HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8581  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:51 AM
Bokimon's Avatar
Bokimon Bokimon is offline
Master and Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CALGARY
Posts: 1,887
^ On a per capita basis, that is actually pretty damn impressive for a city of its size and its current economic climate. I guess there are still plenty of wealthy people or business activity between these destinations even if a chunk of them are connections onwards or connections from other origins transiting via YYC. Which was like what, 1/3 of all traffic from that stat a few months ago..
__________________
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram &
Bokimon- on Flickr for SSP local & Travel coverage.
Architecture, Aviation, Scenery, Skylines
     
     
  #8582  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:16 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post
^ On a per capita basis, that is actually pretty damn impressive for a city of its size and its current economic climate. I guess there are still plenty of wealthy people or business activity between these destinations even if a chunk of them are connections onwards or connections from other origins transiting via YYC. Which was like what, 1/3 of all traffic from that stat a few months ago..
Go ahead and say it: "Thanks, Edmonton."
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #8583  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:36 AM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Go ahead and say it: "Thanks, Edmonton."
Ha that's what I was gonna say.
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #8584  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 5:44 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
WS building its first flagship lounge, set to open in late summer 2020

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10-03-WestJets-flagship-lounge-in-Calgary-a-home-within-our-home
     
     
  #8585  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 3:40 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,632
That can’t be the old upper floor lounge can it? New filing space freed up in the renovation I’d guess.
     
     
  #8586  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:14 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
That can’t be the old upper floor lounge can it? New filing space freed up in the renovation I’d guess.
It's going where the old Montana's restaurant use to be.
     
     
  #8587  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:42 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
It's going where the old Montana's restaurant use to be.
Montana’s is gone?!?! Is Kelsey’s the only pre security sit down restaurant now? I imagine that whole pre security retail area is going to be a ghost town soon, and perhaps integrated into post security something or other?
     
     
  #8588  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 5:24 PM
Mazrim's Avatar
Mazrim Mazrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I imagine that whole pre security retail area is going to be a ghost town soon, and perhaps integrated into post security something or other?
It's already a ghost town. With all the ominous reminders you get before a flight about showing up super early, it's no surprise that pre-security shopping and dining is not worth the hassle for most people.
     
     
  #8589  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 9:00 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It's already a ghost town. With all the ominous reminders you get before a flight about showing up super early, it's no surprise that pre-security shopping and dining is not worth the hassle for most people.
I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back, that YYC has plans to convert all of that pre security retail/dining space between A and C concourses into a centralized security checkpoint à la YEG, and post security retail and dining. Is that still a go, and if so, is there a completion timeline?
     
     
  #8590  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 9:23 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back, that YYC has plans to convert all of that pre security retail/dining space between A and C concourses into a centralized security checkpoint à la YEG, and post security retail and dining. Is that still a go, and if so, is there a completion timeline?
This is still the plan, and it will begin work following the completion of the baggage upgrade and Westjet moves its check in back to its original spot. Not sure if there's a planned finish on that yet though.
     
     
  #8591  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 6:27 AM
Bokimon's Avatar
Bokimon Bokimon is offline
Master and Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CALGARY
Posts: 1,887
Makes me wonder with the deathly hollow walk that is the pre-security shopping and dining in that area. My how far that area had fallen since its heyday in the early 2000's. Is this trend just a YYC thing? How are other airports for presecurity amenities?
The pre-security retail area between the A/B pier where Kelseys is seem to be doing okay unless some shops there had closed..
As for the IFP, one Tim Hortons and a baggage store behind the AC checkin. Sad...

I recall YVR and PDX have bustling pre security amenities, it feels like being in a shopping mall with all that activity where thousands of people are gathered about browsing, eating or lounging before going to security checkpoints. And then after security it is just as busy along their boulevard walk down the various piers. PDX even have live local musicians performing where at times it gathers a crowd, much like a little plaza in downtown. Why doesn't YYC go further beyond their late boomer white hat greeters?
If I hadn't traveled so much in my life, I would of vehemently defended YYC's new terminal as a crowning jewel of design and functionality, thank god I know better..
__________________
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram &
Bokimon- on Flickr for SSP local & Travel coverage.
Architecture, Aviation, Scenery, Skylines
     
     
  #8592  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:23 PM
msmariner msmariner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 522
Question

[QUOTE=Bokimon;8708585]Makes me wonder with the deathly hollow walk that is the pre-security shopping and dining in that area. My how far that area had fallen since its heyday in the early 2000's. Is this trend just a YYC thing? How are other airports for presecurity amenities?
The pre-security retail area between the A/B pier where Kelseys is seem to be doing okay unless some shops there had closed..
As for the IFP, one Tim Hortons and a baggage store behind the AC checkin. Sad...

