HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
I actually don't really want these slow streets to stay permanent. Excessively wide sidewalks feel more desolate, like Broadway.
"Slow Streets" is on local roads while widening sidewalk space to physical distance and allow outdoor patios are in pedestrian and shopping/restaurant heavy areas, unlike Broadway.

There is "Slow Streets" initiative and the "Employment Areas" initiative.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
"Slow Streets" is on local roads while widening sidewalk space to physical distance and allow outdoor patios are in pedestrian and shopping/restaurant heavy areas, unlike Broadway.

There is "Slow Streets" initiative and the "Employment Areas" initiative.
I know, but empty sidewalks aren't appealing in general. Most of the important commercial areas are on roads that can't be narrowed long term (arterials).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:43 PM

The idea is to put restaurant patios on them.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
The idea is to put restaurant patios on them.
How many of these spaces actually have restaurants nearby that can use them? Most of them are residential streets.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
How many of these spaces actually have restaurants nearby that can use them? Most of them are residential streets.
As I understand, you're referencing "phase 1" which was initiated between May 22-28, with "phase 2", expanding areas along commercial streets for pedestrians and patios (the "Employment Areas" phase as mentioned). I'm sure this is still with Staff working with BIA's and I think has been circulated to coming out in July. Que enhancements on roadway has been implemented.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 6:31 PM

Quote:
As I understand, you're referencing "phase 1" which was initiated between May 22-28, with "phase 2", expanding areas along commercial streets for pedestrians and patios (the "Employment Areas" phase as mentioned). I'm sure this is still with Staff working with BIA's and I think has been circulated to coming out in July. Que enhancements on roadway has been implemented.
As I said earlier, you can't keep the ones on commercial streets permanent because they're generally arterials. So there's not many places you can or want to put them permanently.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
As I said earlier, you can't keep the ones on commercial streets permanent because they're generally arterials. So there's not many places you can or want to put them permanently.
Like parklets on Robson, Davie, or Commercial?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of commercial "arterials" in Vancouver with all-day curbside parking - I'm thinking of streets like Arbutus, Commercial, Main, Fraser, etc. The pedestrian and patio space would no doubt come from the parking lanes and wouldn't affect through traffic.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
There are plenty of commercial "arterials" in Vancouver with all-day curbside parking - I'm thinking of streets like Arbutus, Commercial, Main, Fraser, etc. The pedestrian and patio space would no doubt come from the parking lanes and wouldn't affect through traffic.
Pretty sure you'd get those same businesses you're trying to help with patios mad about losing curbside parking...

Quote:
Like parklets on Robson, Davie, or Commercial?
Well, yeah, but those aren't exactly part of the 'slow streets' program.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure you'd get those same businesses you're trying to help with patios mad about losing curbside parking...

The 'Slow Streets' aren't arterials. The extended sidewalks for patio dining are on arterials. They're different initiatives to respond to the same circumstances.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:

Wait a month when it's released in full and it'll make sense or watch the public hearing on it for details.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, they'll be mad, just like the businesses along Dunsmuir were. Until they realize, just like the downtown businesses did, that their bottom line improves.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:33 PM

Downtown Public Strategy being voted on June 9. The work around this seemed long and surface level to me as it was started 3 years ago, but with COVID it has taken on a new robust context.

Also temporary patio applications that would go on the ROW either parking or sidewalks has seen lots of demand. Expect to see a good chunk of parking spots turning into patios by demand of the local businesses.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 4:27 PM

2020 June 8

UBC Wesbrook Mall Upgrades.
Phase 2

Untitled by Lexus, on Flickr

Phase 1 intersection completed last fall 2019 at Wesbrook Mall and University Blvd.

Phase 2. Progress on NB bike lane.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 9:57 AM

Walked past the Smithe & Richards intersection.

I could see the City marking 2 very narrow lanes through there.

Pics by me Sat, June 13th:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 12:19 AM

Those curbs are for planters, not trees.

Lots more pics at the story.

New bike lane on Richards Street in downtown begins to take shape
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/rich...ruction-photos

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Those curbs are for planters, not trees.

Lots more pics at the story.

New bike lane on Richards Street in downtown begins to take shape

ahh they have learned. those things kept moving all over the place with the curbs. though trees would have been nicer.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:51 AM

In a related note (and I didn't want to start a thread just for this): Vancouver councillor wants shared e-scooter pilot running by fall

Quote:
A Vancouver city councillor is hoping to get a shared e-scooter pilot project up and running by the fall.

Coun. Sarah Kirby-Yung will bring the idea to council on Tuesday, arguing the devices can help people get around safely amid COIVD-19, while supporting the idea of “slow zones” on residential streets.

“Our world has changed with the pandemic,” she told CKNW’s The Jill Bennett Show.

“We know that people are more likely to get back in their cars, and we want to avoid that. We know people are nervous about getting on transit.”

Shared e-scooters have become popular transportation options in a number of cities around North America in recent years, and were named an essential service in Ontario and Montreal during the pandemic.

However, there have been complaints associated with e-scooters — particularly around safety, and people improperly parking them on roads or sidewalks.

Kirby-Yung said because Vancouver would be several years behind cities that adopted the technology early, it can learn from their lessons.

“One of the concerns that came up around scooters being littered in different areas is new strategies like parking corrals, where they’re parked in designated areas,” she said.

She added that the company operating the scooters can also install speed limiters on the devices, to help address safety concerns.

She’s proposing that use of the scooters also be limited to protected bike lanes and streets with a 30 kilometre-per-hour speed limit.

“I think there’s a lot more experiences now to point to, that can address a lot of those issues.”

Kirby-Yung said if the city moved forward with the pilot, it would seek out a private company to bid on the project, which would then be responsible for paying licences and fees to the city to operate.

The proposal goes to council Tuesday.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:40 AM

With all these good ideas going around, I sense a re-election in Kirby-Yung's near future.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
With all these good ideas going around, I sense a re-election in Kirby-Yung's near future.
She's probably the councillor I support the most. She has a good head on her shoulders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure