HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4421  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:45 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I have heard rumours that ikea is selling their buildings in an attempt to move into city centers - an ikea downtown would be amazing!
That honestly wouldn't surprise me too much. Many people purchasing from Ikeas are living in condos or starter condos, or apartments in downtown centres, most living in suburbs are buying slightly nicer products. So Ikea being within walking, busing or biking distance makes a lot more sense that driving distance for those who are purchasing the most from Ikea.

Not sure it would work in Hamilton, since Ikea is usually extremely busy, and needs lots of parking for pickups and such, but with their delivery service, I could see them putting a showroom alone in the downtown, or higher density areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4422  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 4:22 AM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I have heard rumours that ikea is selling their buildings in an attempt to move into city centers - an ikea downtown would be amazing!
IKEA is not moving from Burlington. They tryed to do that once before and it failed. If you take a look at the parking lot it is full every day with cars. And not just Ontario plated cars. There are a lot of New York plates in the parking lot especially on the weekend.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4423  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 5:28 AM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Hamilton Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
IKEA is not moving from Burlington. They tryed to do that once before and it failed. If you take a look at the parking lot it is full every day with cars. And not just Ontario plated cars. There are a lot of New York plates in the parking lot especially on the weekend.
maybe they'll open a new one downtown - all I said was I heard they were moving into city centers - doesn't mean they are moving into hamiltons. Or maybe there would be 2 - 1 in burlington and 1 in hamilton. For people who don't drive getting to the ikea in burlington is just a nightmare.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4424  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 5:22 PM
NortheastWind NortheastWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I have heard rumours that ikea is selling their buildings in an attempt to move into city centers - an ikea downtown would be amazing!
A Reuters article from a year ago that supports this. I think there would be enough of a customer base to support both stores. There's a lot of millennials who have or will be moving into Hamilton's core and don't have vehicles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4425  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 6:28 PM
hamilton23 hamilton23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
A Reuters article from a year ago that supports this. I think there would be enough of a customer base to support both stores. There's a lot of millennials who have or will be moving into Hamilton's core and don't have vehicles.
There's no question that an IKEA store would be a success in the core and in Hamilton in general.

I just don't know if you could squeeze one into the core. I think if IKEA's ever thought of opening a store in Hamilton, it would be on a massive parcel of land that could support it (i.e. the Mountain, Ancaster)

Stranger things have happened though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4426  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 6:48 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
There's no question that an IKEA store would be a success in the core and in Hamilton in general.

I just don't know if you could squeeze one into the core. I think if IKEA's ever thought of opening a store in Hamilton, it would be on a massive parcel of land that could support it (i.e. the Mountain, Ancaster)

Stranger things have happened though.
Multi-floor store in Stelco tower?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4427  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 6:57 PM
hamilton23 hamilton23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Multi-floor store in Stelco tower?
It's not impossible. I'm not saying that. I'm just thinking about the total square footage an IKEA store would need. They would need space for parking as well (and a lot of parking)

These urbanized stores that have been mentioned will probably open in larger cities first.

Think about it... If Downtown Toronto doesn't even have an IKEA yet, I doubt Hamilton gets one first.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4428  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:09 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,759
IKEA has only 14 stores in Canada. The Toronto area has the most in 3. One in Vaughan, Etobicoke and North York. All of their stores are located by highways. Their North America head office is in the Burlington store.

Quote:
In 2015, IKEA Canada announced its ambition to double the number of stores in Canada from 12 to 24 and expand from coast to coast. The London store will be the third stop on this journey. IKEA Halifax opened on September 27th, 2017 and IKEA Quebec City opened in late summer 2018. Scheduled to open in fall 2019, IKEA London will be the 15th IKEA store in Canada. It will be located at the intersection of Highway 401 and Wellington Road.
Quote:
IKEA Group is a leading home furnishing retailer with 343 stores in more than 28 countries worldwide (56 in North America).
With most stuff at IKEA, you need a vehicle. They do have and I have used, delivery and ordering on line. They are building stores over 350,000 sq ft. The Fortinos on Centennial and the one at Upper Centennial and Rymal are 110,000 sq ft.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4429  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 9:50 PM
durandy durandy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
It's not impossible. I'm not saying that. I'm just thinking about the total square footage an IKEA store would need. They would need space for parking as well (and a lot of parking)

These urbanized stores that have been mentioned will probably open in larger cities first.

