Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli
Now that Bill 22 would transfer regional board appointments from the local jurisdictions directly to the Municipal Affairs Minister's office, should the Edmonton region put a pause on the regional transit commission until a more Edmonton-friendly government comes to power? I just don't trust Madu. He may represent a district in Edmonton. But I feel that after he defended a racist and anti-semite, I honestly don't know where his loyalties lie.
|
The answer is no. Waiting 3 years for a potential change in government amounts to shelving the initiative, and there's no guarantee that municipalities will still support it then.
Either way I feel like this simply puts in writing what the Province has always been able to do. Since Alberta only has single tier municipalities, regional issues exist in a grey area which folks have kludged through, even now. I'm not really worried about Edmonton being affected, given the extremely limited scope of the Commission and lack of Provincial involvement to date. Rather, I think this is more about laying the groundwork for the Calgary-Banff train that's currently being studied.