HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12121  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:05 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Would you consider getting this and living upstairs? Sounds like something you'd like

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22952565/106-water-street-st-johns
     
     
  #12122  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:05 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Lots of people moving here to the far West as well. From Ontario, Vancouver, Calgary, Kelowna, and most recently PEI via Nelson. And that's just people i've met here.
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #12123  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:07 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Within your budget:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22920555/31-temperance-street-st-johns

I recall the back of that building, we discussed it here lately!
     
     
  #12124  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:10 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Would you consider getting this and living upstairs? Sounds like something you'd like

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22952565/106-water-street-st-johns
My initial, gut reaction is no but I realize that's mainly due to my aversion to the style/colour of the furnishings and cabinets.

I definitely would do living on Water Street - but it's a bit far for groceries, unfortunately. I'd much rather be in this general area:



The pegged Dominion is, to my knowledge, the largest grocery in the city. None of the ones downtown are any good for basic white guys like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Within your budget:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22920555/31-temperance-street-st-johns

I recall the back of that building, we discussed it here lately!
It would be lovely - great location, and not too far from Belbin's Grocery, which can do in a pinch. But I'd have absolutely no money to make it liveable, and the interiors of those are near condemnation.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #12125  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:27 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think Ontarians are going to "discover" Atlantic Canada more in the coming years. Remote work is a part of that but also the region had a reputation that was seriously out of whack with reality. Ontarians tend to think the Atlantic region is farther away than it is, more hinterland-y and less developed/urban/historic than it is, and has much worse weather than it does.

It is smaller and cannot really make a significant dent in affordability in Canada but it's still good to have another "mainstream" option for people to move to. Having good demographics and a good economy in Atlantic Canada is also good for Canadian pluralism.
It's another example where infrastructure would make a huge difference. I wonder how our mental geography of the Maritimes would change if we had proper rail service between Quebec City and Halifax (via Fredricton and Moncton). It's 1022 km (per Google). A dedicated passenger corridor with service every 2 hrs that could get you from Halifax to Quebec City in 8 hrs, completely change how we look at the Maritimes. Especially if there was HFR or better that let you get from Quebec City to Toronto 5-7 hrs.

Right now we tend to think of the Maritimes as far because it's an expensive flight or a day's drive just to get to Eastern Ontario.
     
     
  #12126  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:28 PM
rofina rofina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,149
Tesla screen works well.

But this notion of multiple touch screens throughout a car for different functions is an absolutely egregious idea.

Cars from 2019-until this trend runs out are going to age very, very poorly.
     
     
  #12127  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:42 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Lots of people moving here to the far West as well. From Ontario, Vancouver, Calgary, Kelowna, and most recently PEI via Nelson. And that's just people i've met here.
...and just saw an Ontario vehicle turn left while a van from Quebec waited at the light lol! The Quebec van had a couple of stand up paddle boards on the roof so are out here for some outdoor recreation.
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #12128  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:43 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
...and just saw an Ontario vehicle turn left while a van from Quebec waited at the light lol! The Quebec van had a couple of stand up paddle boards on the roof so are out here for some outdoor recreation.
Keep tabs on the Quebec cars. I've noticed here some of them seem to keep their Quebec plates on for YEARS lol
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #12129  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:47 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Keep tabs on the Quebec cars. I've noticed here some of them seem to keep their Quebec plates on for YEARS lol
Lol i'm guessing they're tourists but will do.
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #12130  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:48 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's another example where infrastructure would make a huge difference. I wonder how our mental geography of the Maritimes would change if we had proper rail service between Quebec City and Halifax (via Fredricton and Moncton). It's 1022 km (per Google). A dedicated passenger corridor with service every 2 hrs that could get you from Halifax to Quebec City in 8 hrs, completely change how we look at the Maritimes. Especially if there was HFR or better that let you get from Quebec City to Toronto 5-7 hrs.
I think this could be useful maybe but it's not as important as having say a 2 hour flight from Toronto to Halifax (island airport or Pearson) and even smaller details like Halifax having Uber now and Toronto having good transit + Uber and other similar services. That's the main transportation link for people.

