HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8901  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:07 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
People need to understand that peopoe always leave cities to other ones. IF the net loss is smaller then then the net gain, notning to worry about.
People do leave cities for other ones, it's a normal thing to do. Even people who grow up in Calgary move to other places. The difference with Winnipeg is that it tends to be much more of a one-way street... the number of outgoing younger people outpaces the number of people coming in.

I think the ideas raised in the WFP column are a good one. Winnipeg can't really beat the biggest Canadian cities when it comes to job opportunities, but it can offer a pretty good lifestyle. Providing an urban environment that appeals to younger generations is part of that.

We already altered the city once before to suit the tastes of the boomer generation, so it's really about altering it differently to suit the tastes of a different, newer generation.
     
     
  #8902  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:10 PM
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It depends on one's situation. Climate was a big one for me, as was taxes and crime.
Unless you live in one of the worst areas of Winnipeg (Jigland, Central, the Inner part of the North End), crime is not really that much different than anywhere else in Western Canada. Random crimes are rare. It's people's perception of crime that is overblown. Other cities, like Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Saskatoon, Regina, and even some parts of Lower Mainland BC are just as bad.

I lived in Winnipeg for 3/4 of my life, and was never once randomly attacked, although in some situations, I did feel unsafe.
     
     
  #8903  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:12 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Unless you live in one of the worst areas of Winnipeg (Jigland, Central, the Inner part of the North End), crime is not really that much different than anywhere else in Western Canada. Random crimes are rare. It's people's perception of crime that is overblown. Other cities, like Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Saskatoon, Regina, and even some parts of Lower Mainland BC are just as bad.

I lived in Winnipeg for 3/4 of my life, and was never once randomly attacked, although in some situations, I did feel unsafe.
What are “Jigland” and “Central”?
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
     
     
  #8904  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:53 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
You’re taking advantage of the new marijuana laws by smoking too much. Despite the turn in economic conditions here, the number of both small and huge projects u/c and approved is one Winnipeg couldn’t reach in 50 years.

Let’s look at not a larger city, but smaller one like Halifax that is making Winnipeg it’s 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. People moving there, people leaving Winnipeg.

Just bury your head in the sand. That’s worked for the past 40 years LOL.
Jeezus Dorothy. Keep your 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 on, things aren’t so bad.
     
     
  #8905  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:03 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
To be honest it’s easy for a person to grab a point or phenomenon that seems to be weak and less honourable, magnifies it, apply some emotions, and bash it hard to make the whole thing sound terrible. People with this kind of philosophy and conduct are called Sophists, and you know they should not be believed or taken in. They may have valid points but sometimes the way how they say things just make it very unbearable to hear, and possibly their goal is just to keep the other party silent all the time, make them feel hurt and defeated, and unable to reply.

In addition, this is the internet.
Now you’re giving Sophists a bad name. I think in this case you mean Sophuckeds.
     
     
  #8906  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:34 PM
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
What are “Jigland” and “Central”?
Jigland = area around Shaughnessy Park
Central= area around, and to the immediate north of Central Park
     
     
  #8907  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:55 PM
rkspec rkspec is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 773
*JigTown
     
     
  #8908  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:06 PM
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
*JigTown
Nice area to raise a family. Full of classy ladies and interesting Gentlemen.
     
     
  #8909  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:42 PM
Luisito's Avatar
Luisito Luisito is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,899
I have been living in Winnipeg for about a decade. I moved here from MTL and I love Winnipeg.

My only real beef with Winnipeg is its public transportation. It is really terrible.

As far as crime goes, Winnipeg is really not that bad. Like some one said earlier it is really just certain areas. I do think the city does need to do more to clean certain areas up. Areas like Central have a lot of potential and should be developed better. The North end has a lot of potential too. It is so close to downtown.

Should or could those areas be gentrified??
     
     
  #8910  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:21 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ With respect to public transportation, Winnipeg's could be better, for sure. But in our defence, I will say that I haven't encountered too many places in North America with under a million people that have top notch public transportation for any circumstance other than traditional Monday-Friday rush hour commutes.

For whatever reason, we tend to compare ourselves to much bigger cities like Calgary, Vancouver and Minneapolis and beat ourselves up for not having the same transit infrastructure. But in reality, our comparables are more like Hamilton, Halifax and El Paso... none of which have rail based rapid transit.
     
     
  #8911  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:38 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I have been living in Winnipeg for about a decade. I moved here from MTL and I love Winnipeg.

