HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15061  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 6:21 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,786
Nice!
Was it in a flimsy paper bag they gave you?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15062  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:05 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Nice!
Was it in a flimsy paper bag they gave you?

Yes, but I had put that bag into what I thought was a sturdy plastic bag from No Frills. It was my fault but I'll now make sure I have a very sturdy reusable bag to carry those big and heavy "family size" bottles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15063  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:20 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,786
They may have a lot of breakage complaints since they switched to paper bags!

Those yellow 5 cent No Frills bags tend to stretch and break at the handles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15064  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:42 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,786

https://www.return-it.ca/blog/unifieddeposit/

The Unified Deposit transition period ends October 11th.
After that, you only get a 10 cent refund, even if you paid a 20 cent deposit.
If you've been saving up those big containers during COVID - get down to the recycling depot.

https://www.return-it.ca/blog/unifieddeposit/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15065  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 2:16 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought the retail thread might be apropos.

I had a little incident at the Cambie Street Liquor Store by 8th Avenue today. After I descended the steps and exited onto the sidewalk I dropped my bag. WHOOSH goes 1.75L of Tanquerey Gin across the sidewalk ($53.49 worth). My heart sank.

I scooped it all up and went straight back into the store to the customer service counter. No one there but then a guy came up behind me and I said "Sorry, I had a little accident as I was going out the door."

He immediately took the dripping bag and I asked if the store had a policy about "spillage". He said yes and went off to dispose of the gin soaked debris. He then came out and went straight over to the gin section and grabbed another bottle and handed it to me. I offered to show him my receipt but he just waved it off and said that's okay. I said "Thank you very much, I really appreciate that."

So, props to the management at the Cambie store and a heads up to anyone that inadvertently destroys their purchase on their way out of the store that it's worth a try to request a replacement due to "spillage". Of course, if you were half way down the block it might not work but if it's near the door it might be good for a replacement. Probably depends on the particular manager on duty.

It used to be that as long as you could show that the bottle cap or cork seal was unbroken that you could get a refund for a shattered bottle. Maybe that's the rule they applied for you?
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15066  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:01 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Moose Knuckles is opening in the old gap spot at Pacific Centre.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-in...les-launches-significant-store-expansion
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15067  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:06 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
They are reasonably priced and have pretty good quality clothing in my opinion. It's always a go to store of mine.
Very much agreed! Many other brands can't beat this Spanish clothing retailer when it comes to style and price, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15068  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 2:01 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Park Royal isn;t getting an apple store but they are getting a jump+

sorry for the weird focus, it will be right across from Simons

2020-10-10_06-59-29 by snub_you, on Flickr
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15069  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 10:28 PM
Galaxy's Avatar
Galaxy Galaxy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
It used to be that as long as you could show that the bottle cap or cork seal was unbroken that you could get a refund for a shattered bottle. Maybe that's the rule they applied for you?
The products(Liquor) explosive at times so I have had bottles literally explode in my hands so its all good to get a replacement in situations like yours Mcminsen! Ive yet to get hurt but am glad that I wear glass as glass flies in all directions when these bottles explode!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15070  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 1:22 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,885
Hudson's Bay is being evicted from malls in Quebec due to unpaid rent and several other mall operators are claiming they've not paid rent as well. Was reading recently in BIV, I believe, that they were seriously in arrears at Park Royal too.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-in...-malls-banana-republic-shutters-on-bloor
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15071  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 2:54 PM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Hudson's Bay is being evicted from malls in Quebec due to unpaid rent and several other mall operators are claiming they've not paid rent as well. Was reading recently in BIV, I believe, that they were seriously in arrears at Park Royal too.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-in...-malls-banana-republic-shutters-on-bloor
Maybe that's why they didn't apply for the federal government COVID rental plan?

They are getting sued in Nanaimo for their Home Outfitters location (?) at the end of September

Quote:
Defendant

Hudson’s Bay Company ULC

Plaintiff

Dover Pointe Centre Ltd.

Claim

$542,634 for breach of lease.
https://biv.com/article/2020/09/whos-getting-sued-september-28-2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15072  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:14 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,786
Foot Locker to open new store location on Robson Street


https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/foot-locker-vancouver-1067-robson-street
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15073  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:55 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
oh so thats what it is.
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15074  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 5:18 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,794
Miniso is for lease on Robson with a two months notice clause.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15075  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 1:50 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Foot Locker to open new store location on Robson Street


https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/foot-locker-vancouver-1067-robson-street
I was really hoping for Uniqlo but still a good draw for the 1000 block Robson.
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15076  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:01 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,786
Just north of King Edward Ave. next to the Shato Holdings Building.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/10/15/massive-fire-vancouver-cambie/


"It's absolutely devastating": Cambie Village fire destroys local businesses



https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cambie-village-fire-vancouver-businesses

Last edited by officedweller; Oct 15, 2020 at 8:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15077  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:49 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Well, if you choose an old wood shack to house your business, this is the kind of risk that you should be prepared to face. Suxx because this is one of those preventable things that drives up the insurance rates of others.

I bet the concrete building next door just shrugged off the fire.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15078  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:22 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,794
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15079  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:38 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,786
Not unexpected, I guess.

What's weird is the reversal of perspective regarding the Shato Holdings Building.

It used to be the sore thumb that stuck out against the one storey buildings.
Now, with the new block to the east and the one at the station, it looks like the undersized building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15080  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:44 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Cambie Village fire destroys local businesses

Oct.15 '20, my pics




















Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.