Think about it... If Downtown Toronto doesn't even have an IKEA yet, I doubt Hamilton gets one first.
I think the idea here is a totally new, streamlined form of ikea. Mostly online, most of the stuff you buy gets shipped or picked up at the warehouse, little in the way of showrooms. They're getting ahead of retail trends where the physical store is a tiny extension of the online experience.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4430  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 10:29 PM
thistleclub thistleclub is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,729
Quote:
Mostly online, most of the stuff you buy gets shipped or picked up at the warehouse, little in the way of showrooms. They're getting ahead of retail trends where the physical store is a tiny extension of the online experience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Distributing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4431  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 10:41 PM
hamilton23 hamilton23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
I think the idea here is a totally new, streamlined form of ikea. Mostly online, most of the stuff you buy gets shipped or picked up at the warehouse, little in the way of showrooms. They're getting ahead of retail trends where the physical store is a tiny extension of the online experience.
Yes, I've actually seen one in St.Catherines, I believe? I could be wrong, but they do have one or more of these types of IKEA's in Ontario.

This could obviously work in the core and I'm sure it would be very popular.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4432  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 12:36 AM
mishap mishap is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
IKEA is not moving from Burlington.
True. They will be moving within Burlington though, to a larger location combined with their head office in the QEW/Walkers area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4433  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 1:24 AM
Chronamut's Avatar
Chronamut Chronamut is offline
Hamilton Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
There's no question that an IKEA store would be a success in the core and in Hamilton in general.

I just don't know if you could squeeze one into the core. I think if IKEA's ever thought of opening a store in Hamilton, it would be on a massive parcel of land that could support it (i.e. the Mountain, Ancaster)

Stranger things have happened though.
I dunno. I mean there IS a lot of space in the city center.. they could probably even branch out further into the mall.. pickup would definitely be a challenge though. Some major changes would have to be made for sure.. then again there are all those parking lots nearby..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4434  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 1:28 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
True. They will be moving within Burlington though, to a larger location combined with their head office in the QEW/Walkers area.
That idea was cancelled a few years back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4435  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 10:24 PM
timach timach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
The Ikea in Burlington was a zoo today. No chance in hell they come to Hamilton anytime soon. Everyone drives to that Burlington store
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4436  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:21 PM
anactualalien anactualalien is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 156
This building used to be a real eyesore with all the tagging. Looks like they took notice of the tower that'll be going up across the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4437  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 4:36 AM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
So this is something that I am interested in. Especially considering the city wants Club 77 to close.

This nightclub has a Facebook page that says they are coming soon to 62 King St E, which is in Gore park beside Burrito Boys.

https://www.facebook.com/mansionhamont/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4438  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 6:36 PM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
So this is something that I am interested in. Especially considering the city wants Club 77 to close.

This nightclub has a Facebook page that says they are coming soon to 62 King St E, which is in Gore park beside Burrito Boys.

https://www.facebook.com/mansionhamont/
If you're looking for a new club have you tried out the club in the picture right above your post. 154 Main St E.

https://www.sousbas.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4439  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 11:25 PM
TheRitsman TheRitsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
If you're looking for a new club have you tried out the club in the picture right above your post. 154 Main St E.

https://www.sousbas.com/
I actually have not. I've been meaning too but it's just in such a terrible location. It's near nothing else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4440  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 3:19 AM
atnor atnor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 396
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve been once and we all got the impression it was a gay bar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.