Saint John NB to Montreal is under 600 km and clearly there should be a direct route along that path via Sherbrooke. People will say it can't be done due to politics but that's more of a "won't be done".
     
     
  #12131  
Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:50 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It would be lovely - great location, and not too far from Belbin's Grocery, which can do in a pinch. But I'd have absolutely no money to make it liveable, and the interiors of those are near condemnation.
You shouldn't let that stop you. Also, you can offer a bit less... you'll have some left to spend on it. Alternatively, maybe we can buy it jointly?
     
     
  #12132  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:11 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
Not sure I'm your type. But, I mean, willing to try.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #12133  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:08 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Not sure I'm your type. But, I mean, willing to try.
I'm having a bit of an early midlife crisis, and I have no non-feline heirs, so I've started to be randomly generous to people I find worthy. (You wouldn't believe how much I spent on my new gf in the last month lol)

In all seriousness, I actually think I'd be fine being a co-buyer/co-borrower for someone like you, whom I've "known" for ~15 years and counting. But you probably don't even need me on board--just offer less, and then do what you need to do to make it livable in steps as your budget allows. You could also borrow for improvements.

Listen, we both know you "Want a part of Newfoundland history? One of The Four Sisters could be yours".
     
     
  #12134  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:22 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
I know. My God, jeddy1989 is a caricature of that mindset. His family (Anglican) had ONE stray and marry a Catholic, and they talk about it like they united the churches of England and Rome. And he was the first of us to get vaccinated (through his essential work), and for weeks while the rest of us were still waiting, you couldn't even look at him sideways or he'd say, "Oww... my vaccination arm..."

But anyhow, my point is the history bit is the draw for me.

"My house is built from the same stone as Cabot Tower."
"Sir, this is a Wendy's..."
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #12135  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:37 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
That building was built right after the Great Fire so it's probably as old as one can hope to find in/near downtown, right? (Most of my Sherbrooke buildings are older than that, and that's a newer city; I'd tend to expect St. John's to have older urban fabric. It's both a surprise and a disappointment that it's that new, for a city that's several centuries old.)

Stone, check; as old as possible, check. Location, check. What else is on your list?

At least give that realtor a call...
     
     
  #12136  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:42 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
There are a few older - Brine Street is the oldest I think. But yeah, that's among the oldest for sure.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #12137  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:46 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
One thing I'll grant St. John's (and Newfoundland), is that it has pre-Canada buildings. That's pretty exotic (even though they aren't that old.)
     
     
  #12138  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:51 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
We have pre-Canada people. My grandmother was married with children when we joined.

(Mostly a joke for Proof's benefit)
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #12139  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:51 AM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
SHH, would you consider 24 Victoria St? https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23011916/24-victoria-street-st-johns $208000 tops
- nice fireplace, hardwood floors, bathroom and kitchen ok. I'd rent out a few rooms to pay the bills. Looks like a good location.

Looking around for bargains, is Bell Island nice? I like this $99k home: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22951245/1-moores-road-bell-island

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 12, 2021 at 4:20 AM.
     
     
  #12140  
Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:48 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
That first one is a fantastic location. And there’s nothing wrong with the house; I’d be glad to have it - BUT - I’m a little scared what it will cost to maintain those upper windows, I’m a bit afraid of having a working chimney system to manage, and - the biggest turnoff for me - it’s on the same side of the street as the poles. I’ve rented rowhouses like that in the past and for some reason it really bothers me. I just find it so ugly. So I wouldn’t jump at this one but only because it’s not perfect for my preferences. I’ve got a fantastic opportunity now to hold out for something that really doesn’t need much compromise.

Bell Island is very close but annoying. You have to take a ferry that is notorious for delays and it doesn’t run overnight so every evening downtown would have to be crashing at someone’s place. Too old for that.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.