Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
As a boy who grew up watching the Duke of Hazard the confederate flag had no special meaning to me.
I have not watched an episode in years. The impression I was left with was:
- Farm family with little money, tries to make ends meet by making moonshine.
- Farm kids like fast cars and are ok with getting into fist fights from time to time.
- Small town corrupt and incompetent police force are controlled by the rich business man in town.
- No one trusts the police force.
Mix those factors together and stir, each week you have a new episode that involves a few car chases on back country dirt roads, some escapes from the local police and the and scheme the big rich guy has to become richer.
.
|
I think we may be pretty much making the same point.
As a kid I only vaguely associated the flag on the top of the General Lee with the Confederacy and only had a vague notion of what that meant. It was mostly just a neat symbol of a show and characters that I liked. I never would have associated it with the oppression of black people and even as a youngster would have been horrified at the thought.
Kinda like some years ago when as a fully grown man I was wearing an Ecko Unld. (dress) shirt and this guy I worked asked me why I was wearing gangsta gear. I was totally unaware of the association.
Getting back to the Confederate flag on the General Lee, while my world-view and knowledge base have gotten more sophisticated since I was just a kid, it's totally within the realm of possibility that less evolved guys my age in Collingwood, Ontario or Wagga Wagga, NSW are still blissfully unaware of its symbolic meaning, and that for them it still only evokes Bo and Luke Duke flying over a river in a red car yelling "yee haw!" and of course Daisy in those nice shorts.