Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
If I'm lobbying for LRT, I would say that for probly much less than the cost of Skytain from Arbutus to UBC, you could build an LRT line from Main Street/Science World to UBC.
The line could utilize a right of way that is already there up to 16th and Arbutus, where it would turn west on 16th (which has a wide median that could accomodate LRT) towards UBC. There would be a very strong network effect with this line, as it would connect with 3 Skytrain lines in the Metro Core.
|
I don't know where I am on it. I do like surface running light rail. There seem to be lrt's all over Canada's big 6 (or 7) cities, but nothing in Vancouver.
The interesting thing about the Jan 2019 skytrain to UBC alternatives study is it's first online exposure of the traffic modelling system in use. This model shows the effects of what people will do when we change the transportation system around (cars/buses/lrt/skytrain/traffic lights). When a system is already volume bound, by increasing capacity somewhere, you have the unfortunate side effect of making the system slower usually, if you don't carefully plan. LRT doesn't seem to soak up all of the latent demand of the corridor, but I'm not sure yet. Also, future demand (past the latent demand, meaning more jobs and people living in the arbutus to ubc stretch) doesn't seem to change the load profile past 2045.
Given that we have about 5 skytrain stops with low demand, why not build out there before building out in UBC? LRT may actually make the world more car dependent because the system doesn't have capacity and no one wants to wait in line ups. So I'm still looking at that pivotal Jan 2019 document because it's the right approach, but I'm not sure I see all the angles yet. They also want to make Broadway a great street. Even if we shave off a couple of lanes, it will take some significant architecture using some great minds to pull it off. I can't see how anyone can feel safe on a truck route. The stretch past Arbutus and what people usually call West Broadway (greek town to some), does feel different and is thinner. Even thinner, with bike lanes will require some artistic and architectural minds to make Broadway great. A lot of great streets have LRT running through them, but I haven't seen the latest versions of LRT in other cities in Canada recently. I used to live along King street in Toronto a long time ago, but everything has changed. What is best for this city? We managed to stave off the highway, unlike every other major city in Canada and I'm hoping our planning will make the right choice. For COV, they say they don't want to talk anything but skytrain to UBC, but I'm still reading the Jan 2019 document to see their argument as the document's argument is complicated, but it's the right approach to model volume of traffic and psychological decision making. I certainly concur that when I plan to get around the city I think....ok..skytrain..fast and reliable...I'll go that way.
I think Cambie will be the only North/South RRT and that they will double track portions and who knows what else to increase peak past 12000 ppphd, and most indications are for an 8 minute headway 18km/h trolley service running down Arbutus with 400 - 800m stops (16,19,25,33 etc) with a maintenance facility in the flats with the major north south part not even being discussed with any document available online as to timing. UBC is a major employment center and people don't like to transition from one service to another. Most of the volume and the major planning for volume is all around students though and not employment (but I could be misunderstanding the latent demand as by 2045 there are 70k students modelled):
"School enrollment projections at UBC ....This is the primary variable that is driving
ridership increases on the rapid transit alternatives to/from campus"
[Rail to UBC Rapid Transit Study - TransLink
Jan 2019]
https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documen...9_01_24_technical_report_rail_to_ubc.pdf
Mobility pricing will move the bar more than anything else for mode share. I think in order to cross Broadway street (and make it great), they have no choice to but slow traffic down as they cannot eliminate it. This is probably why the planning document of Jan 2019 slows down the lrt speed from arbutus to ubc, because currently the bus can and will move more than 25km/h avg(It has to in order to move all the additional people from Commercial to Arbutus stops and keep them going to the end). By changing the volume of the line and putting the bulk of the people at Arbutus station, there will significant consideration for moving those people so there isn't queues several blocks long but I'm dead certain the planners no know this already.
I'm trying to understand why such a bias towards skytrain and what are all the assumptions. It's hard to understand decisions when you don't know what you don't know. (I understand what everyone has posted here to defend skytrain). I want what's best for the city in the long term. Whatever will be will be though.