HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


View Poll Results: Would you vote for a ETS Rapid Transit masterplan scheme?
Yes, I'd vote for more BRT/LRT 301 82.92%
No, what we have is fine. 34 9.37%
I dunno, maybe, yes, no, whatever. 28 7.71%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9421  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:08 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
     
     
  #9422  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:21 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9423  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:33 PM
Harrison's Avatar
Harrison Harrison is offline
A Better Place
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
You got it.
__________________
Bingo bango bongo
     
     
  #9424  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:58 AM
Slide Slide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 264
I figured this project could be quite interesting. However after going through the document, I'm confused on why someone would build this.

Travel times are 2 minutes faster than the bus, but with an unknown ticket price at this time (certainly more than a bus); so I'm not certain this is something commuters would use.

I'm not convinced by its appeal as a tourist attraction, 12 minutes seems short for that, some nice valley views I guess? Afterall, a funicular is also a tourist attraction in some cities (such as Quebec City) and I don't know how much of a tourist attraction ours is. On top of that is seems like a variation of a very similarly routed attraction: the high level street car.

"End of Steel Park Station" and "Rossdale North Station" seem unnecessary and take away from the Gondola appeal of being suspended in the sky. The drawings show the gondola going up from Whyte Avenue then almost immediately descending again for End of Steel park.
The journey would be far more appealing to be suspended 35 meters in the sky at the top of the valley embankment at arguably the most attractive view of the ride instead of descended at a station.

All in all I give the project a 'meh'
     
     
  #9425  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:04 AM
Hardhatdan Hardhatdan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
I figured this project could be quite interesting. However after going through the document, I'm confused on why someone would build this.

Travel times are 2 minutes faster than the bus, but with an unknown ticket price at this time (certainly more than a bus); so I'm not certain this is something commuters would use.

I'm not convinced by its appeal as a tourist attraction, 12 minutes seems short for that, some nice valley views I guess? Afterall, a funicular is also a tourist attraction in some cities (such as Quebec City) and I don't know how much of a tourist attraction ours is. On top of that is seems like a variation of a very similarly routed attraction: the high level street car.

"End of Steel Park Station" and "Rossdale North Station" seem unnecessary and take away from the Gondola appeal of being suspended in the sky. The drawings show the gondola going up from Whyte Avenue then almost immediately descending again for End of Steel park.
The journey would be far more appealing to be suspended 35 meters in the sky at the top of the valley embankment at arguably the most attractive view of the ride instead of descended at a station.

All in all I give the project a 'meh'
You want 35+m towers and to skip interconnecting the rossdale flats with top of bank on with side?
We could not be less on the same page for the usefulness of this.
     
     
  #9426  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:04 PM
Slide Slide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
You want 35+m towers and to skip interconnecting the rossdale flats with top of bank on with side?
We could not be less on the same page for the usefulness of this.
It's not that "I want 35+m towers"; the towers shown in the drawings on page 38 after Whyte Ave are 30m tall, in fact the towers between Rossdale and Downtown are shown at 76m.

And I specifically said the North Rossdale station, not the Rossdale Flats (shown as power plant).

I don't mind that you disagree with me, but you are disagreeing about two things I never said. Please look at the document and read what I said again.
     
     
  #9427  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:44 PM
B.ike's Avatar
B.ike B.ike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 308
Very similar to the line I slapped on a map 4 years ago:


Time savings from Whyte to downtown isn't much...but it would be more reliable and consistent. I've made the mistake of trying to get to downtown once from Whyte via bus...30 minute odyssey.

What's also key is the connection to Rossdale - currently from Whyte or downtown, it involves a lengthy walk to get to rossdale. If the plans and development come to fruition for that area, this would be a great connector imo.
     
     
  #9428  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:05 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
This is all about the bigger picture folks.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9429  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:22 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
I'm personally still not sold. I'd much rather spend that kind of dough upgrading the High Level Streetcar to a full time service, even if it had to use weight restrictions to cross the bridge in the meantime, although this would link key tourist areas with an all-in-one service.
     
