HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:11 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
The UK has had thousands of years of history and a global power with influence over large swaths of the planet. Unless Southern Ontario can do the same thing I doubt it'll match England's population for centuries to come. I can't think of any scenario for Maritimes with 50 million people.
What a bizarre argument. That has practically no bearing on population change going forward nor would any of those things be required to grow southern Ontario's population 4 fold. Whether Canadians want 58 million people in Southern Ontario is another matter.

I know British politicians/media feed the line to Brits that the UK is a global power (I'm British born) but that hasn't been true for decades. The reality is that we live in a world with 2 extremely powerful countries (China, USA) and then there's everyone else. We're fooling ourselves if we think Germany, Japan, France, the UK, India, etc. play on that same level. None of these are global in their reach and/or capability. The UK is best described as a Middle Power (along with 10-15 other countries) although I realize the term 'Global Power' is more palatable in certain quarters.

And over the long term (50-80 years), I wouldn't be surprised if Australia and Canada grew to become the 2 largest economies in the Western world after the USA. Most of the West is in relative decline. Australia and Canada are still in ascension imo. They'll gradually reel in Italy, France, the UK, and Germany till they're sitting #2 and #3.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT

Last edited by isaidso; Dec 8, 2020 at 12:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.