HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 8:28 PM

B.C. approves $9 million in grants for cycling, pedestrian infrastructure

Quote:
The provincial government has approved grants for improved pedestrian and cycling infrastructure in 23 communities around British Columbia, including six projects on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, as well as three on the South Coast.

The funding is part of the province's Active Transportation Grants program, and totals nearly $9 million across the 23 infrastructure projects and 21 planning projects in smaller communities.

Infrastructure projects approved under the program can include improvements to sidewalks, improved lighting along pathways, multi-use and protected travel lanes for cyclists and pedestrians, and other amenities that connect people to public transit, downtown areas and schools, according to a news release from the provincial government.

The District of North Vancouver will receive $500,000 for the Lynn Valley Road Active Transportation Project, which will provide pedestrian and cycling infrastructure extending existing cycling facilities and connecting to a regional park and demonstration trail.

A full list of all the projects being funded around the province can be found here. (pdf)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
In a related note (and I didn't want to start a thread just for this): Vancouver councillor wants shared e-scooter pilot running by fall
Wasn't Mobi investing in some e-bikes as part of their fleet? Seems to me that might be a better fit.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 8:01 PM

Much as I support e-bikes, wouldn't that require a retrofit of every Mobi station? I'd argue that scooters are more portable too.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Much as I support e-bikes, wouldn't that require a retrofit of every Mobi station? I'd argue that scooters are more portable too.
I guess that depends what version of the word "scooter" applies here.

The Mobi thing might operate the way e-scooters do in the US. People get paid to take them home and charge them.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I guess that depends what version of the word "scooter" applies here.

The Mobi thing might operate the way e-scooters do in the US. People get paid to take them home and charge them.
99.9% sure the Councillor's suggesting one of these. People want an electric moped, they can go and buy one themselves!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:00 AM

Does BC have a one meter passing rule? I see this on the website:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...ivers-cyclists

But can’t find any reference to an actual law enforceable with fines. Nearly got killed by an asshole in a truck doing 80 in a 30 today.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:41 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Does BC have a one meter passing rule? I see this on the website:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...ivers-cyclists

But can’t find any reference to an actual law enforceable with fines. Nearly got killed by an asshole in a truck doing 80 in a 30 today.
Its a general guideline until a cop pulls you over for blocking traffic because you arent biking in the door zone beside parked cars.

Cycling infrastructure is a joke here and a result of lazy and cheap planning. Designating a shoulder as a bike lane beside traffic over 50km/hr should never be allowed unless the shoulder is grade seperated. One person was killed in Maple Ridge last week while cycling the shoulder.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 7:15 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted already

Quote:
British Columbia is quadrupling the fine for motorists caught “dooring” cyclists.

Dooring refers to when a driver opens their door without looking, striking a cyclist in the road.

The collisions, which are nearly impossible for a cyclist to avoid, can result in serious injury or death.

“Dooring is a really big problem because the consequences of the particular collisions are very severe,” said Hub Cycling acting executive director Navdeep Chhina.

“I think it’s a positive step, but there’s a lot more we need to do to reform our outdated Motor Vehicle Act, including safe passing distance for people cycling — right now there is no safe passing distance.”

Under B.C.’s Motor Vehicle Act, it is illegal to open a car door on the side of moving traffic unless it is safe to do so.

The Ministry of Transportation says effective Sept. 21, anyone caught opening the door of a parked car when it is unsafe to do so can be fined $368, up from a previous $81.

The province will be pairing the new fines with a public education campaign.

“Making the offence of dooring equivalent to distracted driving and excessive speeding offences in terms of the fine is another necessary step to help keep our most vulnerable road users safe,” said Vancouver-West End MLA Spencer Chandra-Herbert.

In 2019, a B.C. man was charged with unsafely opening a vehicle door in a collision that killed a 55-year-old cyclist on West Esplanade in North Vancouver.

A Global News investigation found there were 370 dooring incidents in Vancouver between 2009 and 2013, but that just 22 tickets were handed out.

One method cycling advocates have promoted in an effort to reduce dooring collisions is known as the “Dutch reach.”

The maneuver involves a vehicle occupant using their right hand to reach across their body to open the vehicle’s door.

The technique requires a driver or passenger to look over their shoulder and into traffic before the door is open, thus spotting any approaching cyclists.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 7:55 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Video Link

That's a lot of money. To compare that's the same cost for being busted the first time under the Distracted Driving law (not including ICBC penalties, because everyone's gotta have their dip).
Quote:
One method cycling advocates have promoted in an effort to reduce dooring collisions is known as the “Dutch reach.”

The maneuver involves a vehicle occupant using their right hand to reach across their body to open the vehicle’s door.

The technique requires a driver or passenger to look over their shoulder and into traffic before the door is open, thus spotting any approaching cyclists.
Can also attest, this doesn't necessarily work when parallel parked and they're ripping up the street at any rate of speed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
That's a lot of money. To compare that's the same cost for being busted the first time under the Distracted Driving law...
To be clear, the fine is for a motorist who actually doors a cyclist. In other words, the cyclist got whacked by the door. It's not a "victimless crime" like a motorist who's looking at their phone but who hasn't actually hit anyone.

Cyclists have been killed when they hit a door opened unexpectedly by a motorist and it throws them off their bike and into the path of a vehicle. At the very least any cyclist who runs into a door is likely to have injuries at least as severe as a mild physical assault.