     
  #9430  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:03 PM
s4.audios's Avatar
s4.audios s4.audios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,320
Yes bigger picture, it is evident they are thinking long term usefulness on this. Trying to hit daily commuter and tourist attraction in one go. I don't care for the two added stops but might as well get it right from the start.

That North Rossdale stop though really is awkward. If not axed, it needs a better location.
     
     
  #9431  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:12 PM
Hardhatdan Hardhatdan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,328
I like it.
I always felt like Edmonton's river valley was the crown jewel, but also a major obstacle.

I think the funicular is way more successful than I anticipated, and that makes me think about this a lot more.
Having more of these forms of transport across the valley, ones that eases getting from top of bank to top of bank, would be great if someone thinks they can do it privately.

More street car, more funiculars (they don't have to be even so fancy), a gondola would really help tie the two urban centers of the city together IMO.

Hopefully one day some of these forms could even spread out further from the core. The hills in and out can be fun, but they are challenging, you are working to get up and down.
     
     
  #9432  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:15 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
I'm personally still not sold. I'd much rather spend that kind of dough upgrading the High Level Streetcar to a full time service, even if it had to use weight restrictions to cross the bridge in the meantime, although this would link key tourist areas with an all-in-one service.
Pair this with an upgraded High Level and High Level Line with a historic car, a new siding, a bridge to link 2 year-round cars to MacEwan/112st WLRT and call it a day.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9433  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:54 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,855
Running west along the valley to Hareluk, the zoo and Fort Edmonton. May also get commuters on it.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9434  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:53 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Pair this with an upgraded High Level and High Level Line with a historic car, a new siding, a bridge to link 2 year-round cars to MacEwan/112st WLRT and call it a day.
High Level is due for an upgrade/refurb, no?
     
     
  #9435  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:15 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
^indeed and soon... but replacement or refurb or?
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9436  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:20 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^indeed and soon... but replacement or refurb or?
Hopefully city admin and city council are preparing in the backrooms of city hall for this project.
     
     
  #9437  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:24 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,855
It will be refurbished not replaced.

Who knows they made get federal money for it. Its now a historic feature. definitely nothing from the GOA
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #9438  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 11:27 PM
_Citizen_Dane_'s Avatar
_Citizen_Dane_ _Citizen_Dane_ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
High Level is due for an upgrade/refurb, no?
In 2023 according to this Journal article;
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/how-does-edmonton-decide-which-bridges-need-upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
It will be refurbished not replaced.

Who knows they made get federal money for it. Its now a historic feature. definitely nothing from the GOA
And thats the big thing. The High Level was designated a Municipal Historic Resource in September 1995. Now, I'm not privy to the exact conditions of its designation, but every time a building is designated a MHR, its quite literally written into bylaw that it can't be demolished. Now obviously there are different structural and safety requirements for bridges than there are for buildings and there will probably have to be changes made to keep it safe — and who knows, that may very-well might have been a stipulation written into its designation — but that protection's something that has to be taken into consideration.

If the City were to replace it completely they'd have to void the MHR status to do so. It's worth noting, that's only ever been done once, and it with the Gem Theatre. If the City were to do that it basically nullifies the whole program and the legal protection that's enshrined within it for historic sites, opening the floodgates for any private landowners to do the same.
     
     
  #9439  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 8:58 AM
adam-machiavelli adam-machiavelli is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,246
Another pro for this gondola is it provides a direct downtown connection to a future intercity rail station hypothetically located in Old Strathcona, without the need to build a new rail line across the river valley.
     
     
  #9440  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:05 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
Very similar to the line I slapped on a map 4 years ago:


Time savings from Whyte to downtown isn't much...but it would be more reliable and consistent. I've made the mistake of trying to get to downtown once from Whyte via bus...30 minute odyssey.

What's also key is the connection to Rossdale - currently from Whyte or downtown, it involves a lengthy walk to get to rossdale. If the plans and development come to fruition for that area, this would be a great connector imo.
more reliable except when its windy... Gondolas generally are shut down in moderate to strong winds.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.