Quote:
Originally Posted by micmiko
Where's the data that supports an Arbutus-to-Main streetcar will be busier than Arbutus-to-UBC?
|
I just wanted to echo that I completely agree that we are missing the commuter data to support a decision to build the Arbutus LRT route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
Let's say you're going between OV and Main Street - are you really SkyTrain-ing all the way to Granville/VanCityCentre instead of just taking the tram?
Granted, the OV-Arbutus and Waterfront-Main connections are a lot less competitive, but they still serve as a helpful relief valve; anybody with something to do along the way (and there's a lot of that) is going to be using the tram instead of the SkyTrain. That takes pressure off the busiest part of our network.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmiko
I don't think Vancouver is at a point where a "relief line" is needed over a line to a large, known employment destination and one of the fastest growing areas in Greater Vancouver (UEL). If the demand is warranted for the False Creek streetcar, then extend the 50 to Main Street Station and see what kind of ridership levels you'll get. Priority-wise, though, it's quite low on the list, given the more pressing need for the other lines throughout Metro Van.
|
I agree with both of you on different points.
I agree with Migrant in regards to commuter patterns from Main Street > OV; there is quite a lot of restaurants, shopping, light industrial, breweries and housing that makes this specific area function dynamically. I can't seem to find the study (and I am not even sure if it was a Canadian study) but I am pretty sure that there was a study that looked at data on commuter 'transfer' behaviour and found that most people would prefer not to transfer or only to transfer once?
If this ends up being easy to find, I'm gonna kick myself lol.
micmoko - I totally agree with you on extending the 50 to Main Street Science World station to gather more data ridership numbers and demand. I will say, though, that when the Millennium line extends to Arbutus street that it will change commuter patterns in the region maybe even warranting a relief line of some sort.
Unfortunately I can see the Arbutus greenway line being built only as a sudden knee-jerk reaction to high Canada line ridership numbers. And I think that it is possible because the Canada line carries less PPHPD than the Millennium line. But I don't see that happening until after the Millennium line to UBC is built. Even if Metro Vancouver built the Arbutus greenway LRT line, it truly would be one of the best surface-level LRT systems built in the country IMO

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write
Where will the OMC be? Will they use OMC 3/4 (depending on if you could Canada Line as OMC 3), or build OMC5 in Surrey?
|
I believe that there is an OMC that would be constructed near Langley (which is one of Langley's main offers in getting the Skytrain to their city)? But I am happy to be corrected

.