I recall YVR and PDX have bustling pre security amenities, it feels like being in a shopping mall with all that activity where thousands of people are gathered about browsing, eating or lounging before going to security checkpoints. And then after security it is just as busy along their boulevard walk down the various piers. PDX even have live local musicians performing where at times it gathers a crowd, much like a little plaza in downtown. Why doesn't YYC go further beyond their late boomer white hat greeters?
If I hadn't traveled so much in my life, I would of vehemently defended YYC's new terminal as a crowning jewel of design and functionality, thank god I know better..[/QUOT

One of the biggest reasons I can see for less pre screening shops is the no free 1/2 hour parking. I know I personally haven’t picked one person up or stayed with anyone before their flight since the new policy. I didn’t mind going for a drink or food when I knew I didn’t have to pay some ridiculous parking fee to go in for an hour. Maybe the airport doesn’t care about people like me or the businesses before security and the extra money they get from parking makes up for the businesses closing down and their revenue loss.
     
     
  #8593  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 6:25 PM
outoftheice outoftheice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
One of the biggest reasons I can see for less pre screening shops is the no free 1/2 hour parking. I know I personally haven’t picked one person up or stayed with anyone before their flight since the new policy. I didn’t mind going for a drink or food when I knew I didn’t have to pay some ridiculous parking fee to go in for an hour. Maybe the airport doesn’t care about people like me or the businesses before security and the extra money they get from parking makes up for the businesses closing down and their revenue loss.
+1 on this. The loss of the 1/2 free parking changed the behaviour of pretty much everyone I know when it comes to airport pick-ups and, to a lesser extent, drop-offs. The irony now is that the 'go early and wait' behaviour hasn't changed but now the free cell phone lot is full of idling vehicles with drivers killing time on their phones instead of those cars parked in the parkade with the drivers in the terminal. Bad for the environment (assuming the CAA is one of those corporations that pretends to care) and bad for airport merchants. On top of it, the airport has had to staff far more curbside ambassadors to deal with the extremely chaotic and congested curbside pick up that exists in peak periods so the new system probably creates an even greater expense for the airport authority than the old free parking initiative while also negatively impacting the customer experience for pick-ups.

Another contributing factor is that the CAA originally planned 2 more high-rise office towers to accompany the existing one with pre-security shops and services meant to serve the folks working in those towers. Difficulties leasing the existing tower means the expansion is officially dead (I think) which means there isn't as much of a need for having amenities available before security.
     
     
  #8594  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 6:58 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post
PDX even have live local musicians performing where at times it gathers a crowd, much like a little plaza in downtown.
Minneapolis does a good job on that front too.

Aside: I was also surprised how much traffic goes through there.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #8595  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 11:45 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
+1 on this. The loss of the 1/2 free parking changed the behaviour of pretty much everyone I know when it comes to airport pick-ups and, to a lesser extent, drop-offs. The irony now is that the 'go early and wait' behaviour hasn't changed but now the free cell phone lot is full of idling vehicles with drivers killing time on their phones instead of those cars parked in the parkade with the drivers in the terminal. Bad for the environment (assuming the CAA is one of those corporations that pretends to care) and bad for airport merchants. On top of it, the airport has had to staff far more curbside ambassadors to deal with the extremely chaotic and congested curbside pick up that exists in peak periods so the new system probably creates an even greater expense for the airport authority than the old free parking initiative while also negatively impacting the customer experience for pick-ups.

Another contributing factor is that the CAA originally planned 2 more high-rise office towers to accompany the existing one with pre-security shops and services meant to serve the folks working in those towers. Difficulties leasing the existing tower means the expansion is officially dead (I think) which means there isn't as much of a need for having amenities available before security.
I am totally against idling vehicles, but having said that the cell phone lot is now too small and there’s cars parked all over the place, on shoulders, in no parking zones, etc because of the lack of parking. The decision of the CAA to eliminate the free half hour parking has snowballed into a huge mess! Wonder if heads will roll (have rolled) over that decision.
     
     
  #8596  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:22 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,632
^ That would have been a board level decision I bet, taken when designing the circulation to the international terminal. Probably the same person that insisted on the tunnel across at one end of the parkade instead of in the middle helped convince the board.
     
     
  #8597  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:31 PM
outoftheice outoftheice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 914
That tunnel is my trigger when it comes to the new international terminal. What a waste of money to build and maintain it. Thankfully they have now put in crosswalks to accommodate all the staff that were jaywalking across the road there anyways but on a regular basis I still see seniors and people with mobility issues desperately trying to push big, heavy suitcases up that long ramp only to get to the top and realize they still have a long distance to walk to find an elevator that will take them up to departures where they then have to backtrack to the check-in desks. The absolute biggest design fail I have seen in an airport and the CAA still can't be bothered to put in the simple signage fix of directing people in the P2 parkade to the +15 for all departures and the tunnel only for arrivals.
     
     
  #8598  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 8:44 PM
YYCspotter YYCspotter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 286
As mentioned in the YVR thread, it appears AC has canceled the 2nd daily YVR-LHR flight for S20. This will free up a 788... hopefully for YYC-NRT.
     
     
  #8599  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:08 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCspotter View Post
As mentioned in the YVR thread, it appears AC has canceled the 2nd daily YVR-LHR flight for S20. This will free up a 788... hopefully for YYC-NRT.
I hope so, but guessing it's going to YVR-SIN.
     
     
  #8600  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:25 PM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I hope so, but guessing it's going to YVR-SIN.
TBH I doubt that is happening. There is a lot of shuffling going on right now for Summer 2020 so plenty of changes still to come.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:02 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.