Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618
Glad to see fellow skyscraper nerds around here are also railfans.
Did the GG1s use the catenary on the existing high line structure over 25th st?
|
Yes. The Pennsylvania Railroad ran extensive special/charter trains for the Army Navy game directly to the current freight yard on the other side of 95. From the north and west they traversed the High Line past 30th st and crossed the river at Arsenal onto the south philly viaduct. Trains from the south also crossed at Arsenal, obviously they did not traverse the high line.
I'm all for some new/fresh ideas on reinvigorating the Septa network, but I hope everyone realizes all of these ideas are $500+ million projects if not a billions.
I highly doubt Septa's heavy rail will ever run on the rapid network (BSL). I'm sure a few examples of this exist, but I cannot imagine there are many out there. The trains are completely different in turning radius, acceleration, average speed, height of cars, weight, length, height of doors(?). Even if some of the structural things were accounted for, it would be like placing a mid-tier sports car in the middle of a bunch of USPS trucks.