Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal
I understand Vin's rhetorical point (who couldn't after he has pursued it 5618 times like its the oxygen to his life . . . Vin, you're boring everybody. Find something new to think about.) Regardless, there is a lot of construction/growth in CoV. A lot. It is densifying all over the place in very interesting ways. There is plenty going up downtown and the next ring off of the peninsula, and along virtually all outlying (relative) corridors. It's childish to think Vancouver will not always be the centre of the Metro universe. Someday, even the desires (of all our inner childs) for taller towers, will be satisfied. Nothing remains forever, including Vancouver's restrictions and attitudes.
|
Obviously I'm not boring you if you are inspired to write the above novel. Don't get me wrong, I love downtown, although I hate how various policies restrict its development and potential. As for anywhere outside downtown: to each his own. You may find the various low-rise infill developments interesting, but to me they are just dead boring and uninspiring, with minimal densification that is far below what we need to house people, as well as the provision of amenities and facilities. To me we are simply creating the next generation of "Vancouver specials" all over this city's residential neighbourhoods.
Tell you what I find interesting: anywhere around the boundaries of CoV, Metrotown, Brentwood, City of North Van, New Westminster, Surrey Central, Coquitlam Central, UBC area and Richmond are getting way more interesting developments in those places. Within Vancouver, Marine Gateway is very nice, but our "think small" City policies are again restricting its potential for growth. The new proposal for Commercial/Broadway area is also quite inspiring, but I have a nagging feeling that it would be watered down due to local protests.