Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123
I wonder how much of this has to do with these chains or generic products being new and exciting in Peterborough vs. old hat in Toronto.
In Atlantic Canada there tends to be a fairly vibrant scene of local businesses and regional chains, but every so often some new chain store opens up there years or decades after other places and temporarily becomes popular (e.g. IKEA, Lululemon, Urban Outfitters). I think the saddest one is people in Atlantic Canada who talk about one day trying an exotic chain called Denny's. 
|
Hipster Duck's post wounded my soul. I'm so fearful of that happening here, especially given there are hints of it already. St. John's still has a young, professional population by Canadian standards - but the province as a whole, where the vast majority of growth in St. John's comes from, is the oldest in the country, and growing older faster than anywhere else as young people leave for other provinces.
Especially now with so many businesses closed... there's a stillness, an overwhelming provincialism, that really... St. John's really has been consistently better than that, since ever. You can find middle-aged women here now who talk about buying Lululemon in Halifax the way my Mom talks about shows she's seen on Broadway. You can find people who would start a protest to get Taco Bell here. It's... hopefully fringe and not a chilling foreshadowing of what this place is becoming.
I'm GONE if it goes to 🞵🞵🞵🞵. Living in St. John's is a sacrifice. It's so small, so isolated, so expensive to leave. But it's 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 cool, especially if you're a Newfoundlander and reflected in everything around you. Without that... there's no reason to be here. I'll never understand why anyone lives in a suburban McMansion here. Ever. I don't get it. You might as well be in Markham and have access to TO's greater amenities.