Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg
As with all public policy, voters, the community. I would expect someone only recently belittling another person and implying they are inexperienced, would understand this.
Not in a liberal democracy and mixed economy is the consumer the sole decider of how our society grows. Again, we don't live in a free world as you are fantasizing about. And again, you should know this. I would prefer to not let developers, those with money and short-term profit motivations solely determine how our city grows.
I always knew you were the lowest common denominator type person who lacks any high expectations or vision for themselves and those around them. I am glad our city is not run by people like you. We already do much better than our neighbour to the north when it comes to controlling sprawl and I hope we continue to be our best selves.
A smart person like you presume to be should realize its the same things you are championing that causes our inner urban area to deteriorate. I really don't know why I discuss anything with someone who is clearly not debating in good faith. Did you not see the recent discussion on the problems with our public transit? The traffic congestion on Arcola? How about the lack of people downtown? Urban sprawl, unfettered growth and the free market, does not solve these issues.
|
Ironically, you contradict yourself all over the place with this post.
While it's of paramount importance to increase our population density and develop our infill, sustainable communities are fueled by families. Quite frankly, families, and not only in Regina but across the Euro/Western world, want to live in homes with yards, parks and schools nearby.
Regina's new neighbourhoods do a pretty decent job using space effectively considering we could develop for hundreds of kilometers in every direction. In fact, neighbourhoods like the Greens and Harbour Landing are far more densely populated than neighbourhoods like Old Lakeview, Douglas Park and Whitmore Park.
While Regina is certainly far from perfect, if you compare our footprint to similar North American cities like Fargo, Billings, Boise, Lincoln NE, we are much better off in terms of density and sprawl.