Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico
A whole bunch of sobs about eliminating some bus stops and almost no comments about why that is a good idea. Obviously written by someone who has never felt the urge to just get out of the bus and walk because it was so slow with stops on both sides of the light...not sure but I suspect Vancouver must be in the running for most bus stops per km. And then the same people complain the bus is slow, go figure.
|
Hmmm. In this case, I feel that the article writer could have definitely done a better job getting a voice from someone (even from TransLink) with a thought on why this
is a good idea. I mean, I personally think that 1. consolidating stops is a generally good idea, and 2. that Vancouver's local routes have a lot of bus stops in stupid places (especially where they are on both sides of the intersection).
However, it's also clear to me the backlash is of TransLink's creation. As it stands, stops will be pulled less than a month from now "on a trial basis" (euphemism words for "basically forever unless you get angry enough and we change our minds") and it's unclear how/if any comments asking for stops to retained will be taken seriously. The end result is they've completely upset the very people who were already bound to become very, very upset.
For full disclosure, my own interest in this matter is because of my own efforts right now to try and prevent the removal of a couple stops on the 17; specifically, one of the two slated on Marine Drive (which also serves #100, and is catching all of us 100 riders by surprise) and the one at W 14 Ave (side note I actually make regular use of that stop to access the adjacent Mobi station. That's right! Me!). These two are kind of dumb, for reasons I attempted to explain at great length via email to the guys running the bus stop balancing thing.
But, the rest are actually quite fine. There's the removal of some pesky near-side stops (i.e. where the stops are on both sides of the street), which we probably all want. But, the other targeted stop removals... I'm not really sure will have any effect of speeding up the 17. The TSPR tells me that the 17 suffers from speed/delay issues, but this is likely an attribute of its route on the city's most congested roads: 1. in downtown, 2. Broadway/12th, and 3. Oak Street, which feeds into the 99 Freeway. The peak hour congestion on Oak Street these days is just insane.
I'm basically treating this like any other public consultation and that TL staff will take the comments from me very seriously, but I can imagine that other people don't have the kind of confidence in dealing with TL that I have.
So I guess all I can say about this is... let the people have their say.