Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW
This decision has 'spooked' many in the industry as it shows that Council can move the goal posts when there is a large, organized and vocal opposition from the community. This sets a very bad precedent for anyone else looking to rezone sites adjacent or near an LRT station. TOD Guidelines be damned. So much for wanting to get a return on our investment in LRT. Unreal really.
|
I do not think the industry really should be spooked because of this one.
Personally, I liked the development and I think it would have been great. That being said, I am not at all bothered that it was turned down.
Glenora is a very special place in this city. Part of it is or was protected by special caveats to not allow commercial development and as a result of that we have a very beautiful historical neighborhood. Not sure if this part of Glenora where the project was to be located fell within the caveat area but I suspect not.
The LRT having a stop in Glenora seems logical because the distance from 124 street to 142 street is very long and it makes sense. However, it will probably be the least used stop in the city. I ride the bus along both 102 avenue and Stony Plain Road and it seems that we rarely, if ever, pick up anyone along that section of the route. Plain and simple, Glenora residents generally do not take public transit. Yes, the odd person does I am sure and on Saturdays during the late mornings I have seen little old ladies get on to go downtown but usually after Crescent Place heading east to downtown, that portion of the ride to 124 street ends up being express.
The introduction of the LRT through Glenora is going to be bad enough with the loss of heritage trees (hopefully minimal) and hopefully blasting the LRT through this neighborhood won't take away from the character that is currently has. Adding commercial in this one particular location just might have been too much.
If the commercial development was to be anywhere else, I might question the city's whole transit oriented development philosophy. However, the uniqueness of this area should be taken into consideration and maybe this was the right decision.
I still would have liked to see it.