HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:51 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It's been interesting to observe that some immigrants of color on this forum (I can name a few) have been quite unsympathetic to the issues raised by African-Americans, displaying a general "we're colored too but don't wallow in self-pity and wait on reparation handouts, we get to work and build our futures" attitude.

I wonder if the blacks I'm most intimate with (successful and hardworking businessmen who immigrated to Quebec not that long ago) would think like that too. I would guess so...

And it's natural too - I feel WAY less sympathy for a Québécois Bougon / lazy parasitic welfare abuser despite them being my fellow man culturally than I would for a brand new immigrant who's totally foreign to me in culture and habits and looks but who's smart and shares my work ethic.
I think this is a real effect. I don't believe there truly is a unified "people of colour" lobby group. I don't think immigrants are generally aligned with BLM-style activists or First Nations. This spells trouble for First Nations issues in the long run.

One of the ironies is that a stereotyping "old stock" white Canadian may be more receptive to claims based on historical wrongs than somebody who immigrated to Canada 5 years ago.

However I don't think it's accurate or helpful to view groups like those living in reserves, in public housing, or in isolated predominantly black towns or villages as bums. I think there are legitimate social welfare problems that likely do require government involvement to solve. And it is not fair or sensible to compare the outcomes of immigrants selected by a points system to minority communities in Canada.
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.