Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
Certainly didn't help that a staffer from that government went to work for Tesla after....
|
Not sure how that is relevant, but it is interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
Hardly. You seem to be making a lot of excuses for what is obvious incompetence.
|
Not trying to make excuses, just trying to be realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
You have family who work for the Ontario Liberals or something?
|
No I don't have any friends or family who work (or have worked) for any political party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
It's not like they didn't know that transport electrification was a trend at that point. Their own EV subsidies launched that year. So they were finalizing the subsidy program at the same time as they were negotiating the contract to privatize the service centres and somehow didn't think to mandate that the new owners be open to whatever new fuel would come along in the future.
|
I still don't remain convinced that it was as obvious that the trend was towards electrification back then as it is today. The reality is, who cares. The decision was made by a former (arguably corrupt) government that is no longer in power. There is no point worrying about what they should have done back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
It's pretty obvious to me that they simply didn't think of anything but prettying up the OnRoutes. And that is actually incompetence. Not revisionism. Let's say it was not BEVs but Hydrogen that took off. We'd be in the same positions where CT has a monopoly on selling ALL fuel but refuses to adopt and deploy new technologies.
|
I guess I am more jaded and my expectations from governments is lower than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
But that's the issue for CT and HKSC (or Arjun Capital) today. As a taxpayer, I don't give a damn about that. I want better service for their exclusivity on an asset owned by taxpayers.
|
And I want more reasonable tolls on the 407, but a contract is a contract. At least this one is only for 50 years. You can moan and complain all you want about bad decisions former governments made all you like, but it won't change anything today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
You're right. Good job making the usual arguments for why we shouldn't invest much in electric infrastructure.
|
There is a big difference between public and private investments. I fully support and expect government investment in infrastructure that is for the public good, but I don't expect private companies to make a similar investment unless they can see some benefit in return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
Let's say that CT decides it's too expensive to install/support chargers. And simply refused to do so, doubling down on exclusively retailing gas. At what point would you actually call them out? If they double down on only retailing gas when a quarter of the cars on the road are BEVs are you going to be here saying, "It's only a quarter."?
|
Without getting too philosophical, as a general life rule, I try to not create expectations and instead convert them to desires. Having said that, I do beleive that they will install them within the next decade (and probably within the next 5 years).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
I was speculating. That was obvious. But I don't think I'm wrong in thinking they would pay if a location generates enough revenue or brand recognition for them. This isn't some far fetched business idea.
|
It really depends who you are talking about.
I don't think Ivy (being supported by two provincial crown corporations) has deep enough pockets to pay rent at this time, and they are less about getting their name out and more about promoting the adoption of EVs.
Regarding Electrify Canada, assuming they have the same business model as Electrify America, they do have a large amount of cash now, but their business model requires that they be
sustainable after their 10-year implementation period (when the money from VW runs out). The question becomes, are they better building more chargers at more locations that provide free rent or fewer chargers at fewer locations and pay rent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
Define "lucrative". Are they profitable? Absolutely. But retailing gasoline isn't exactly a high margin business. There's a reason every gas station has a convenience store attached. And CT has to pay higher rent premiums to operate at the OnRoutes.
|
The profitability of a gas station comes down to the real estate mantra of "location, location, location." Sure the rent will be higher at an ONroute but with a large flow of traffic, the income will also be much higher. And being a large network rather than a small owner-operator, the risks are mitigated.
It is true that convenience stores add revenue (why not sell an overpriced chocolate bar or some cigarettes with some gas) but the main reason is to try and differentiate themselves from other nearby stations (if I need gas and want a snack, I will chose the station that can sell me both).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
If they get paid enough for it? Sure. We gave HKSC carte blanche in that deal, remember? You seem to think that's okay. So I guess you should be okay with HKSC pocketing a good chunk of change by making sure only Teslas can fuel at OnRoutes till the end of the current deal.
Personally? It would 🞵🞵🞵🞵. But then I'd just go with the obvious decision. Guess you'd have to stick with Tesla at that point.
|
It comes down to which option will make them more money in the long run? While most BEVs on the road today are Teslas, in 5 years time things are likely to be totally different. An exclusive contract with Tesla would probably have long term revenue implications for the ONroute stations. They are likely better off to hold out for a better deal.
Also, I never said I way okay with the decision, just that I understand why it was made at the time. If someone bought Nortel stock in 1999 (and not sold it before the crash) as part of their portfolio, it might have seemed a good idea at the time, but in hind sight it would be viewed as a bad decision. Sure you can second guess and and say as an investor you should have seen that bad decisions were being made that led to the crash, but that isn't always obvious at the time as it is in hindsight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
This is exactly the problem though. Thanks to the contract the province negotiated, OnRoutes have exclusivity on all 400 series controlled access freeways. Something like Gridserve wouldn't even be possible unless its off-highway. So we've essentially created a scenario where we aren't building charging infrastructure in literally the most obvious locations to build them (where lots of cars stop for 20-30 mins) because we gave some company a half-century exclusivity that cover any and all technological evolution. How anybody can defend that is beyond me.
|
I am not saying it was a great decision and should be repeated. I am saying that it seemed like a good decision at the time. There is a big difference.