Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos
I think a lot of the more important corridors that could be considered are even still in better shape than the O-Train corridor was. Even then, it's not like no work went into rehabilitating that corridor for the pilot.
Take the corridor out towards Kanata for instance: the track is largely CWR and is even listed as class II (not usable for any kind of service, but an indication of its condition), also almost entirely grade separate. In my mind, that corridor would be ideal as consideration for another pilot.
|
Again. You keep talking about what track is available and not how much it would cost, how much ridership would be generated, and the opportunity cost of that spending. We don’t launch commuter rail service on every piece of rail sitting on a wooden tie somewhere.
Again, I ask, what are people willing to give up for this if trade offs have to be made. You willing to get bus service in your neighbourhood cut? You willing to put up with a shortening of Trillium Line extensions or delays to Confederation Stage 3?
Investment decisions often involve trade-offs like these. And I appreciate that Ottawa is being smart by targeting high ridership corridors first. Put it this way, whether it’s $10 million or $100 million, I’d rather see that money go towards bolstering the Trillium Line. $100 million would let us double track half of today’s Trillium Line. How much would that improve service? Would you rather have that or a literal handful of trains a day to Smiths’ Falls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa
I guess it depends what you define as burbs. The federal government has moved a lot of jobs further out over the last decade (CSC, DND, CBSA, RCMP, Public Service Commission). They have really only built three government buildings downtown over the last 20 years (EDC, Finance, PS).
|
A lot of that is consolidation from suburb to suburb though. I know that’s true on the DND side. DND isn’t abandoning downtown. By they are consolidating several buildings all over the city, some downtown, some not, into fewer larger campuses (Carling is 5 large campuses and a few satellite locations).
Also it’s not like buildings the feds vacate in the core are sitting vacant.