https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-Proje...YC3DByT40OxMt6hnoYjLJ-ekHGMaAqHgEALw_wcB
I went to the Translink open house for the new #80 route and was able to get some additional information not available online...
Because it's part of the next phase of transit improvements, they expect it to be implemented in 2020 or 2021. But because it will be mostly using existing infrastructure from the #100, it will likely be on the sooner end.
It will start at 30 minute frequencies only in peak hours but they will be monitoring ridership closely to see when service should be expanded. Given the number of units coming online in the River District in the next few years I can't imagine that would take too long.
Stop locations haven't yet been finalized. My guess: Main, Fraser, Knight, Victoria, Elliott, and Kerr, and then an unknown number of stops in the River District.
They are also investigating multiple other bus routes to connect to the River District, but are not yet far enough along in the process to share them.
- One route will connect the River District to Metrotown. They weren't sure which route it would take to get up the hill. It would also be a separate route from the 80, not a continuation, though I could see value in that.
- One route will connect the River District to an Expo Line station in Vancouver, and either be a continuation of an existing route, or partially double an existing route, like the #80 will. The person I spoke with wasn't too familiar with the ideas, but thought a route that doubled the #29 but continued all the way down Elliott and on to the River District had been discussed. I suggested a continuation of the #29 down Fraserview, Victoria, and on to Marine as an alternative.
- They have also heard interest in connecting the River District to the Big Bend Crossing shopping area. But that's all I heard about that.
- Also, a diversion of the #116 into the River District, though a possibility, would negatively affect commute times for those travelling from Metrotown to Big Bend, so is less likely.