Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern
Wrong as usual. The city requires new buildings to have some art, not a multimillion dollar light display.
|
The city requirement is a percentage of the construction, just like how the Bow has two Plensa pieces totaling several hundreds of thousands, one being on a monumental scale. The rule applies whether it is a government project or private project - it is the same bylaw that results in the art. Glad most people seem to like this one - and thanks to the city for ensuring this type of thing happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger
Are you sure the City required them to do this?
I'm not against public art, especially when it's privately paid for. This light display will add a lot to the city. I wouldn't mind seeing more buildings with such displays.
|
Not the specific implementation, but having art is an absolute requirement by the city - and there is a process to ensure it happens.
I agree with you regarding light displays, but I don't want them to be advertisements or marketing as was suggested earlier. That's a gray zone in my mind.
The biggest disappointment with lighting was the Bow.