My only real beef with Winnipeg is its public transportation. It is really terrible.

As far as crime goes, Winnipeg is really not that bad. Like some one said earlier it is really just certain areas. I do think the city does need to do more to clean certain areas up. Areas like Central have a lot of potential and should be developed better. The North end has a lot of potential too. It is so close to downtown.

Should or could those areas be gentrified??
Sure I don't see why it wouldn't be possible as land becomes more valuable near downtown. But it's gonna take a while.
__________________
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
Federalist #10, James Madison
     
     
  #8912  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:44 PM
Luisito's Avatar
Luisito Luisito is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ With respect to public transportation, Winnipeg's could be better, for sure. But in our defence, I will say that I haven't encountered too many places in North America with under a million people that have top notch public transportation for any circumstance other than traditional Monday-Friday rush hour commutes.

For whatever reason, we tend to compare ourselves to much bigger cities like Calgary, Vancouver and Minneapolis and beat ourselves up for not having the same transit infrastructure. But in reality, our comparables are more like Hamilton, Halifax and El Paso... none of which have rail based rapid transit.
My complaint about transportation is not just because we don't have an LRT. Though I admit that would be nice. Edmonton was about the same size as Winnipeg when it got its LRT. Ottawa has one too. I believe Hamilton is about to get one. I agree our bus system is more similar to Halifax. Europe has dozens of cities under one million with LRT and Trams.

Last edited by Luisito; Dec 28, 2018 at 8:20 PM.
     
     
  #8913  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:46 PM
asher__jo asher__jo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ With respect to public transportation, Winnipeg's could be better, for sure. But in our defence, I will say that I haven't encountered too many places in North America with under a million people that have top notch public transportation for any circumstance other than traditional Monday-Friday rush hour commutes.

For whatever reason, we tend to compare ourselves to much bigger cities like Calgary, Vancouver and Minneapolis and beat ourselves up for not having the same transit infrastructure. But in reality, our comparables are more like Hamilton, Halifax and El Paso... none of which have rail based rapid transit.
We SHOULD compare ourselves to Calgary, because they planned transit for a million or more people when they were similar to the size Winnipeg is now. And Winnipeg will reach a million in the near future.
     
     
  #8914  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:57 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
We SHOULD compare ourselves to Calgary, because they planned transit for a million or more people when they were similar to the size Winnipeg is now. And Winnipeg will reach a million in the near future.
Circumstances were much different. Alberta in the 70s didn't know what to do with all the money it had... they were a major outlier. We are not burdened with that problem.

I'm not saying things couldn't be better, but it's not realistic to point at decisions made in Calgary circa 1976 and say that we should be making those decisions too, here and now.
     
     
  #8915  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:09 PM
EspionNoir's Avatar
EspionNoir EspionNoir is offline
Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 635
I regret posting that link. All the mess that resulted.
     
     
  #8916  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:12 PM
EspionNoir's Avatar
EspionNoir EspionNoir is offline
Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 635
Anyways. Here's another article I found interesting. I always loved Chicago, but I know this issue is there, always and concerning.

https://chicagoganghistory.com/hoods/the-slums-of-chicago/
     
     
  #8917  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:38 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I have been living in Winnipeg for about a decade. I moved here from MTL and I love Winnipeg.
Wait, what? You mean you moved to the city and actually LIKE it? You mean to tell me there are people who actually like the city from other places they've moved from??? Really????? See, I'm confused because according to some extremely bitter expat forumers here, people like you are just a myth. According to them, people like you don't exist. You are just a figment of our imagination.

Well I'll be damned if the whingers and complainers were wrong all along. Whowouldhavethunkit
     
     
  #8918  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:42 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I regret posting that link. All the mess that resulted.
You shouldn't have to feel any regret. It's good to bring up topics that promote discussions on how to make the city a better place.

The problem is that it brings out the bitter and annoying expat trolls (we have a very vocal minority of them here, unfortunately), who are just itching for an excuse to bash the city, as you have just witnessed.
     
     
  #8919  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 11:19 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
*JigTown
That's the correct name used by WPS and WFPS personnel when talking about that area!
     
     
  #8920  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 11:23 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
We SHOULD compare ourselves to Calgary, because they planned transit for a million or more people when they were similar to the size Winnipeg is now. And Winnipeg will reach a million in the near future.
A million people in Calgary and a million people in Winnipeg aren't exactly the same thing. Think median income and the need for transportation options.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.