Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe
If I were them, here is what I would do.
1) Cut the Canadian in 2, with the split in Winnipeg. This could fix the chronically late trains.
|
I would divide it up into more than 2 routes. Overnight trains are expensive to run (fewer people fit in a sleeper car than a standard coach) and many cities and towns end up with service in the middle of the night. As a result only tourists end up taking it from Vancouver to Toronto as it is cheaper to fly. Having reliable daytime intercity service would make it more usable. If there is demand for a transcontinental tourist train, let a private company operate it.
Quote:
|
2) Reinstate The Dominion. Basically, have it in 2 sections as well. Both cut in Winnipeg. The part through Ontario could go through Thunder Bay and SSM before heading south in Sudbury.
|
This is the route The Canadian had from its creation in 1955 by the CPR until 1990 when VIA Rail decided to cancel it and rename the
Super Continental to The Canadian. I do agree that certain portions of this should be re-instated as daylight service, but it is a pipe dream to have all of it again.
Quote:
|
3) have a train run between Calgary and Edmonton. The tracks are there, and that route is heaveily used, so adding a train would likely work well. I know the rails are in bad shape, but if the Federal government are going to throw money aroudn for rail transit, the can and should thow money at things like this.
|
I highly agree this should be done. It could eventually be HSR, but don't let that be an obstacle to the reinstatement of rail service.
Quote:
|
I would be nice to hear that effective November 1 2018, Via has new routes.
|
Unfortunately that is a pipe dream. VIA doesn't own enough equipment to do this if they wanted to. They could take over the bus service by buying Greyhound's buses and then integrate it with their rail network. They could then work out a long term plan to decide what should be done with trains and what should be kept as bus service.