Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
Correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't you say you'd prefer public investment directed elsewhere, over and above, OnRoutes?
|
I said the priority should be to fill in the dead zones where you can't drive a BEV.
Quote:
|
And then a long discussion on how EVs don't and shouldn't be using the 401.
|
No. I even said (which you later quoted in post #
382)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
I’m not saying that EVs should be banned from the 401.
|
If you want to use 30% more energy (10% from travelling further and 20% for travelling faster) and be required to make more stops, fill your boots. This means that for many, the couple minutes saved by taking the 401 are blown away by the extra time needed for charging.
Quote:
|
If I misunderstood and misrepresented your viewpoint, I apologize.
|
Apology accepted.
Quote:
|
But it certainly seemed that you think public investment should be directed towards and prioritizes non-400 series expressways (because you think there's enough infrastructure off these highways).
|
That is a bit of a generalization. Certainly highways 400 and 401 seem to have enough infrastructure
for now (though as BEVs become more popular, more infrastructure will be needed). I haven't done a full analysis of all the other 400 series highways.
Quote:
|
Did you? He specifically mentioned two grocery stores. Why didn't you bold that bit?
|
Yes. I didn't bold that bit because it was obvious that you had already noticed it.
Quote:
|
That was in response to your specific example of an outlet mall as a long distance trip.
|
Why do you keep talking about
outlet malls. The malls I previously mentioned (Salmon Run and Destiny USA) are not outlet malls. Maybe you don't know any shoppers, but many people will drive long distances to go to a mall with different stores than they have locally.
Quote:
|
I will stand by my thesis that people go to grocery stores far more often than they do malls.
|
I never disagreed. My thesis is people don't spend enough time at a grocery store in a week to keep their vehicle fully charged using AC Level 2 charging.
Quote:
|
And that's mostly because our malls don't have grocery stores in them.
|
LOL. Some do, but I agree that is an exception. I am still trying to figure out what your thing against having charging stations in malls is? If the mall owner wants to install them, why not let them? Maybe you never go to malls, but some people do (otherwise they wouldn't exist and they wouldn't have big parking lots).
Quote:
|
Exactly what I've said along. This is why I keep saying that there needs to a hell of a more sincere effort at getting chargers in buildings.
|
I don't disagree. The long term solution is not installing massive arrays of charging stations at grocery stores, it is making it so that people can charge their car while they sleep.
Quote:
|
Telling people, "We changed the rules so you can battle your condo board and pay the whole bill." isn't sincere.
|
It isn't intended as a long term solution. It is an option for those who can use it that isn't available to those who rent or don't have a dedicated parking space.
If you actually read the
article I linked to by the CAO, you would see that Section A is all about "Installation by the Corporation." For example, they can install an electric vehicle charging system
without a vote of the owners if "estimated cost of the installation is less than 10 per cent of the annual budgeted common expenses." Granted that means you need a corporation that is supportive of EVs, but it is better than nothing.
Is this all we need as a long term solution? No, but we are the only province to have even this much legislation (
BC is using Ontario as an example of what they could do).
Quote:
|
And beyond the home, target places that more people have to visit frequently. I think that's grocery stores and gyms. Malls and places of worship in some cases. I've asked you to brainstorm other places you think people visit weekly beyond home and work. I'd like to hear your ideas.
|
I did previously say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
Different people have different interests. Some go see movies regularly, some go shopping, some go to the gym, some like to eat out, some spend hours at the rink, etc.
|
so:
- theatres,
- shopping centres,
- gyms (often in shopping centres),
- restaurants (especially sit down ones),
- sports complexes
I was also going to say bars, but because of drinking and driving, maybe not, though you could have a designated driver (maybe MAD could have an EV DD programme).