Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoob
I'm curious how you think this is an effect of existing zoning and what changes you think would help. I wonder if we may have some similar ideas on the topic, but I don't follow your connection in this case. I'd be happy to learn from your insight and significant experience observing the city development process.
|
I would say part of the problem is that zoning often limits multi-family housing to sites that already offer it. That means even with the Tenant Replacement and Protection Plan, there's no other option to create new housing than to displace the old stock. That's true whether it's rental or strata.
Plus, without the right incentives, many will choose to go through a quicker Development Permit process rather than risk the time/funds to attempt a rezoning, especially in area's known to be hostile to growth. This also usually results in builds that are targeted to a more high end market.
Ironically, much of the opposition comes from those afraid that they won't be allowed to do something similar with their property. Even allowing an update to allow long term homeowners in these areas to offer something like Mole Hill could lessen that fear.
Then again, it's the holidays so I might be way off track