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:16 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Looks like geotechnical investigations happening for a 110’ tower on Bannatyne.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5394  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:20 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Hey Vike, what's the height limit on wood structures in Winnipeg now?
Yeah. 6 floors or 25 meters.

I had heard there was a CLT project happening somewhere. Seems odd to waste it on a six storey but good to break the damn. Hopefully it makes contractors less afraid of it and the cost becomes more reasonable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5395  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:28 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Looks like geotechnical investigations happening for a 110’ tower on Bannatyne.

I guess they re-worked the design. I spoke with the architect when it was in zoning and he had said they would make it work either way...glad they did. (127 Bannatyne)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5396  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:07 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Great to hear that it's moving along. Still wish it could have been built as originally conceived, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5397  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:02 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Hey Vike, what's the height limit on wood structures in Winnipeg now?
I would never live in anything but a concrete structure in a hi-rise.
I hope to never have to reside in a wood built hi-rise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5398  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:53 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Great to hear that it's moving along. Still wish it could have been built as originally conceived, though.
Best of both worlds. Fill a parking lot, retain street quality. That's what zoning is for. It protects the neighbourhood and gives decisions a broader priority than bottom line. Every property a developer buys comes with zoning requirements. They can try to change them, but it should never be assumed they can....especially to such a degree.

I didn't really buy that only a 150' tower made the site viable. They have 200,000 square feet to work with in ten stories. If a project isn't viable at that size, no project is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5399  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 10:44 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is offline
Source?
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I guess they re-worked the design. I spoke with the architect when it was in zoning and he had said they would make it work either way...glad they did. (127 Bannatyne)
I am genuinely a bit confused... With the recent reports (on this forum) that any new building is an AirB&B nightmare and the Exchange has turned into a homeless toilet with near-guaranteed break-ins and stabbings, why would anyone willingly build a building there and why would anyone live there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5400  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:11 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I am genuinely a bit confused... With the recent reports (on this forum) that any new building is an AirB&B nightmare and the Exchange has turned into a homeless toilet with near-guaranteed break-ins and stabbings, why would anyone willingly build a building there and why would anyone live there?
No one said that, they said that some buildings are like that and the specific one discussed was Glasshouse, which is not in the Exchange. Many condos in the Exchange have banned Airbnb, and most of the new builds the last couple years (and u/c) are apartments.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:01 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.