Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
Can you see them from anywhere on the ground in Montreal? Or do you have to be up in a highrise?
In Taiwan I lived about 20 km from the mountain range that runs up the central spine of the island, and it was never visible save for on very rare days after heavy rains that washed the smog and humidity out of the air. You'd get this amazing view once every two years or so, and it was always startling (and somewhat terrifying).
|
You can see them from anywhere south-facing on Mount Royal, namely the Kondianronk belvedere and the streets of upper Westmount. Not so much if you get down closer to sea level.
I went to Taichung for the first time at the end of 2019 and it was remarkable how much smoggier it was than in the north. I've been to Taipei many times and it's not unusual to have days with very good visibility (at least when it isn't raining, which it almost always is), but as soon as you head down the coast the air gets so much hazier. It was also nearly 10 degrees hotter than Taipei which might have something to do with it.
In Hong Kong, the visibility is usually best in the summer, but even then there's enough humidity that it blurs things out. I remember going to Tai O on a particularly hot, clear day in June and being shocked that I could see the Macau and Zhuhai skylines with perfect definition. Of course they were only 35km away!