HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9601  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:37 PM
drizzo_613's Avatar
drizzo_613 drizzo_613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 233
Claridge Icon. Ottawa.

[IMG]Icon 45 floors by Alejo C, on Flickr[/IMG]
__________________
Ott-Gat [The Fraternal Twin Cities]
     
     
  #9602  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:01 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Damn, those Calgary projects seem so massive... the cancer centre, the library, the towers, all of it. Not just Texas where everything is bigger, it seems.

The library is amazing BTW, what a spectacular public amenity.
     
     
  #9603  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:50 AM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #9604  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:26 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Snapped these on the way out of the city last Sunday. She really is turning out stunning.



By me.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #9605  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:42 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9606  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:53 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Since I'm an OCAD student, I have this view consistently of the Artist's Alley site, it's actively being demolished;
DSC_8819 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
DSC_8820 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
Good riddance. I worked there roughly 15 years ago for a short period and it was depressing as hell. I presume the jobs were shipped out to Scarberia and Mississausage which would make my coworkers from back then very happy.
     
     
  #9607  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:56 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Snapped these on the way out of the city last Sunday. She really is turning out stunning.



By me.
The closer this one gets to completion the more stunning it looks. Brookfield is still better IMO for Telus certainly raises the bar for Calgary
     
     
  #9608  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:58 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
The Calgary Library interior looks great. I just wish I had never seen the renderings of the exterior. The rendered design gave a lofty grandness to the entrance which, in reality, looks low slung and dark.
     
     
  #9609  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 8:18 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The Calgary Library interior looks great. I just wish I had never seen the renderings of the exterior. The rendered design gave a lofty grandness to the entrance which, in reality, looks low slung and dark.
At least it doesn't look like a pre-fab warehouse in a Nisku industrial park like downtown Edmonton's does
     
     
  #9610  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:35 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Shoring has begun at Great Gulf's 357 King Street West.

height: 486 ft
storeys: 42
source: http://urbantoronto.ca
     
     
  #9611  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:04 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Always surprised to see apartment buildings with no balconies. There's no way I'd live in a place without some sort of private outdoor space. Seems like a serious downgrade to me
     
     
  #9612  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:15 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
And I'm the opposite. I would never use a balcony and I'd rather the interior sq footage. My fear of heights keeps me from wanting to go out on a balcony more then 5 or 6 floors up.
     
     
  #9613  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:33 PM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Shoring has begun at Great Gulf's 357 King Street West.
I've already posted an update on this a few weeks ago....
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
     
     
  #9614  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:35 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I've already posted an update on this a few weeks ago....


I missed it I was busy a few weeks back and probably missed a number of other posts as well. This morning was the first time I noticed shoring equipment actually working on the site.
     
     
  #9615  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:38 PM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,981
Alright then. I do wish this project had some retail...although personally a midrise would be better here.
__________________
"Living life on the edge"
     
     
  #9616  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:41 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Ya I'm sick of all the same height buildings in the area. It does look as though it will have retail or a restaurant. There is an "EAT" sign in the render on the corner. Like these 2 around the corner at roughly the same height 512 ft each.

source: http://urbantoronto.ca

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Nov 21, 2018 at 4:01 PM.
     
     
  #9617  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:37 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Always surprised to see apartment buildings with no balconies. There's no way I'd live in a place without some sort of private outdoor space. Seems like a serious downgrade to me
It's a smaller site. My guess balconies would eat up too much square footage
     
     
  #9618  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:45 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Alright then. I do wish this project had some retail...although personally a midrise would be better here.
I'm okay if there isn't room for retail. This represents tower intensification that I want to see more of in Toronto. It makes for an interesting streetscape than the half to full block podium developments going up in the downtown, Mississauga and, now Vaughan. There's also a tower planned between the two towers in the rendering.
     
     
  #9619  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:30 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
And I'm the opposite. I would never use a balcony and I'd rather the interior sq footage. My fear of heights keeps me from wanting to go out on a balcony more then 5 or 6 floors up.
Me too, I think standard balconies are useless. I'd much rather have a three season or year-round enclosed sun room.
     
     
  #9620  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:36 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Me too, I think standard balconies are useless. I'd much rather have a three season or year-round enclosed sun room.
I'd consider a sunroom as outdoor space.

When I had my condo in Calgary we used the balcony all the time. It wasn't huge but loved it out there. Had a little hibachi and a few tomato plants, and a couple chairs to sit out & enjoy a cocktail. I hate being cooped up indoors, and without that outdoor amenity you feel pent up inside. At least that's how I feel being in an apartment without a balcony.

Plus resale. At least here in Edmonton condos without balconies are not considered desirable. Maybe it's different in Toronto or other larger cities though.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.