A few hundred bucks really doesn't seem all that much to me.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Its a general guideline until a cop pulls you over for blocking traffic because you arent biking in the door zone beside parked cars.

Cycling infrastructure is a joke here and a result of lazy and cheap planning. Designating a shoulder as a bike lane beside traffic over 50km/hr should never be allowed unless the shoulder is grade seperated. One person was killed in Maple Ridge last week while cycling the shoulder.
It's disappointing. I don't think cycling on the shoulder is a good idea, even if it is a designated bike lane. Increased risk of hitting an obstacle and being clipped by vehicles. Cars also don't seem to care and use it as a parking space, so increased risk of being doored.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 10:07 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
It's disappointing. I don't think cycling on the shoulder is a good idea, even if it is a designated bike lane. Increased risk of hitting an obstacle and being clipped by vehicles. Cars also don't seem to care and use it as a parking space, so increased risk of being doored.
Oh for sure. I will sometimes drive down the SFPR and occasionally see cyclist on the shoulder. It has definitely been more common this summer. The BC MOT is very slow, however on cleaning those "bike lanes" and it is not uncommon to see random debris (tire, wooden planks, glass and metal) on the side of the road there for a week. Makes me wonder how those cyclist get by it. Seen very close calls on Hwy 17, Lougheed Hwy and Ladner Trunk Rd.

Then as you say; you have the parked car doors vs cyclist dilemma. I think another issue is the city designating far too many roads as cycling routes. "Share the roads" when there is 1 lane with street parking both sides? It doesn't take an advanced planner to know that's a recipe for disaster.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Then as you say; you have the parked car doors vs cyclist dilemma. I think another issue is the city designating far too many roads as cycling routes. "Share the roads" when there is 1 lane with street parking both sides? It doesn't take an advanced planner to know that's a recipe for disaster.
Legally cyclists are allowed to bike on any road and to fully take up the lane and should do so if it's safer.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Can also attest, this doesn't necessarily work when parallel parked and they're ripping up the street at any rate of speed.
Yeah, it's the differential in speed that causes the accidents.
Even when you do a shoulder check, within the 2 seconds it takes to exit, the cyclist or other car can be upon you.

That's the same reason why cars are not permitted to enter HOV lanes except at entrances (i.e. to prevent cars stopped in traffic from pulling out (slowly) into a high speed HOV lane).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:51 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Legally cyclists are allowed to bike on any road and to fully take up the lane and should do so if it's safer.
While it sounds correct in theory and should be practiced, the reality is that motorists can frustrated being stuck behind a "slow" cyclist. That creates further danger for the cyclists due to road rage. I am all for cycling like I am a car and taking up a lane and following car rule as much as possible (if I'm not on a bike lane), but it is very scary to see cars closely zip by you and don't treat you as a motor vehicle in return. So as a cyclist, you end up in this limbo where you're forced to be creative, then people blame cyclists for "changing their minds". I think that's why there definitely are a sizeable amount of cyclists who zip between pedestrians and cars, because that mentality is forced into them through experience when cycling on non-bike lanes.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
While it sounds correct in theory and should be practiced, the reality is that motorists can frustrated being stuck behind a "slow" cyclist. That creates further danger for the cyclists due to road rage.
Most motorists and most cyclists are pretty reasonable, of course - it's the outliers that create the conflicts. In my cycling experience there are a lot of motorists who are almost too courteous and stop and wait when there isn't a need or when they have the right of way. And then you get the occasional impatient SOB who leans on the horn because he's too impatient to wait 15 or 30 seconds for you to get to a stretch with no parked cars so you can move right to let them pass. I often wonder if they're just as rude when they get stuck behind a backhoe...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:29 PM

I'm assuming this is the best spot to post this

Quote:
The B.C. government is pumping more funds into the tires of its e-bike rebate program in a bid to encourage drivers to swap for a more energy-efficient option.

Individuals who trade in their cars could receive up to $1,050 toward the purchase of a new e-bike, up $200 from the previous year’s rebate amount.

The rebate is being offered through the Scrap-It transportation options program and will see the transportation ministry contributing $1,000 toward each rebate, while participating retailers will cover the remaining $50.

Business owners can also participate in a one-year pilot project that allows for a rebate of up to $1,700 toward the purchase of a cargo e-bike. Eligible business will have up to a third of the purchase price covered by the rebate, and the program allows for the purchase of up to five cargo e-bikes per business.

“The popularity of e-bikes is on the rise and our government wants to encourage more people to purchase and ride these bikes,” said Transportation Minister Claire Trevena.

“That’s why we are boosting the e-bike rebates for people and businesses. E-bikes are a much cheaper alternative to cars and are a safe way to travel. We look forward to seeing more people using e-bikes for getting around.”

B.C.’s transportation ministry will contribute $750,000 toward the two programs over two years, while the energy ministry has contributed $750,000 toward the Scrap-It program and $2.5 million toward the speciality-use vehicle incentive program.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:39 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Nothing for individuals who don't have a car to trade in but might be interested in getting a new e-bike?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Nothing for individuals who don't have a car to trade in but might be interested in getting a new e-bike?
Scrap-it still exists, plus $8k total rebates for EVs. What else do you want?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
I think the biggest incentive for people who don't have a car is that eBikes are a helluva lot cheaper...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure