HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9221  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:40 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post
Yep. Westjet interprovincial flights in BC, AB, SK and MB are all seeing healthy loads. Much less so for flights out East. If current trends hold YYC will likely retake 3rd place for Canadian airport passengers enplanements this FY (not that it really matters).
FY, is that "fiscal year" or "🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 year".

What really matters is for airlines, especially foreign ones, to come back at the airport, eventually.

Good think KLM resumed service this month. 3 months of zero intl passengers would be embarrassing, considering YYC is still 1 of only 4 airports in the whole country that can accept flights from Europe and Asia. You'd think that would be an advantage. Guess not.

YYC doesn't even want to write "0" and "-100%" in the international column for the months of May and June. They're just hyphen-ing it, as if the data is missing, or not yet available....lol

https://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/factsfigures/passengerstatistics.aspx

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jul 28, 2020 at 10:08 PM.
     
     
  #9222  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 11:30 PM
Mazrim's Avatar
Mazrim Mazrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
YYC doesn't even want to write "0" and "-100%" in the international column for the months of May and June. They're just hyphen-ing it, as if the data is missing, or not yet available....lol
Right, because -99.8% isn't bad. If there was no passengers, there's no data. Pretty simple stuff.
     
     
  #9223  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:05 AM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Right, because -99.8% isn't bad
The real number for the second quarter is actually -99.999%, but because they didn't fill in May and June International numbers, the guy doing the graphs just copy/pasted the April % decrease of 99.8%.
     
     
  #9224  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:03 AM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
With August starting tomorrow, here is a look a head to what's happening this month. There was a lot of changes (particularly Transborder) just this week.

This list doesn't include TS or F8.

All destinations outside of Canada are in bold.

Air Canada
YEG - 2x daily
YMM - 2x daily
YQU - 4x weekly
YOW - 1x daily
YWG - 4x weekly
YYJ - 1x daily
YUL - 3x daily
YYZ - 6x daily
YVR - 6x daily
Approx 161 weekly

WestJet
LGW - 3x weekly (From August 20)
CDG - 2x weekly (From August 20)
LAX - 3x weekly
ATL - 3x weekly

YXX - 2x daily
YQQ - 1x daily
YXC - 4x weekly
YXJ - 2x daily
YKA - 1x daily
YLW - 3x daily
YCD - 1x daily
YYF - 1x daily
YVR - 7x daily
YYJ - 2x daily
YEG - 6x daily
YMM - 3x daily
YQU - 3x daily
YQL - 3x weekly
YLL - 2x weekly
YXH - 2x weekly
YZF - 4x weekly
YBR - 3x weekly
YQR - 3x daily
YXE - 3x daily
YWG - 3x daily
YHM - 4x weekly
YKF - 4x weekly
YOW - 6x weekly
YYZ - 6x daily
YUL - 6x weekly
YHZ - 1x daily
Approx: 388 weekly

WS is increasing 787 service on YYZ to 5x weekly, along with resuming TATL service mid-August.

American Airlines
DFW - 1x daily

Delta Airlines

MSP - 1x daily

United Airlines
ORD - 1x daily
DEN - 1x daily
IAH - 1x daily
(Looks like the IAH schedule is being modified, but still open for res as of July 31 from Aug 6).

KLM
AMS - 3x weekly
     
     
  #9225  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 3:49 AM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
WS is increasing 787 service on YYZ to 5x weekly, along with resuming TATL service mid-August.
As far as I can tell, the 5 weekly Dreamliner service between YYC and YYZ will be short lived as it appears to end when TATL service starts. Probably because there are no TATL flights out of YYZ at this time so no need to have the planes there anymore.
     
     
  #9226  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 10:34 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Interesting to see the frequency differences between AC and WS for some of the larger domestic stations. Big difference in service to YUL and YWG whereas YVR, YYZ and YOW are about equal.

Montreal - AC 21X Weekly, WS 6X Weekly
Winnipeg - AC 4X Weekly, WS 21 Weekly

388 weekly flights for WestJet is a lot - I'd wager this is more than AC's domestic offering ex-YVR at the moment. YYC had more domestic pax than YVR in May, it will be interesting to see if that trend continues through the summer.
     
     
  #9227  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 10:58 PM
PPAR's Avatar
PPAR PPAR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 604
Never let a crisis go to waste. WestJet wants to solidify YYC as a fortress hub.

I travel frequently out of YYC and have always collected Aeroplan points. I find that I am actively considering switching to WS loyalty as my primary program (ie. switch over my credit card, and favor WS flights where I have the choice.)

I doubt I am alone in this thought.
     
     
  #9228  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 10:44 PM
outoftheice outoftheice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
Never let a crisis go to waste. WestJet wants to solidify YYC as a fortress hub.

I travel frequently out of YYC and have always collected Aeroplan points. I find that I am actively considering switching to WS loyalty as my primary program (ie. switch over my credit card, and favor WS flights where I have the choice.)

I doubt I am alone in this thought.
Due to the Covid flight schedules or due to other factors?
     
     
  #9229  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 11:01 PM
PPAR's Avatar
PPAR PPAR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 604
Covid has seemed to accelerate what was already happening with WestJet flight choice dominance at YYC. With the addition of flights to London and the Delta codeshares WestJet beginning to own AC.
     
     
  #9230  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 11:40 PM
Pegasus's Avatar
Pegasus Pegasus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
Covid has seemed to accelerate what was already happening with WestJet flight choice dominance at YYC. With the addition of flights to London and the Delta codeshares WestJet beginning to own AC.
Good luck with Gatwick (distance to London and reduced connectivity - airlines such as BA have consolidated their flights at Heathrow)
     
     
  #9231  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 12:00 AM
PPAR's Avatar
PPAR PPAR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 604
[QUOTE=Pegasus;8999350]Good luck with Gatwick (distance to London and reduced connectivity - airlines such as BA have consolidated their flights at Heathrow)[/QUOTET

I fly BA as well, enjoy the product and am an Avios member. So this does not really help the AC cause.
     
     
  #9232  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 12:58 AM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
Air Canada doesn’t seem that interested in competing here anymore. They’ve made YVR their primary focus in the west, just like WestJet did with YYC. At this point, I’d venture a guess that both FRA and LHR won’t be back until next year. NRT may not come back at all. Transborder all depends on if the US ever decides to take things serious.

If your looking to get to the UK non-stop, WestJet will probably be the sole carrier for a while. I still think CDG will get extended to year round this winter too.
     
     
  #9233  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 1:07 AM
wave46 wave46 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Air Canada doesn’t seem that interested in competing here anymore. They’ve made YVR their primary focus in the west, just like WestJet did with YYC. At this point, I’d venture a guess that both FRA and LHR won’t be back until next year. NRT may not come back at all. Transborder all depends on if the US ever decides to take things serious.

If your looking to get to the UK non-stop, WestJet will probably be the sole carrier for a while. I still think CDG will get extended to year round this winter too.
Right now, the international travel market is so depressed that wasting any resources competing is just burning cash.

Basically, I'd imagine that Air Canada is letting Westjet have YYC at this juncture.
     
     
  #9234  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:25 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Right now, the international travel market is so depressed that wasting any resources competing is just burning cash.

Basically, I'd imagine that Air Canada is letting Westjet have YYC at this juncture.
Not just WestJet, but foreign carriers too are taking advantage. This week United & KLM increased their flights. I understand you need to focus where your business is stronger though.

---

Also looks like American will only serve YYC in Western Canada in September with 11-13x weekly flights to DFW. *subject to change*

United currently has 1x daily ORD & DEN scheduled in September.
     
     
  #9235  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:01 AM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Right now, the international travel market is so depressed that wasting any resources competing is just burning cash.

Basically, I'd imagine that Air Canada is letting Westjet have YYC at this juncture.
WestJet is consolidating at YYC and reducing YVR.
Air Canada is consolidating at YVR and reducing YYC.
YYC-YVR is the most popular route in Western Canada.

I think FRA and LHR will come back soon, FRA is scheduled for September again. Lots of premium pax on that route. LHR will need to wait until YVR-LHR is solid but keep in mind AC runs very little West coast-Europe and other carriers compete in YVR for Europe. YVR is primarily AC's Asia hub. I don't think AC has given up on YYC; it's just YVR is more important so AC rather route via YVR. Once loads increase, they will re-establish these routes. It was pretty crazy I couldn't do YYC-YWG on AC in July though; cut to the bone. Will be interesting to see when if any trans-border opens up... WS is having a tough time keeping anything beyond basic connectivity.
     
     
  #9236  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:03 AM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Anyone know when AS will resume to SEA? Used to be 3x daily.
     
     
  #9237  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:10 AM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
I still think CDG will get extended to year round this winter too.
I can't imagine they'd restart so late if they didn't intend to run in winter. I think the intent is to codeshare with AF.
     
     
  #9238  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:41 AM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
Anyone know when AS will resume to SEA? Used to be 3x daily.
Currently scheduled September 1, once daily. But I’m not positive that will actually happen.

Same with AC FRA. I’m not convinced it’ll be back in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I can't imagine they'd restart so late if they didn't intend to run in winter. I think the intent is to codeshare with AF.
I agree. It makes no sense to resume a route at the end of summer for just 2 months. I believe it will be kept 2-3x weekly through winter utilizing AF connections.

This was obviously planned pre-COVID anyways. I see they’ve even already increased it to daily next summer too. (Granted, that is likely to change).
     
     
  #9239  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:50 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
Air Canada has begun updating its September/October schedule and for the 900th time, they've included YYC-FRA, but I still have doubts on it actually happening. No changes made yet for domestic or Transborder.

Shows 3x weekly in September and 5x weekly in October.
     
     
  #9240  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 12:41 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
^
Just one week later AC has removed FRA in September.

WestJet's September schedule is exactly the same as August so far.
LGW - 3x weekly
CDG - 2x weekly
LAX - 3x weekly
ATL - 3x weekly

Domestic sees a small reduction in flights, but September is typically a slower travel month anyways.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:15 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.