Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13
Sorry drew, but why so underwhelmed? I mean, the purpose of the building isn't to build a skyline, that's a byproduct... at 19 stories, it's still quality density at a good height downtown.
I'd prefer a surface lot, but this greatly improves what was there. Nor can you fault Wawanesa for wanting to be near the action rather than a surface lot, which I'm sure was proposed by other developers.
|
It's a nice building to be sure - but it will just blend in to the surroundings where it is going. Permanently overshawdowed by the taller Hydro to the north, and the equally tall and more curvy TNS buildings to the east.
I dunno, I guess to me it is frustrating that this building will house a company whose current building stands right next to a giant surface lot, on what is probably (long term) a more important address and area of downtown. It just seems crazy to me that in order to develop here, you need to knock over something first. No one is (mostly) ever to just build on an empty lot.
To me, Wawanessa gets a way bigger bang for it's impact buck (visually) going with this same building at Main and Broadway. The City would be better for it too.
Now we keep the same empty lot at Main and Broadway, and just add to the pain with a less than attractive (soon to be) empty building.
I guess on one hand I am "yay - bright shiny toy!" and on the other hand kinda depressed with the goings on in the downtown development.