HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12901  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 8:11 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

The Sears is massive not just for it's height, but also for it's girth. So many recent supertall towers are too skinny to make a similar impact.
I've said it a dozen times: Sears isn't the tallest skyscraper on Earth anymore, but it easily still the largest skyscraper on Earth. If you don't include giant midrise or lowrise malls attached to the base, the Sears still has a good 1,000,000 SF or so on any other highrise building on Earth. The only highrise buildings with a greater floor area than it are multi building complexes like Ren Center or big casinos. Other than complexes like that and the Pentagon, the only structures with comparable floor area are industrial complexes like the Boeing Everett Assembly, conference centers, and airports.

The Sears Tower is probably more similar functionality wise to a factory or conference center than it is to the little toothpicks full of luxury condos going up in NYC right now. It's a BIG building, the biggest actually. Like comparing a 6' 10" basketball center to a 6'4" defensive end. Ones taller, but one is much much bigger.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12902  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:48 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I've said it a dozen times: Sears isn't the tallest skyscraper on Earth anymore, but it easily still the largest skyscraper on Earth. If you don't include giant midrise or lowrise malls attached to the base, the Sears still has a good 1,000,000 SF or so on any other highrise building on Earth. The only highrise buildings with a greater floor area than it are multi building complexes like Ren Center or big casinos. Other than complexes like that and the Pentagon, the only structures with comparable floor area are industrial complexes like the Boeing Everett Assembly, conference centers, and airports.

The Sears Tower is probably more similar functionality wise to a factory or conference center than it is to the little toothpicks full of luxury condos going up in NYC right now. It's a BIG building, the biggest actually. Like comparing a 6' 10" basketball center to a 6'4" defensive end. Ones taller, but one is much much bigger.
You’d be surprised how big 432 Park is. I’m deep in Brooklyn and it dominates the skyline, and that new 1500 footer is beginning to loom even larger..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12903  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:06 PM
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY - Cali
Posts: 6,845
Quote:
You’d be surprised how big 432 Park is. I’m deep in Brooklyn and it dominates the skyline, and that new 1500 footer is beginning to loom even larger..

Right,

Steinway is a toothpick (although not a bad thing, it works with the design) but 432 and especially CPT are just extremely tall. In fact, both are wider than the narrow side of Sears (when viewed from East or West) towards the top of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12904  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:33 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,443
432 Park is slightly bigger than one of Sears' nine tubes, it is nowhere near the same scale.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12905  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:37 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
432 Park is slightly bigger than one of Sears' nine tubes, it is nowhere near the same scale.
No one's comparing them to the mighty Sears. But they're not toothpicks either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12906  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:52 PM
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY - Cali
Posts: 6,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
432 Park is slightly bigger than one of Sears' nine tubes, it is nowhere near the same scale.
I know, I wasn't saying that. I was saying that the Sears's top is "only" 75 feet wide when viewed from East or West. As opposed to 432 or CPC, which are both slightly under/over 100ft wide.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12907  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:09 AM
Ricochet48 Ricochet48 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: River North, Chicago
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I've said it a dozen times: Sears isn't the tallest skyscraper on Earth anymore, but it easily still the largest skyscraper on Earth
Off topic, but... Sears DOES have more square footage than Shanghai Tower, or the 600m Ping An Finance Centre in Shenzen, or even the bulkier Lotte World Tower (555m) in Seoul. The Makkah Hotel is Mecca is THICC as well as tall, but not many would 'count' that.

However, The Guangzhou CTF Finance center is both taller than the Sears Tower (including the antennas) and has more sqft--5.46MM to 4.48MM
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12908  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:35 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,443
^^^ Nope, but that's about as close they come:

Quote:
The skyscraper has a gross floor area of 5,464,633 square feet (507,681.0 m2), of which a little over 20% is not part of the skyscraper itself, but of the podium connected to it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangzhou_CTF_Finance_Centre

If 21% is in the podium, then there's at most 4,300,000 SF in the tower portion which is still nearly 200,000 SF shy of the Sears.

Speaking of, how much SF will Sears new base add?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12909  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:59 AM
J_M_Tungsten's Avatar
J_M_Tungsten J_M_Tungsten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,379
Thanks for the feedback on the photo uploading all. Somehow the watermark disappeared now

Anyway, the view from Rush has always been good. I’ve seen changes in the skyline from this view over the past 12 years. Seeing Trump Tower and the whole confluence/middle of the city rise has been awesome, and all that development in the 05-09 era is what got me into development (and this site...lurker for a while). Vista is poking through, and NEMA is making an impact south. Essex really stands out to the south of where I took this (blocked by University Hall in the photo). I’m looking forward to One Chicago, WPE, WPS, and the continued West Loop developments that are piercing through the low rise forest.

A wish list item would be to have several 600-900 footers in between Sears and NEMA. Aside from Essex, it’s pretty blah.

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Nov 3, 2018 at 1:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12910  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:21 AM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
Closeted Normie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 13,241
Favorite Sears face is from the south. Dan Ryan northbound with Sears getting closer and closer but still taking forever to reach it is a reminder of how epic and badass a tower that — really is. #ForeverSears
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12911  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:22 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
look at us still talking
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 6,685
Better keep your fingers crossed for 1000M!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12912  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:40 AM
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY - Cali
Posts: 6,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Better keep your fingers crossed for 1000M!
I like that building. Aren't sales not doing well though? I hope it goes up, that'd be awesome.

I believe there's also a taller tower (probably close to 1000 feet) planned between 1000M and NEMA. I'm not sure what the status of that is though or if it was just a vision.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12913  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 3:05 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
look at us still talking
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 6,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I like that building. Aren't sales not doing well though? I hope it goes up, that'd be awesome.

I believe there's also a taller tower (probably close to 1000 feet) planned between 1000M and NEMA. I'm not sure what the status of that is though or if it was just a vision.
I don't know, every time I walk past the sales office it's empty, but I'm not sure if that's a good indication or not. I'd really like all the holes in the Michigan Ave streetwall along the park to be filled in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12914  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 4:10 AM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
100% agree that the section between Van Buren and Roosevelt needs some major beefing up in the skyline to hep balance off the drop off from Sears/311 to NEMA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12915  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:28 PM
Suburban Shadow's Avatar
Suburban Shadow Suburban Shadow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Da 'Burbs - Chicago
Posts: 95
845 W Madison

I have not seen any foundation permits, but 845 W. Madison received permits for 2 tower cranes on 11/2. Start of construction looks to be near.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12916  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 3:11 PM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
I have not seen any foundation permits, but 845 W. Madison received permits for 2 tower cranes on 11/2. Start of construction looks to be near.
It's getting to the point that I have to do a search of the forum and internet to figure out which project is which address.

Here it is:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12917  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 3:20 PM
jc5680's Avatar
jc5680 jc5680 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
I have not seen any foundation permits, but 845 W. Madison received permits for 2 tower cranes on 11/2. Start of construction looks to be near.
When I walked by last weekend construction looked imminent.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12918  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 6:26 PM
rgarri4's Avatar
rgarri4 rgarri4 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,091
Here's "The MID" site proposal in my model. Obviously massing will update once renderings are released. As far as height goes I think it will fit in with everything else proposed in the area.





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12919  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 7:10 PM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
Always love the model posts rgarri4!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12920  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 7:53 PM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 519
Damn, I am loving that little cluster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.