"I don't think the airport authority really cares" Couldn't have said it better myself.
The retail scene there is a wasteland, just pathetic and I feel for the sorry suckers who works up at Spaceport.. The overall public experience is that of dread and misfortune, almost a literal symbolic representation to the plight of Calgary's economy due to the recession and all the job losses... Or is it?
Even Eau Claire market has more life than this place lol and that is slated to be torn down in another year or so.
Alot of these including the International Terminal Expansion decision making from the very top, was it really the CEO or the board of directors pulling all the strings? Do guys like CSEC President Ken King for instance have a huge influence in the way this airport is to operate and what projects is to proceed as well as design decisions to over rule that of an architect.
The current CEO if I recall had a strong retail background, surely this current state must be most bothersome and I wonder if his hands are tied up with all sorts of other matters including the will of the director boards. From my observation seeing them at the AGM and hearing them speak, they just look like a bunch of rich oil guys, Sports guy and philanthropists running this airport like a side gig to take in as much money from the public as possible, including the rip off short term parking pay structure. I know that all too well first hand..
I was a sucker and parked short term parking from 930am till 12:15pm and paid $44 dollars on the way out 2 weeks ago..
ABSOLUTELY CRIMINAL! I think Downtown parking is less than that..
WIth the future renovations slated, that from my understanding is only for the check in area for the old AC and US transborder desks?
They speak of grandeur with making it a destination or hub of sorts for the traveling public but without any decent amenities, YYC is plugging this with the same kind of delusional grandeur of A380s and new airlines pouring in like a few years ago when they were building the ripoff IFP.
__________________
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram &
Bokimon- on Flickr for SSP local & Travel coverage.
Architecture, Aviation, Scenery, Skylines
|