Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
^ Cool Montreal shots as always.
Re: Montreal being landlocked. Montreal, and by extension all the Great Lakes cities really have a maritime component/connection to them. Any city with active ports whether they are miles for from the ocean or not have that. Ottawa certainly doesn't, but when I've seen ocean liners docking at Montreal or big Lakers hauling cargo through the Great lakes, I see cities with a larger connection to the water then an Ottawa or any city that may have a river(s), but just pleasure or fishing boats milling around. I don't think distance from the ocean really has anything to do with it either. It's apparent and more amplified when you see cities with active trade ports. The notion that Montreal was landlocked was ignorant to begin with. I recall that post, and I scrolled by it. Now as a thought experiment, I wonder how different Winnipeg would of been if the Northern shores of Lake Superior had reached it? It would of been a hybrid Prairie and Great Lakes city with a port and maritime component perhaps?
|
Maybe Winnipeg would have been Thunder Bay?
Given the teaching of Canadian history, it really surprises me when people born in Canada would not be aware that Montreal is exactly where it is because it was the farthest upstream that ocean-going vessels could travel, due to the Lachine rapids. The canal that bypasses the rapids was not a reality until centuries after the founding of Montreal (May 17, 1642); and which the opening of further spurred the development of the city, as a transshipment centre. Montreal was destined to become a big city on that basis alone. No understanding of Canadian history is complete without a heavy focus on the settlement and development of, and power struggles over, lower Canada.
Montreal was a can-do city as far back as the early 1800s.